• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD and Razer 7.1 Chroma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkngo

Registered
Just realized that the new headset (razer 7.1 chroma) I bought is USB. Is there a huge difference between Razer's software and Creative software during gaming? If so I can return it and purchase the Astro A40 (head phones only) and plug that to my soundcard.

Also, is the only difference between the $149 and $249 for the Astro A40 is the mix amp?

The sound card and the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 is a great combo, but not great when you want to game quietly at night LOL...

If you are going to spend that much for use with the sound card, grab the Sennheiser G4ME One for $196. Will be much much much much better than the Astros.

The only thing is the huge microphone is a turn off for me. The astro a40 is detachable and the razer 7.1 chroma is retractable...

If you absolutely prefer retractable/detachable or so then the Astros over the Razer for sure. Still recommend the Sennies due to superior sound and mic :p

Definitely astro between the 2 choices though, far better sound quality. And if you get a console later on you can just grab the mixamp and hook it up there too.

it's on sale. I might return it and pick the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. I checked out more reviews on youtube.

Yeah get an anallog for that sound card. I wouldnt touch a USB headset from a mile away

it's on sale. I might return it and pick the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. I checked out more reviews on youtube.

The Zero is closed and the One is open, keep that in mind. The One will leak sound and also you will hear things near you with the headphones on, BUT, the sound stage, especially for games (even more so for fps) is far nicer with open. The smaller sound stage on the closed is evident, but far less sound leak with closed.

In lamen terms:

Open: Higher fidelity and sound quality since the waves produced from closed headphones have nowhere to go after they have been used, so you get a more crystal clear and more quality sound from open headphones. Though they usually leak BADLY, have POOR isolation, and they're usually more expensive (the good ones atleast), also, most people find them less comfortable than closed headphones, and lacking in bass as they have less potential to seal.

Closed: Lower sound quality as you have a seal between you ears and the drivers, and lots of isolation, so while sound wont get out and in as easily, the sound quality will suffer (now, the sound quality isnt BAD in comparison to open, there are VERY VERY good sounding closed headphones, its just that there are better open ones). Also, they usually have better bass as the seal between your ears and the driver is good for the bass, and they're usually more comfortable and circumaural.

One isnt better than the other, they both have their cons and pros and suit different people with different needs.

The Zero is closed and the One is open, keep that in mind. The One will leak sound and also you will hear things near you with the headphones on, BUT, the sound stage, especially for games (even more so for fps) is far nicer with open. The smaller sound stage on the closed is evident, but far less sound leak with closed.

In lamen terms:

Open: Higher fidelity and sound quality since the waves produced from closed headphones have nowhere to go after they have been used, so you get a more crystal clear and more quality sound from open headphones. Though they usually leak BADLY, have POOR isolation, and they're usually more expensive (the good ones atleast), also, most people find them less comfortable than closed headphones, and lacking in bass as they have less potential to seal.

Closed: Lower sound quality as you have a seal between you ears and the drivers, and lots of isolation, so while sound wont get out and in as easily, the sound quality will suffer (now, the sound quality isnt BAD in comparison to open, there are VERY VERY good sounding closed headphones, its just that there are better open ones). Also, they usually have better bass as the seal between your ears and the driver is good for the bass, and they're usually more comfortable and circumaural.

One isnt better than the other, they both have their cons and pros and suit different people with different needs.
The audiophile speaks
Thou shall teach me master yoda.

Although tell me if a Xonar D2 with Logitech THX speakers are a bad setup, thats what I had before. Now I just use the onboard supreme FX III audio with this mobo and I like it. Not thousands worth of equipment but with my razer piranhas headphones which were meant for professional gaming im quite happy with the sound. For speakers I just use altec lansing no subwoofer but they are ok

For speaker systems I am honestly not the most knowledgeable as I am with headphone gear as far as what's real good, etc. Personally I have an Audioengine A5+ setup that replaced some Swan M50s, that's about the most I've researched and ended up sticking with good bookshelf speakers lol, I skipped over all the "game brands" and such, so all I can really say is ask around. Someone might surely have that speaker set to give you their impressions.

I tried SupremeFX on my own board before throwing in the Phoebus, but running my main gaming/pc headphones (Beyer DT990 600ohm) the sound was very thin and lacked some immersion that I feel with the Phoebus or ZxR. It may do better for your Razer set, but it was pretty bad for me switching from the Phoebus to try it.

Thanks for the in depth explanation. Got me thinking about the open head phones now

The Sennheiser G4ME One is the open version of the Zero and tends to be cheaper :)

For speaker systems I am honestly not the most knowledgeable as I am with headphone gear as far as what's real good, etc. Personally I have an Audioengine A5+ setup that replaced some Swan M50s, that's about the most I've researched and ended up sticking with good bookshelf speakers lol, I skipped over all the "game brands" and such, so all I can really say is ask around. Someone might surely have that speaker set to give you their impressions.

I tried SupremeFX on my own board before throwing in the Phoebus, but running my main gaming/pc headphones (Beyer DT990 600ohm) the sound was very thin and lacked some immersion that I feel with the Phoebus or ZxR. It may do better for your Razer set, but it was pretty bad for me switching from the Phoebus to try it.

Did you set headphone input toe xtreme in panel with the supreme III. Hey I could barely tell the difference between this and my old Xonar D2 and I know you know what that is.

The fatality boards from asrock also have very good onboard as well.

The Kraken is an "okay" gaming headset. After several hours of gaming my ears was sore. I adjusted the volume as suggested by a few members and it sounded like there was too much bass even with the voice clarity enabled. The 7.1 surround sound is also "okay". I returned it today and bought the Astro A-40 mix amp pro so I can use it for my pc, ps4, or ps3. Night and day. It sounds as good as my beats pro if not better for music. It's not noise cancelling but if I turn it pass 65% it drowns all noises. FPS mode from the amp is amazing. I have it hooked up to my optical port from my mobo until I can buy an mini plug optical cable for my sound card. I will also try hooking the headset straight to the sound card and see how it sounds. Right now the mixamp pro live up to all the hype. I was going to get the Sennheiser G4ME One but I can't get over that design. Plus it kind of color coordinated with my system black and orange.

So long as you are happy with the product, that is what matters.

so I tried both the sound card and the mixamp. they both offer pros and cons, but in the end I like the mixamp so I am happy with my choice...

Back