• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 4790k Undervolt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

Just sat in my 4790k last night. Temps were at about 28-34C idle. I'd jump into a BF4 game and or use chrome and the fans would kickup an temps would shoot off to 80C after a bit. Cleaned chip and h80i surface really well then resat with smaller than pea size drop in center. Got the current temps show in photos just using chrome. Will reapply paste again tomorrow. After I do so do you guys think I could possibly undervolt a bit to help with temps? I haven't bothered with OC'ing in a while so don't recall what voltages to tweak haha. Would it be VID?

Attachments

• 2014-12-22_131406.png
    2014-12-22_131406.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 5,041
Last edited:
Sure you can... Try it. ;)

Vcore/core voltage. VID is a term for stock voltage.

Last edited:
By about how much should I increment it down? Not sure what would be good at 4ghz for this chip

your motherboard, like many others, is setting vcore too high it is going up to 1.296, not to mention ring volts at 1.3v.

The mobo manufacturers decided to ignore 4790k intended turbo, and ramp turbo on all 4 cores all the time (regardless of power), and hence increase vcore requirement as well (not that anyone is complaining about that additional "overclock"). Some Asus boards have the ability to turn off the multicore enhancement feature, which will drop your auto stock volts down to 1.1 to 1.2 range, and then your cpu will just turbo to 44 on 2 cores (depending on power).

But there is probably 90% chance you can drop your vcore down even allowing 44 multi on all cores, not to mention change your vring down to 1.15 or so (stock vring is 1.05v on most).

I would just leave multi as is, and set vcore manually to 1.2, and then walk it down from there. 1.2v for 4.4ghz.

If you go all the way down to 4 without turbo, it will likely be 1.05 to 1.1v range.

RGE got you started well... good framework there. Thing is, not every chip is the same, so finding the lowest stable voltage will be a trial and error process. :)

Reapplied paste and so far I'm stable at 1.185 with temps in the high 30's for normal use. Peaks in low 60's now when gaming. Will def be adjusting the rest. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The primary focus was temps. Those are stable now but I have some other things to work out before I come back and lower voltages as low as possible.

The other things that needed tweaking had nothing to do with the cpu. I was looking to drop voltages on the cpu because I was running xfire and temps were warm at the time. Wanted to save as much power as possible for the gpus and run as cool as possible on stock clocks.

Just for reference, this 4790S (3.2 base, turbos to 4.0) idles at 0.582v (all cores at 800mhz) and goes up to 1.130v (with multi-core enhancement on - all cores at 4.0).

Obviously at 4.4 yours will probably require more voltage. Is 1.185 as low as you can go?

No I just set that voltage for the time being. It was just a random number I chose to be honest haha. I am back to stock for now because one of the gpus is having problems. If I return it I may actually OC instead. Will be trying to undervolt sometime this weekend though then stressing.

Back