• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which R9 290X to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

So the cheapest ones I could find are Powercolor Radeon R9 290X 975MHZ 4GB 5.0GHZ for 339.99, and the Visiontek Radeon R9 290X 1.0GHZ 4GB 5.0GHZ for 329.99. Both come with free shipping.

I did some searching but I can't find too many reviews on either model. Is it worth it getting a more expensive overclocked model? I was considering the 970 for a while but some benchmarks show the 290x doing better at higher resolutions such as my 1440p model.

Are these deals worth pulling the trigger now or will I see better deals after Christmas?

Canada here, and the lightning $100 more expensive on a website I've never ordered from before.

Would this be worth the $60 or $70 more?

Last edited:
I know Sapphire and Asus make good cards, but I'm not too familiar with Visiontek's reputation. Are they known for making good cards?

I know Sapphire and Asus make good cards, but I'm not too familiar with Visiontek's reputation. Are they known for making good cards?

Visiontek are usually expensive cause they are made in USA and not in Taiwan or China. Yes they are very good, my first card ever a geforce 3 was a visiontek 13 years ago

Thanks. I think I may go with the Visiontek then. I don't think the Asus is worth the little cpu and memory overclock, not $70 anyways.

Last edited:
If you haven't bought it yet I'd go with the ASUS since the warranty support will be better, and since the serial# is connected to the warranty resale value would be higher. Visiontek has worse support and you'll get less for selling the card within the warranty period.

I already bought it, but I don't plan on selling it within two years. If I didn't have a 1440p monitor I would be keeping my 7870 for at least another two years. I typically keep cards for a long time and then give them away when I get around to replacing them after 3 or 4 years.

AMD is really close to bringing out their next gen, but $330 was too good of a deal to pass up. It will be quite the improvement over my 7870, and still will be better than whatever the new midrange amd card turns out to be.

Have you considered a gtx 970? It's superior in every way except bandwidth.

Last edited:
Yeah I just had a look at prices on 970's there, quite a large price gouging over there honestly. Dont blame ya...

Yes otherwise I was leaning more towards a 970. Similar performance with half the power, but I couldn't argue with the price of the 290x.

Back