• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a little help with my new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheaptoad

Registered
My apologies if this is not the proper thread but, here it goes.

All hardware is done. Now is time to install software. When i go to start, the screen is blank. At first i plugged my monitor into the vga on the mb. Nothing. My new card doesn't have a vga. It has hdmi and dvi.

First question. Would the computer auto default to the vga on the mb or only look for the video card?

Im thinking i may need to get a dvi cable. I just bought this darn monitor and no hdmi? What do you want for $200?

Im hoping that is my only problem. Shouldn't something be on the screen? Even the bios from the mb. The ssd isn't formated yet. I have a bootable usb plugged in.

Let's just start there.

Thanx
Ct

If you have a video card installed the system will attempt to output to the video card by default.
You're going to need to run a cable from the GPU to the monitor to get things going.

Alternatively, you can try removing the GPU. Your motherboard video out should then work, and you can install windows and your motherboard drivers and have things ready for when your DVI cable shows up. Installing the video card after Windows has already been installed is no problem.

Thanx. I'm just gong to run to microcenter tomorrow and pick up an hdmi adapter.

I'm sure York you'll all be on pins and needles waiting to know how this turns out.

The monitor has dvi and vga the gpu has dvi and hdmi. So, all I need is a dvi connector on one end of the hdmi cable

The monitor has dvi and vga the gpu has dvi and hdmi. So, all I need is a dvi connector on one end of the hdmi cable

You can just get DVI to DVI cable since it delivers digital signal just like HDMI. If you don't have a monitor that goes up to 1444p or ulta HD then DVI should work just as well.

Since I have a hdmi cable I figure it will be less expensive just for an adapter

So, im ready to through this thing out the window.

I couldnt get the hdmi cable to work with a dvi converter. So, i took the card out and used the onboard vga. It worked. Probably has something to do with not having up to date drivers or the bios.

Now i had a new problem. The system didn't recognize my flash drive. I was able to get into the bios and all it saw was the unformatted ssd. The bios didn't give me a choice to change the boot configuration.

So, after trying that for a bit (and not working). Since it didnt see any os i took my old hd out of my other computer and put it in the new one. It still only saw the ssd. No flash drive and no hd.

Ok, next i tried taking my old optical drive and run the new bios cd. But, my old drive has an old ribbon cable which cant be used anywhere.

Now an even better problem. Up until now tge new system was at least turning on. Fans going and all that good stuff. All of a sudden i go to turn it on again after putting in my old hd, and now its dead. No power at all. The outlet is fine, the cables are fine, i tried resetting the psu according to the manual and no good.

How in the world coukd i have blown a new psu?

My old computer has a 550w psu which I'll try to use once i calm down.

I need to lay down.

Who lives in nj and wants to come help me?

Sigh..........

The drivers or bios shouldn't have anything to do with that issue...

The other drive(s) are not recognized in the bios at all? Boot order is one thing, but are they showing in boot priority?

Ok, new I nfo. I just put the psu from my old computer. Everything seemed to be working, for about 10 seconds. Then IT also died. At least the first one lasted about 2 hours.

any ideas?

Ok, new I nfo. I just put the psu from my old computer. Everything seemed to be working, for about 10 seconds. Then IT also died. At least the first one lasted about 2 hours.

any ideas?

We need more information. By "everything seemed to be working" do you mean that you actually got a video signal for 10 seconds? What do you mean by "it died". Did your whole system lose power?

When you used the video directly from the motherboard, how long did that "last" before it shut down? You may have a faulty electrical outlet/circuit or a faulty motherboard by the sound of things.

With the first psu. I was able to get to the bios and attempt to change the settings using my vga. Then aftef about 2 hours of working and shutting the system on and off in between it stopped working. No fans no lights no video.

Psu number 2. Unplugged everything from the mobo except the 2 main power cables. Once i tested it for about 30 seconds and saw the lights on and the fans going I shut the system down and plugged in the hdmi cable into the mobo and the other end into my monitor with the dvi converter. I turned on the computer and the fans started lights went on. For about 2 seconds.

That's where im am now.

i am going contact the company I bought them from and try to get a replacement? And start fresh.

Last edited:
With the first psu. I was able to get to the bios and attempt to change the settings using my vga. Then aftef about 2 hours of working and shutting the system on and off in between it stopped working. No fans no lights no video.

Psu number 2. Unplugged everything from the mobo except the 2 main power cables. Once i tested it for about 30 seconds and saw the lights on and the fans going I shut the system down and plugged in the hdmi cable into the mobo and the other end into my monitor with the dvi converter. I turned on the computer and the fans started lights went on. For about 2 seconds.

That's where im am now.

Should i just contact the company I bought them from and try to get a replacement?

Did you take off your old HD and then try to power on your system again? Maybe ur old HD is causing a short circuit, coz blowing up two PSUs in such a short time under these circumstances, welo I'd say is least possible.

Back