• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G3258 Overclocking guide pleaseeeeeee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techsavy123

Registered
Hi guys and girls I'm new to overcoockers.com and I'm really happy to find a community of over clockers like me. My system:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
Cooler: CM Hyper 212x
RAM: Geil 4GB 2166Mhz
MOBO: Asus h97 plus
Case: Corsair spec 03
Monitor: LG Flatron 27" LCD LED
Storage: 1TB Seagate 7200rpm HDD
PSU: Enermax 650w

So could I please have some overclocking guides because I'm getting cooler and cpu at Christmas!!!! YAY! So anyway thanks guys and girls and have a very merry Christmas!!!! :)

It's pretty straight forward up to about 4.5Ghz or so. All you have to do is adjust multiplier and vcore. You may also have to adjust load line calibration. That'ss about it.

Read the Haswell overclocking guide in the Intel Stickes thread iin Intel Cpus. I applies to the 3258 as well. You can get some high OCs with that Hyper 212 as the 3258 is a pretty low wattage chip.

When I overclocked my 3258 a couple of weeks ago I got to 4.4Ghz (I wasn't aiming for record breaking) by just adjusting Vcore and multiplier. It was very easy.

That sucks. Mine does it on 1.18V, though I keep uncore at stock.

You guys are gonna make me cry. My CPU is so bad it wouldn't even handle the Auto OC on the Z97 Anniversary board to 4.2Ghz which is about 1.288V if I recall correctly. It's that terrible.
I wonder if it was dropped on its head when it was cut from the wafer.

You guys are gonna make me cry. My CPU is so bad it wouldn't even handle the Auto OC on the Z97 Anniversary board to 4.2Ghz which is about 1.288V if I recall correctly. It's that terrible.
I wonder if it was dropped on its head when it was cut from the wafer.

You should delid to see if the die has a round edge. Maybe it was cut from the side of the wafer and QA called in sick that day.

You should delid to see if the die has a round edge. Maybe it was cut from the side of the wafer and QA called in sick that day.

Are you being serious? Is that even possible?

No doubt this is an "edge of the wafer/should never have passed Q/A" type chip. Given that these 3258s are basically marketed solely to the "OC Community", they should keep ones this terrible from hitting store shelves, IMO. I had a sad little experience overclocking this voltage pig silicon lottery loser.

I'd put a voltage in thinking "Surely THIS is enough" and it would fail P95, and I'd be like "no way it needs more?" After the like 5th time adding more voltage I started wanting to take the CPU out of the socket and smack it for being such a loser of a CPU.

No doubt this is an "edge of the wafer/should never have passed Q/A" type chip. Given that these 3258s are basically marketed solely to the "OC Community", they should keep ones this terrible from hitting store shelves, IMO. I had a sad little experience overclocking this voltage pig silicon lottery loser.

I'd put a voltage in thinking "Surely THIS is enough" and it would fail P95, and I'd be like "no way it needs more?" After the like 5th time adding more voltage I started wanting to take the CPU out of the socket and smack it for being such a loser of a CPU.

I've said this before, the G3258 is a rejected 4690K. The 4690K is a rejected 4790K.
Of course the Pentium is not going to clock as well as the others.

I was just kidding. The edge dies are junk and get thrown away. Oh well, I have heard of G3258's that can't go higher than 3.8GHz.

I've said this before, the G3258 is a rejected 4690K. The 4690K is a rejected 4790K.
Of course the Pentium is not going to clock as well as the others.

So do 4690k's usually top out around 4.5GHz? Would make sense since the 4790k is binned for 4.4GHz.

So do 4690k's usually top out around 4.5GHz? Would make sense since the 4790k is binned for 4.4GHz.

The whole point is that you can't compare voltage at a given frequency from a 4690K or 4790K. Most of the G3258 chips will take more voltage than their i5/i7 counterparts.

The whole point is that you can't compare voltage at a given frequency from a 4690K or 4790K. Most of the G3258 chips will take more voltage than their i5/i7 counterparts.

I can understand that, but Intel should take the "ridiculously poor overclockers" off the market. There should be some kind of "good/no good" binning process even amongst these cheap and cheerful chips I think. If the chip won't do 4.4 at like 1.35 lets say, it's not good enough to be a 3258. It can be a crappier Pentium or something... IDK. Not saying you have to throw it in the garbage.

I just think a chip marketed as a fun cheap thing to tweak to enthusiasts should be "At least this good"... know what I mean?

Merry Christmas!

I can understand that, but Intel should take the "ridiculously poor overclockers" off the market. There should be some kind of "good/no good" binning process even amongst these cheap and cheerful chips I think. If the chip won't do 4.4 at like 1.35 lets say, it's not good enough to be a 3258. It can be a crappier Pentium or something... IDK. Not saying you have to throw it in the garbage.

I just think a chip marketed as a fun cheap thing to tweak to enthusiasts should be "At least this good"... know what I mean?

Merry Christmas!

There is a good/no good system. It's called "does it work or not".

You're not going to get Intel to throw away working CPUs.

Im not saying they should throw them away. I'm saying that dud 3258s should become inferior pentiums or celerons.

AFAIK the locked chips come from a completely different wafer than the unlocked chips.

Back