• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a little help with my new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree. Could I be shorting out something from hooking up the psu?

Short of posting extremely detailed pics of everything its hard to say...

Lets start simple- did you install the mobo standoffs properly and screw down the mobo with the proper screws? I/O shield installed properly? PSU plugged into a properly grounded outlet?

Update.

I just picked up a cheap psu to test the mobo. I also am using my good power strip. I got a portable optical drive to use my win7 reset disc.

Guess what? As of this minute windows is installing on my ssd.

It installed. Props to tge person that mentioned the electrical outlet. The house was built in 1950

Update.

I just picked up a cheap psu to test the mobo. I also am using my good power strip. I got a portable optical drive to use my win7 reset disc.

Guess what? As of this minute windows is installing on my ssd.

It installed. Props to tge person that mentioned the electrical outlet. The house was built in 1950

You haven't updated your wiring since 1950? That's no good. Sort of dangerous too.

Thanx for the heads up.

One more question.

The new win7 install cant see my wifi dongle. When i press the wps on the adapter no light goes on. And if i cant get this to work i cant get the current drivers.

Device manager does see it but with a yellow caution sign.

Thanx for the heads up.

One more question.

The new win7 install cant see my wifi dongle. When i press the wps on the adapter no light goes on. And if i cant get this to work i cant get the current drivers.

Can't help you there. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'd consider a decent quality UPS unit given your wiring situation though, if funds are available that is. Happy Holidays and Good Night.

Make sure the USB wifi thing is in a USB2 port. If you plug it into a blue USB3 port the controller may not be native and require drives for the USB port to work.

Also consider a PCIE Wifi card with some proper 5dbi antennae on it for better signal and a better user experience. You can get cheap ones starting at about $20USD.

A few more issues with my new build

Number 1 . The sata cables from my hd stick out past where my side cover is. I just found the 90 degree sata cables. I'll buy a few. It just doesnt make sense that the cables stick out so far. Can i out them in backwards?

Number 2. Im getting video from my mobo in the hdmi port but nothing from my video card.

Number 3. When I had all 3 of my hd plugged in nothing happened until i left only the ssd with windows on it.

Mereged duplicate threads about this build and its initial issues...

1. No. Look at the plug and see if you can put it in backwards (you can't).
2. Did you plug the power in the card? What do mean by nothing? Elaborate.
3. Boot order was likely wrong. Change it.

Mereged duplicate threads about this build and its initial issues...

1. No. Look at the plug and see if you can put it in backwards (you can't).
2. Did you plug the power in the card? What do mean by nothing? Elaborate.
3. Boot order was likely wrong. Change it.

I was talking about putting the hard drive in backwards i.e.: cable side first.
I was able to find the issue with my video card.

Shouldn't I be able to at least see the other drives once I plug them in? I can hear them spinning.

I was talking about putting the hard drive in backwards i.e.: cable side first.
I was able to find the issue with my video card.

Shouldn't I be able to at least see the other drives once I plug them in? I can hear them spinning.

You may have to mount the drives. Right click MY COMPUTER/THIS PC and click manage. Click on storage on the right hand side of the window that pops up. Find your drives and mount them. This should make them usable from within the OS.

Back