• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team Elite Plus 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM Compatibility Issue/Installation Problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On my 955 I used to run my Cpu Nb Voltage around 1.2-1.25v take into account this will raise the core and socket temps a bit. You'll know it needs tweaking if it's unstable.

No offense taken.
Sorry I'm a pretty blunt straight shooter.
In any case, when your ram gets there we can help you get it dialed in. ;)

Just a quick question before the new ram arrives.

Do you all think I should flash the bios before installing the new memory? I have asrocks v1.90 bios, the same version that shipped with the board, and the latest is 2.0 on the site. The description for it says "update to cpu code" and "modifies win 8 shutdown behavior". It doesn't sound terribly necessary, but I couldn't help to wonder if it would make a difference and if I needed the update cpu code for compatibility reasons when trying to mix in this new memory.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
CPU code is just that, adding support for new CPU's. If your CPU is already supported, which it is, then the bios update does nothing for you.

Ram arrived super early today ahead of schedule so I'm about to install it now and see how it goes.

I'll post an update after I've tackled the problem.

UPDATE: Well, this has just been a giant disaster. I distinctly remember saying crap usually blows up in my face - not literally - and this is a prime example of my bad luck.

I never even got to take the new ram out of the packaging. I unhooked my computer and opened it up with the intent of dismounting the cooler, but it wasn't in my fate to have an easy time with this project. Apparently, the bond of thermal compound between the heatsink and processor had inexplicably become too tight and trying to remove the heatsink without applying too much force wasn't working. I use Arctic Silver 5 and have not had this kind of problem before now. I even tried feeling underneath the cooler with my fingers for the cpu socket release latch, but that wasn't happening since there was very little clearance to fit my fingers under the cooler. The heatsink eventually did come loose, but not after improperly pulling the cpu out of the socket with the latch still in the locked position and, of course, bending pins on the processor. I must have done this kind of thing a thousand times and what should have been routine ends up being a fiasco. That's as far as I got.

Now my processor is junk and my desktop is out of commission. I have to get some money together to buy another cpu since AMD warranty explicitly does not cover bent pins. I can't find another Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz, but I have my eye on an AMD FX 4350 4.2GHz quad core which would be an upgrade and is only $100, less than what I spent on my phenom years ago. So now it's a matter of getting another cpu.

I've been running scenarios in my head trying to come up with ways to ensure what happened with my phenom doesn't break the new FX cpu because honestly I'm still trying to figure out how the bond of the thermal compound could have gotten to be that damn tight. I've been contemplating on using the new processor's stock cooler except their performance is mediocre and they end up being so damn loud. I do like my big shuriken and it delivers admirable performance for air cooling [29-31 degrees idle], but I can't afford to have another cpu with bent pins. I might use the stock cooler on the FX processor to install it and the new memory and then decide if I want to re-install the big shuriken after everything is running stable.

Suggestions or ideas for preventing the same thing happening with the new processor would be appreciated. Advice on what to do if the thermal compound should bond too tightly on the new cpu, etc.

Two things, you can use a credit card or some other thin material to bend the pins back, I do it all the time. Second, next time you go to remove the heatsink, start the rig up first and put it under load for a few min and then shut it down and remove the heatsink. This will usually get the TIM loose.

I also wouldn't get a Fx chip and try running it on that board. See if you can find a 955 Be they can still be found used for around $75.00 on Ebay.

I've already tried bending the pins back into place, that's a negative on that front.

I also wouldn't get a Fx chip and try running it on that board.
Too late on that one since I already ordered the 4350, I couldn't pass up on a deal on a better and faster cpu new in the box for a cheaper price than what I originally paid for my Phenom. However, I am wondering if there was a specific reason why you said that.

I checked and my board is capable of supporting AM3+ cpus and the 4350 is in the supported processor list...except I do need to flash the bios from version 1.90 to 2.0 first before the board can fully support the cpu. Which brings into question how I'm going to flash the bios if the 4350 isn't fully supported out of the box. I had tried flashing the bios on my phenom, before it broke, and it didn't work. When inside the ASRock instant flash utility only applicable rom files appropriate for my motherboard model will appear in the file to flash list, but when I booted into the flash utility it never made it past the file checking / verification phase. I assumed the flashing utility saw that my processor was already supported therefore I didn't need the update to cpu code and the file never appeared in the flashable rom list. The flashing utility was stuck in the rom verification phase, but no attempts to actual flashing were made so no harm was done.

Now I'm caught in a bit of a catch 22. I need to flash the bios in order for the board to fully support the 4350 when it arrives, but if the 4350 isn't fully supported out the box then how am I going to flash the bios? I can only hope the 4350 is supported enough to allow the PC to boot into bios and load the flashing utility. Seeing the new not fully supported cpu the flashing utility should see the need for the updated cpu code and allow me to flash the bios. At least that's what I am hoping because I can't think how I'm going to update the bios otherwise. I sent a help request to ASRock, but they don't have a phone number you can call and they just about never respond to online inquiries submitted to them through their website.

I said don't buy the Fx 4350 because it's not that great of a chip, I would have told you to get a Fx 63xx but you're board likely wouldn't handle it. It's a moot point now so hopefully you will be able to get it to work.
ASRock America, Inc.
13848 Magnolia Ave, Chino, CA91710
U.S.A.
Phone: +1-909-590-8308
Fax: +1-909-590-1026

Send me the 965 with the bent pins and I'll send you a processor so you can flash your board. :)

I said don't buy the Fx 4350 because it's not that great of a chip
The Phenom II x4 965 BE is a 3.4GHz 64 bit cpu, with 4 x 512KB L2 Cache and a 6MB L3 Cache.

The FX 4350 is a 4.2GHz 64 bit cpu, with 2 x 2MB L2 Cache and a 8MB L3 Cache. It might not be the greatest quad core chip, but it is faster than what I had and outperforms the Phenom II x4 955 & 965 in almost every way [I looked up comparison benchmarks].

Supposingly my board is 6 & 8 core ready, but I didn't to push it and this brings up a weird point. When looking up the supported processor list some of the FX AM3+ cpus are supported with the 1.90 bios, including some of the 8 cores, but some of the other AM3+ cpus - like the 4350 - require the 2.0 revision.

Thanks for the phone number. I sent ASRock another help request through the website, but they won't be back in the office until January 5th. If they don't respond I will call them. I also sent a service request to AMD since they have pretty great customer support so we'll see what they say about the bios loophole. Since some of the AM3+ cpus are supported with version 1.90 the 4350 should allow me to boot into bios and load the flashing utility so I can flash to 2.0 for the updated cpu code. I don't think the 4350 cpu is going to be totally unsupported out of the box since some AM3+ chips are compatible with 1.90 bios.

I was looking inside my case and checking out my cpu socket to make sure there weren't any broken off pins stuck into place and I noticed something white covering up two of the holes. Not entirely sure what it was, but if I had to take a guess I would say dried up specks of thermal compound which just happened to fall into the socket holes.

I got a long, thin piece of metal with the intention of scooping it out, but whatever it was seemed to be pushed further into the socket holes to the bottom. Everything looks normal now, but do I need to worry about this?

Last edited:
Well it got pushed deeper into the socket hole. I can air blast the socket, but it was a small speck and I can't see it anymore so I don't see how air blasting will get it out. I'm worried that if it's buried deep in the hole that it's going to interfere with the processor's pins connection to the socket.

I am going to air blast the socket regardless and hope for the best.

I air blasted the socket and didn't see anything come flying out of any of the holes. I did see some specks fly out of the case, but I can't be sure it was the same stuff that got buried in the socket. Everything looks normal, but looks can be deceiving.

It was only two small specks, not a grievous amount, and from what I read from someone who had a bunch in their cpu socket is that most thermal compound, like AS5, generally aren't conductive so if it was just a very small amount and if it doesn't bridge from hole to hole then I should be alright. I just have to worry about it insulating the contact between processor pin and socket. However, considering it was two small specks there shouldn't be a need to worry.

I don't know what to do other than air blasting the socket.

Back