• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhysX Accelerators or other solutions to aid in my quest...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
I have come across BFG - AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator Card, but from the reviews it seems this is rather old...2005-2006 or somewhere in there. I have also read about using 1 GPU as being dedicated for PhysX, now is this a solution that could help me with reaching higher scores on benchmarking with programs like 3DMark or Catzilla? Are there any other possible solution, add-on cards or anything else out there that could be a hardware solution (or even a software solution) to helping to get better benchmark scores?
I would like to try and get my score as high as possible before I start overclocking. So essentially I want to make the best possible "stock" setup to aid in my benchmarking quest before I start overclocking.
I had thought about workstation solutions like the Nvidia tesla or something of that sort but that variety of card (to my knowledge) does not support PhysX and also is not meant for gaming/benchmarks...
Does anyone have any ideas?

Again I know that I could get more performance by tweaking my GPU, or my CPU or my ram, but I'm looking at that as my second step.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks!!

3d mark doesnt use lame physx it uses open source bullet physics by ati which is open source

But an AGEIA card should do fine. Whole reason I boycotted nvidia years ago was due to the fact that they blocked through drivers even AGEIA cards from being used if ati card was present which imho should be illegal. I mean you buy an AGEIA and 6 months later nvidia steals your tech and says "hey only my cards can do this" and you have to resort to hax to get it to work. Its ridicoulous. Only reason game devs use physx is cause of handouts from nvidia when bullet physics from ati based on Open CL is far superior.

I have come across BFG - AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator Card, but from the reviews it seems this is rather old...2005-2006 or somewhere in there. I have also read about using 1 GPU as being dedicated for PhysX, now is this a solution that could help me with reaching higher scores on benchmarking with programs like 3DMark or Catzilla? Are there any other possible solution, add-on cards or anything else out there that could be a hardware solution (or even a software solution) to helping to get better benchmark scores?
I would like to try and get my score as high as possible before I start overclocking. So essentially I want to make the best possible "stock" setup to aid in my benchmarking quest before I start overclocking.
I had thought about workstation solutions like the Nvidia tesla or something of that sort but that variety of card (to my knowledge) does not support PhysX and also is not meant for gaming/benchmarks...
Does anyone have any ideas?

Again I know that I could get more performance by tweaking my GPU, or my CPU or my ram, but I'm looking at that as my second step.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks!!

If you simply want a dedicated PhysX card, grab a 750Ti. They're cheap, low power, and will perform great.

Make sure any games or benchmarks you're seeking improvement in actually use PhysX though.

3d mark doesnt use lame physx it uses open source bullet physics by ati which is open source

But an AGEIA card should do fine. Whole reason I boycotted nvidia years ago was due to the fact that they blocked through drivers even AGEIA cards from being used if ati card was present which imho should be illegal. I mean you buy an AGEIA and 6 months later nvidia steals your tech and says "hey only my cards can do this" and you have to resort to hax to get it to work. Its ridicoulous. Only reason game devs use physx is cause of handouts from nvidia when bullet physics from ati based on Open CL is far superior.

"Lame PhysX"? Last time I checked PhysX did some awesome stuff.

Also, how should it be illegal for a company to make their hardware the only products that can run their proprietary software???
If that was the case then companies like Apple and many others would be screwed.

If you simply want a dedicated PhysX card, grab a 750Ti. They're cheap, low power, and will perform great.

Make sure any games or benchmarks you're seeking improvement in actually use PhysX though.

"Lame PhysX"? Last time I checked PhysX did some awesome stuff.

Also, how should it be illegal for a company to make their hardware the only products that can run their proprietary software???
If that was the case then companies like Apple and many others would be screwed.
Because it not their hardware, AGEIA were the inventors and nvidia basically stole it. BUlly tactics. Wouldnt you be mad if you had an AGIEA card with an ati gpu and then coudlnt use it cause nvidia decided to block it through drivers? I can understand nvidia card blocking it but if you already owned an AGEIA card. Catch my drift?

Because it not their hardware, AGEIA were the inventors and nvidia basically stole it. BUlly tactics. Wouldnt you be mad if you had an AGIEA card with an ati gpu and then coudlnt use it cause nvidia decided to block it through drivers? I can understand nvidia card blocking it but if you already owned an AGEIA card. Catch my drift?

If by "stole" you mean that they purchased intellectual property and made it their own, yes they did. At that point it's theirs to do with as they wish.
The AGIEA device never really took off anyway, Nvidia is the one that mainstreamed the technology.

If by "stole" you mean that they purchased intellectual property and made it their own, yes they did. At that point it's theirs to do with as they wish.
The AGIEA device never really took off anyway, Nvidia is the one that mainstreamed the technology.

Yes its called marketing and trademark laws which due to my political beleifs I do not beleive in. Im an open source advocate

So besides the Dedicated PhysX GPU, are their other hardware related solutions that could help with benchmarking for things like 3DMark, besides the obvious one of buying a more powerful SLI setup... I think all the IO Accelerators by companies like fusion io, there has to be something fun/cool out there to give some extra "oomph!"

Yes its called marketing and trademark laws which due to my political beleifs I do not beleive in. Im an open source advocate

Well, unfortunately for you, it isn't illegal as much as you want it to be.

So besides the Dedicated PhysX GPU, are their other hardware related solutions that could help with benchmarking for things like 3DMark, besides the obvious one of buying a more powerful SLI setup... I think all the IO Accelerators by companies like fusion io, there has to be something fun/cool out there to give some extra "oomph!"

X99 and SLI would be your best bets.
Two 970s or two 980s will rock any benchmark.

Well, unfortunately for you, it isn't illegal as much as you want it to be.

X99 and SLI would be your best bets.
Two 970s or two 980s will rock any benchmark.

Of course not and I dont want to get into politics, but in capitalism when you buy company out you can do what you want. But what should not be allowed it preventingn original AGEIA owners from using their hardware they payed money for, like I said I can understan blocking nvidia card with ati but an AGEIA card which was neutral? Catch my drift?

Of course not and I dont want to get into politics, but in capitalism when you buy company out you can do what you want. But what should not be allowed it preventingn original AGEIA owners from using their hardware they payed money for, like I said I can understan blocking nvidia card with ati but an AGEIA card which was neutral? Catch my drift?

Does it even matter? It's antiquated hardware.

Well... Listen... If you are serious about benchmarking, do it right. Go to hwbot.org sign up there for our team. :)

In that guise, running gpu physx in any of their benchmarks is not legal within the rules as it inflates scores.

It's curious that it isn't physx being run in the 3dmarks... I say this because if you enable.gpu physx with an amd card in those benchmarks it slows it down. With nvidia, it speeds up dramatically (well, vantage anyway - the rest are truely cpu and open cl using the bullet sdk.

EDIT: bullet.physics is open source and seemingly not made by amd? http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/

Last edited:
Does it even matter? It's antiquated hardware.

But it works, so please I beg you dont pull the antiquated hardware card when it should still handle physx fine, and beside at the time of the fiasco it wasnt antequated.

I signed up on HWBot for the overclockers.com team!
Now hopefully I can get some time to get on their and run a few benchmarks tomorrow or Monday!! :) fingers crossed!

You only post the results there. The benchies are run on your pc. Welcome to the team!

Last edited:
Haha yea, sorry I guess my wording was confusing. Running an "online benchmark" wouldn't do a whole lot of good if it existed! I'll be sure to post my "rerests" from my "benchies" when I get a chance to run them ;) haha

No problem, I was just messin with you, thought it was funny!
But on a more serious note, I overclocked my 5930k from the stock 3.5GHz to 4.4Ghz and ran 3DMark Firestrike Ultra again and I gained like maybe 5 points... Does 3DMark not really use your cpu for their "benchies" ? ;)

Back