• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-Need answers to questions & Opinions on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I just picked up one of these off Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

It's the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 and I have a few questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those of you that have this card are you able to run nearly anything off this at a decent resolution?

Would I benefit from getting another of these and doing an SLI setup? Is the performance increase work the extra $400

Are there any well known problems with this card?

What's the max wattage of this card at full tilt? I'm running the HX 1050 so power is not an issue

Anything else I need to know?????

I just picked up one of these off Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

It's the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 and I have a few questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those of you that have this card are you able to run nearly anything off this at a decent resolution?

Would I benefit from getting another of these and doing an SLI setup? Is the performance increase work the extra $400

Are there any well known problems with this card?

What's the max wattage of this card at full tilt? I'm running the HX 1050 so power is not an issue

Anything else I need to know?????

Of course you can run most games with a 970, as long as it's not 4k. They tend to have coil whine (squealing)but this doesn't affect the card itself. They scale very well, but if you're on 1080p then one would do fine. Anything above 1080, then I would go SLI to keep most games maxed out (excluding 4K) As for your PSU, you have plenty to power a bundle of them.

Most games at higher res than 1080p will also work fine on single gtx970. Only single titles at max details will have problems ( usually it's lazy programmers fault ). I wouldn't spend money on 2nd card before you check how it's working on one card. Most users make that mistake and spend money even though they don't really need it.

Of course you can run most games with a 970, as long as it's not 4k. They tend to have coil whine (squealing)but this doesn't affect the card itself. They scale very well, but if you're on 1080p then one would do fine. Anything above 1080, then I would go SLI to keep most games maxed out (excluding 4K) As for your PSU, you have plenty to power a bundle of them.
I keep noticing that term coil whine when I look at reviews for the 970. It's funny I've been working on computers for 20 years and I am still unfamiliar with the term. Is " coil whine" an indication of a problem with the card or is it perfectly normal for this particular series of card. I was looking at getting the 980 but for a modest " by the numbers" 30% increase it was not worth the extra $250+ especially when I am seeing on a lot of forums that SLI'd 970's like mine are destroying the 980 in real world performance.

Normal depending on the hardware used.

Sure 2 970's beat a single 980, but with the hassle of two cards (power/noise/heat), not 100% scaling making the amount you paid not what you are getting performance wise.

I only rock more than one card when one card can't handle what I want to do. I play games at 2560x1440 and a single 980 doesn't flinch with any titles there.

I keep noticing that term coil whine when I look at reviews for the 970. It's funny I've been working on computers for 20 years and I am still unfamiliar with the term. Is " coil whine" an indication of a problem with the card or is it perfectly normal for this particular series of card. I was looking at getting the 980 but for a modest " by the numbers" 30% increase it was not worth the extra $250+ especially when I am seeing on a lot of forums that SLI'd 970's like mine are destroying the 980 in real world performance.

I wouldn't say it's perfectly normal, but the manufacturers are claiming it is. In my experience when a PSU gets coil whine, in the nit too distant future it will also be ready for a fireworks show. I really wouldn't like to own an electronic device that is shrieking, but that's just me.

I guess some of the guys above aren't playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, where a single 970 is getting 32fps. That to me isn't ever going to cut it, which is why I strongly recommend 2. If you're playing mostly older games, you'll have no problem maxing them out @ 2560 x 1440.

Check out the card rankings here for DA:I

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Last edited:
I've installed it into my machine but it's doing very weird things.

I installed the 347.09 drivers that came out yesterday and every single benchmark utility I've used is crashing.

UniEngine / 3dMark crash crash crash about 60% of the time.

I don't hear a lick of coil whine though but truthfully in all honesty I doubt it can overpower the 7 fans I have going on in this case.

Looks purdy though :D - Don't give me too much crap about my Evo cooler I still can't get the damn thing to mount the other way. I'm gonna replace it with an h100i in a week or so anyway.
Wind2.jpg

Back