• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kink in watercooling loop dangerous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordraider

Hello,

I'm running my new watercooling loop for 2 days now but a kink has formed (not fully kinked but anyhow a kink), the tubing I used is feser and it was already kind of oval at the beginning and quite flexible.
There are no airbubbles and the temps are 24-27 degrees celcius idle (4790k devil's canyon).
Under load with AIDA64 after 5 minutes my core averages temp where 53-58 and max temp 66-71 @ 4.4 ghz (turbo default)
So I guess the water is getting through fine with maybe a little bit resistance?
Is this dangerous if I leave it this way or should I drain it and put a new link , a bit longer that doesn't kink?

Here are some pics of the kink.

Attachments

• 20141224_103312.jpg
    20141224_103312.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 20141224_103216.jpg
    20141224_103216.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,790
  • 20141224_103204.jpg
    20141224_103204.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,675
That will def. cut your flow rate, sure... dangerous... likely not unless it collapses more. I would do something about that sooner than later though.

:welcome: to OCFs.

Yeah, that looks like a nice kink. I would advise on rerouting that end.

Run your benchmark for about 30 mins as it should give it enough time to stabilize the water temp.

Also, give us a run down of your PC parts and water cooling system.

Hi,

I did an half hour test with AIDA64 now.
Are these temps normal?

My mobo is Asus Maximus Formula VII , CPU 4790k, 32gb DDR3 1600mhz
My watercooling is a 360 radiator , a laing DCC-1t , and a 5.25 bay reservoir (with pump connected to it on the back) (all stuff came in an alphacool kit)
The loop is from reservoir -> cpu -> north bridge mobo -> radiator -> reservoir.
The half kink is between the cpu and north bridge.
All is connected with compression fittings
Another thought, are cpu waterblock and mobo waterblock also not sort of a half "kink" :)?

temphalfhour.png

Last edited:
Temps look fine to me for what you have... perhaps a little warm if those are at stock speeds actually. What are your ambient temperatures?

Motherboard block? BLEH! Looks pretty, but are generally restrictive and really yields no performance gains.

easy and quick fix for said kink, put a ziptie around the hose where the kink is, it will open the hose back up. :)

What is the inner and outer diameter of tubing? (for example 3/8, 5/8). Im guessing that is thin walled tubing.

ive had thick wall tubing kink, all depends on the amount of plasticizer and how tight of a bend. plasticizer free tubing kinks pretty easy which is how i learned the ziptie trick.

Its thin outer diameter. Biught here : http://www.highflow.nl/slangen/3-8-...ube-uv-highflow-3-8-id-1-2-od-clear-blue.html

Its says it doenst kink fast ... yeah right :). I think ill buy a uv clear ziptie for now. But as my temps are ok the kink doesnt cause too much problems it seems? Ill drain my system if i need to add liquid. That 5.25 inch reservoir with attached pump is a real sucker to move in and out of the case. Already needed to bend the entrance clips to get it in.

If you don't take care of it, will eventually collapses. Spend the money get some quality hose, PrimoChill Primoflex Advance LRT tubing.

Its thin outer diameter. Biught here : http://www.highflow.nl/slangen/3-8-...ube-uv-highflow-3-8-id-1-2-od-clear-blue.html

Its says it doenst kink fast ... yeah right :). I think ill buy a uv clear ziptie for now. But as my temps are ok the kink doesnt cause too much problems it seems? Ill drain my system if i need to add liquid. That 5.25 inch reservoir with attached pump is a real sucker to move in and out of the case. Already needed to bend the entrance clips to get it in.

It looks like thin tubing. If you buy something like primochill advanced 3/8 5/8, it will resist kinking much more, and it wont kink after the fact. meaning you can do a tight bend and see if it is kinked, in 10 years I have never seen it kink if not there to begin with, and I do tight bends all the time with it. 3/8 1/2 is thin and even if not kinked when you first put it on, running pump or time can then cause it to kink. I bought 3/8 1/2 by mistake one time, while it was amusing watching it kink with mild bends, it went in the trash can, never used it.

Last edited:
Back