• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VOIP for LAN only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Looking for something me and my brother can use to talk over LAN with eachother.
Mainly because he never sees what I type and because my dad goes to bed early every night.

I've tried VOIP Caller Extreme and it's exactly what I want, but the audio quality leaves something to be desired.

I'd like to be able to "call" my brother as well. (Kinda like Skype I guess?)
Preferably free, and we both Run Windows 7 x64.

Thanks! :)

If audio quality (and latency) is a concern, go for Mumble.

The standard for voice chat (with gaming in mind) is Ventrilo or Teamspeak. Though they all require a server (think IRC text chat, but with voice).

If you want something to actually "call", there's Steams built in chat, which includes voice, and of course Skype.

If audio quality (and latency) is a concern, go for Mumble.

The standard for voice chat (with gaming in mind) is Ventrilo or Teamspeak. Though they all require a server (think IRC text chat, but with voice).

If you want something to actually "call", there's Steams built in chat, which includes voice, and of course Skype.

I was thinking Skype, but I'm unaware if I can simple "call" his IP if you will...
Might try and figure out mumble and how to setup a mumble server too.

Skype and Steam require you to be online in order to "call" each other. Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and Mumble can be setup for your own internal LAN only, but require you to setup a server (not that difficult at all when talking about LAN only), and you don't "call" each other, but rather join the same server.

just setup a teamspeak server its free uses almost no resources, and if you decide to you can open the port and have friends join as well.
but as long as you just point to the pc's lan address e.g. 192.168.0.25. then it wont use the internet at all.

edit: err yea what they said. haha teamspeak i think is the most user friendly imo.

Well I setup a Ventrillo server and setup the clients on both machines, and it's wonderful :)

Much better audio quality, and easier on the bandwidth since you need only press alt to talk.

So yeah, Ventrillo ftw!
Thanks guys! :D

Back