• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Core vs Quad Core with HT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FooBarBaz

Registered
I'm a little unsure of what the better CPU+GPU combo will be for 1080p gaming: an R9 290 and a Xeon E3-1231v3 or a GTX 970 and an i5 4590. I couldn't really decide if this thread makes more sense in the CPU or GPU forum, but I'll go with the CPU forum. I already have an H81 LGA 1150 board (Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V) with a BIOS recent enough to run any Haswell Refresh chip (currently running a G3258). My case is an NZXT Source 220 with two 120mm intakes on the front and a side 120mm intake, so I think I'm good on cooling. My power supply is an Antec Neo Eco 620C which claims to run a continuous 576W on the +12V rail, so I should be able to power an R9 290 no problem. If I buy R9 290, it has to be either the Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 or the PowerCooler PCS+ R9 290, since these seem to be the two best overall R9 290's on the market (since the Vapor-X seems to have disappeared). I will not buy a Z97 board so I'm not likely to overclock my CPU, though my board does allow overclocking up to a 1.2V vcore limit. But with the i5-4690k going back to $240 I'm not really interested in it. I'm also not interested in waiting for the GTX 960, since it keeps sounding like a steaming pile of crap. I'm not going to wait two months for AMD's R9 300 release either, since I'm running on integrated graphics right now.

So the main question guiding my decision is just how much the Xeon's hyperthreading is worth to me. I know most for games on the market a quad-core i5 from Sandy Bridge or later pretty much runs anything without bottlenecking when your target is 60FPS. The locked i5 CPU bottleneck really only seems to reveal itself most of the time when aiming for 120/144Hz refresh in an SLI/Crossfire system, and I have no desire to do SLI/CF nor buy a 120/140Hz monitor (I'm not an online FPS gamer). And even then it doesn't seem to be a huge bottleneck vs running a 4690k/4790k at 4.5 GHz. But there are a couple of games already out there where the Xeon/i7 hyperthreading seems to matter: for instance, locked 60FPS on Crysis 3 seems achievable only on High, and not Very High, system spec with an i5, whereas the hyperthreading allows just enough headroom to hit that target on Very High (I'm guessing this is because of the physics done on the CPU?). Dragon Age Inquisition seems to favor 4C/8T vs 4C/4T also. Then again, tons of games like Far Cry 4 prefer the i5 and the HT on an i7 seems to actually introduce a bit of a penalty.

I keep going back and forth between i5 and Xeon. On one hand the i5 gives me the budget for a slightly better video card. On the other hand, the Xeon seems more future proof. I say it seems more future proof because everyone knows rushed PC ports are the rule, and not the exception when it comes to gaming. And the target machines for AAA developers (X1 and PS4) have 8 cores, 6 of which are used for gaming. Being that they have weak per core performance, the i5 does an incredible job bludgeoning its way through lousy ports thanks to the night and day difference in per core performance in it vs the weak Jaguar APUs.

Of course future proofing a system is often a costly way to not get a whole lot more performance with no guarantees. Being the increased utilization of the CPU thanks to HT only gives the equivalent of about 30% of an extra core per HT core in highly predictable workloads like serving webpages, I'm thinking if I ever truly need to run 6-8 threads of roughly even workload, the Xeon will be obsolete anyways. By then Intel will have to be selling hexacore or octacore i5's at $200 to combat AMD's octacores.

I know the complexity of writing highly threaded code is so much more than writing single threaded due to needing to have data synchronized between the threads. And it just now seems that games are finally being written for quad cores. I wonder what kind of time delay there will be before writing a game for an octacore becomes economical. I mean you can't just walk in and tell your developers to double the parallalization of their code and expect it to happen right away. So, I'm leaning towards the i5-4590 being the CPU to get for hopefully three years of really strong gaming performance. And with that $50 savings between CPUs by taking the i5 over the Xeon, I can go with the safer choice of an EVGA GTX 970 vs the more economical but more dangerous choice of the R9 290, as the 290s seem to get RMA'ed a lot. Maybe the last thing that points me in the i5+970 direction is the lower driver overhead for Nvidia vs AMD, which doesn't matter now at with an i5 or better (but does with an i3 or worse), since if my i5 is all of a sudden on par with a 2017 i3 in two years, if trends hold in drivers I'm better with Nvidia when a quad core could become a bottleneck.

Thoughts on my choice? This is strictly about gaming performance. Am I dead wrong somewhere in my reasoning, so that the Xeon+290 makes more sense? Am I forgetting something major? The cost of Haswell-E or Ivy Bridge-E for hexacore i7's is way beyond what I'm willing to spend, and I'm not interested at all in AMD CPUs right now (though hopefully they'll make themselves relevant again in 2016).

Last edited:
Steamroller based FX cpus are due in the near future, in any case I dont see a reason why you shouldnt bite the bullet and get a vishera. They will handle anything you throw at it and with the money you save you can get a 290x or a 980, better video which is more important then CPU for gaming.

If you play at high rez you wont notice a difference between a vishera or the intel cpus you mentioned. Maybe a few fps but when it comes to money you make the choice.....

Steamroller based FX cpus are due in the near future, in any case I dont see a reason why you shouldnt bite the bullet and get a vishera. They will handle anything you throw at it and with the money you save you can get a 290x or a 980, better video which is more important then CPU for gaming.

If you play at high rez you wont notice a difference between a vishera or the intel cpus you mentioned. Maybe a few fps but when it comes to money you make the choice.....

Yes but AM3+ is a dead socket whereas Z97 leaves you open to Broadwell CPUs. If that doesn't matter to the OP though by all means consider an FX system on something like a Gigabyte 970AUD3P board.

Yes but AM3+ is a dead socket whereas Z97 leaves you open to Broadwell CPUs. If that doesn't matter to the OP though by all means consider an FX system on something like a Gigabyte 970AUD3P board.

I doubt AM3+ is dead, if AMD follows their usual patern AM4 cpus should have a DDR3 memory controller as well and be compatible with AM3+ mobos. Ill bet money steamrollers will work on AM3+ boards.

just get the 4690K and a 970 gpu, if you have the budget up it to the 4790k and a 980, you're way over thinking this.

It was mentioned long time ago that AM3+ won't be continued and even if we see any new CPU then it will be based on similar cores so generally old and slow technology. There is no AM4 in plans. Officially AMD is moving to SoC and other APU stuff. There is something on which they are working and it will be probably high performance desktop series ( maybe server too ) but we have no idea what to expect after so many weak desktop chips.

Best for gaming seems i5 4690K which is beating any AMD in 95% games. It's also letting you set higher clock so it will last longer especially that every 4690K can easily run at 4.2GHz+ at not much higher voltage than stock. Add GTX970 and you get optimal setup for 1080p nowadays.

It was mentioned long time ago that AM3+ won't be continued and even if we see any new CPU then it will be based on similar cores so generally old and slow technology. There is no AM4 in plans. Officially AMD is moving to SoC and other APU stuff. .

I never said AM3+ will be continued dude. Plz re read what I said, AMDs trend has always been backwards compatibility with new CPUs just like AM3 worked on AM2+.
As for "officially" I beg to differ, I already have confirmed with an AMD insider there will be FX steamrollers but he can not tell me when. ;)

steam rollers are out, in apu's, on fm2+, am3+ is dead.

Yes I know that there are APU steamroller and I know AM3+ is dead, but thats not my point. My point is that AM4 or whatever they are going to call it WILL be compatible with AM3+ boards, its AMDs trend since AMx sockets started.

I never said AM3+ will be continued dude. Plz re read what I said, AMDs trend has always been backwards compatibility with new CPUs just like AM3 worked on AM2+.
As for "officially" I beg to differ, I already have confirmed with an AMD insider there will be FX steamrollers but he can not tell me when. ;)

I doubt AM3+ is dead, if AMD follows their usual patern AM4 cpus should have a DDR3 memory controller as well and be compatible with AM3+ mobos. Ill bet money steamrollers will work on AM3+ boards.

:shrug:

AMDs trend has always been backwards compatibility with new CPUs just like AM3 worked on AM2+.

Even AM3+ CPUs are not compatible with all AM3+ boards. This backward compatibility is a joke ( and all are giving it as an AMD advantage for some reason ) as in every case older boards had problems with power delivery, slightly different sockets or other things. You could run AM2+ CPU on AM3/+ boards but not really other way. Also newer boards have always BIOSes with new microcode so older chips are overclocking worse.
AMD is like 3 years behind Intel and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Even AM3+ CPUs are not compatible with all AM3+ boards. This backward compatibility is a joke ( and all are giving it as an AMD advantage for some reason ) as in every case older boards had problems with power delivery, slightly different sockets or other things. You could run AM2+ CPU on AM3/+ boards but not really other way. Also newer boards have always BIOSes with new microcode so older chips are overclocking worse.
AMD is like 3 years behind Intel and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Its the other way around AM3 cpus work on AM2+ boards. AM2=DDR2 memory

AM3 CPUs had two memory controllers one DDR2 and one DDR3. I was running phenomIIs (yes the AM3 versions) in a AM2+ DFI Lanparty board no problems with anything you describe, no problems OCing, hey it was a DFI!!! and no jokes like you claim :D

BUt hey when steamroller FXs arrive and my prediction on backwards compatibility turns out correct Ill be more then happy to show you what this CHV can do with a steamroller ;)

Last edited:
Its the other way around AM3 cpus work on AM2+ boards. AM2=DDR2 memory

AM3 CPUs had two memory controllers one DDR2 and one DDR3. I was running phenomIIs (yes the AM3 versions) in a AM2+ DFI Lanparty board no problems with anything you describe, no problems OCing, hey it was a DFI!!! and no jokes like you claim :D

BUt hey when steamroller FXs arrive and my prediction on backwards compatibility turns out correct Ill be more then happy to show you what this CHV can do with a steamroller ;)

I'm testing everything and I'm not on any side but it's not hard to see that AMD is much slower at nearly every price point. I had FX8120/8320 and couple of other AMD CPUs. I sold them just because Intel was much better for everything I was using. AMD for me is only a good toy for overclocking. I wish it was different but it isn't.

You was running Phenom II on AM2+ motherboard without issues just because they're designed for AM2+ socket.
If you were overclocking Phenoms or Semprons on 990FX board at high fsb then you would know what I'm talking about when I mention CPU microcode. Also check how many newer AM3+ boards have wattage limit below 100W and how many AMD cpus have 125W+ TDP. I don't know if all guys who were thinking about CPU upgrade are really happy about it and can call AMD future proof platform.

Maybe CHV is good motherboard ( actually one of the best I was testing ) but how many similar you can find ? 3 ? ... all others are garbage, can read about various issues in AMD section threads.

You was running Phenom II on AM2+ motherboard without issues just because they're designed for AM2+ socket.
If you were overclocking Phenoms or Semprons on 990FX board at high fsb then you would know what I'm talking about when I mention CPU microcode. Also check how many newer AM3+ boards have wattage limit below 100W and how many AMD cpus have 125W+ TDP. I don't know if all guys who were thinking about CPU upgrade are really happy about it and can call AMD future proof platform.

Maybe CHV is good motherboard ( actually one of the best I was testing ) but how many similar you can find ? 3 ? ... all others are garbage, can read about various issues in AMD section threads.

Umm PhenomIIs were both AM2+ short lived and then transitioned to AM3....

And yes I had a thuban on a 990FX AM3+ board and got it to almost 4 ghz :)

As for others being garbage your judging AMD by a few bad apples mouth. Ask anyone with UD3s or Extreme9s or saberkittys if their boards suck. The ChV-Z is just the creeme of the crop. Sure they throttle thats the only issue, but I solved that by ghetto rigging some 40mm fans on my VRMs heatsinks :D
Only Asrock and Asus boards do that, they have a built in feature that even with APM off it will throttle if VRM overheats.

Ghetto rigging saves the day as usual

Umm PhenomIIs were both AM2+ short lived and then transitioned to AM3....

And yes I had a thuban on a 990FX AM3+ board and got it to almost 4 ghz :)

As for others being garbage your judging AMD by a few bad apples mouth. Ask anyone with UD3s or Extreme9s or saberkittys if their boards suck. The ChV-Z is just the creeme of the crop. Sure they throttle thats the only issue, but I solved that by ghetto rigging some 40mm fans on my VRMs heatsinks :D
Only Asrock and Asus boards do that, they have a built in feature that even with APM off it will throttle if VRM overheats.

Ghetto rigging saves the day as usual

I had UD5 = garbage. Gigabyte failed PCB design and power section. The same was in UD3 ( long list of threads about it on the forums ). Also RAID settings were bugged and I was making guides how to set RAID on Gigabyte forums. MSI boards were dying ( especially these lower series ). Right now still most boards are not prepared for overclocking and power section is overheating.
Even on CHV I had to use additional cooler or everything was too hot. "ghetto rigging" shouldn't have place in a board designed for overclocking. For me it's just a fail. Compare it to Intel. I was benching 5820K up to 5.8GHz on DICE yesterday and I didn't even have to use fan on power section. I don't know if you see my point.

In games you have to set 1GHz higher CPU clock on AMD to reach Intel's performance so I just have no idea why in a thread where someone is asking for good gaming CPU is even mentioned AMD. 8 thread FX has general performance of i5 while it has higher wattage, generates more heat, is harder to OC and needs good board to even start overclocking.
You have AMD and it's fine. Everyone can have what he likes but it doesn't mean it's best option for someone else.

I had UD5 = garbage. Gigabyte failed PCB design and power section. The same was in UD3 ( long list of threads about it on the forums ). Also RAID settings were bugged and I was making guides how to set RAID on Gigabyte forums. MSI boards were dying ( especially these lower series ). Right now still most boards are not prepared for overclocking and power section is overheating.
Even on CHV I had to use additional cooler or everything was too hot. "ghetto rigging" shouldn't have place in a board designed for overclocking. For me it's just a fail. Compare it to Intel. I was benching 5820K up to 5.8GHz on DICE yesterday and I didn't even have to use fan on power section. I don't know if you see my point.

In games you have to set 1GHz higher CPU clock on AMD to reach Intel's performance so I just have no idea why in a thread where someone is asking for good gaming CPU is even mentioned AMD. 8 thread FX has general performance of i5 while it has higher wattage, generates more heat, is harder to OC and needs good board to even start overclocking.
You have AMD and it's fine. Everyone can have what he likes but it doesn't mean it's best option for someone else.

pimp-c-white-mink-bling.jpg

Church!

Preach it brother!!

MSI yes are crap imho no matter intel or AMD

You said UD5 differeent board. In any case UD3 had its problems with earlier revisions, seems like with new 4.0 revision ppl are fine and even getting 5ghz OCs.

As for your constant defending of intel, show me an intel CPU for 150 bucks that can do what an 8350 can do, thank you.

MSI yes are crap imho no matter intel or AMD

You said UD5 differeent board. In any case UD3 had its problems with earlier revisions, seems like with new 4.0 revision ppl are fine and even getting 5ghz OCs.

Don't hate the player, Zakarro. Hate the game. :p. Seriously though dude... since we're in the Intel forum I feel safe saying that in the midrange, high end, and enthusiast segments, Intel mops the floor with AMD. Out of 1,000,000 things you could do with your computer there are maybe 5,000 where FX 8 core is going to give you a (slightly) better experience than Intel. And most people don't do those things.

Back