• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a second hand 290, what to look for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

I'm buying a AMD 290 second hand for AUD $250 which is $169 cheaper than retail, but the only thing is that it was (using their numbers so it could be false) used for litecoin mining for 2 months and been in storage for a year once it became unprofitable.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como...d-gigabyte-radeon-r9-290-4gb-w-box/1065299328

I've asked to see it running before purchasing it, is there any time of things specifically on the card to look for and a specific benchmark/stability test to run?

OCCT gpu test hands down. But I think you should be fine. I could care less if they mine with it or even had it overclocked.

be sure your monitor will work with it, your monitor will have to be displayport or dvi, no hdmi or d-sub adaptors will work.
all i ask when i buy used is they take it back if it arrives dead, so I bench it right after it arrives.
wear ear muffs, these can get loud and they will heat your room real well.

is shipping still slow and cost a fortune there in perth?

I'm going to get it from him in person, so that shouldn't be a problem :)
The card supports HDMI though? (I run 3 monitors, but 2 of them are being powered by a 520 and the main monitor in the middle is powered currently by a 6970 with DVI so it shouldn't be a problem.)

I'm going to get it from him in person, so that shouldn't be a problem :)
The card supports HDMI though? (I run 3 monitors, but 2 of them are being powered by a 520 and the main monitor in the middle is powered currently by a 6970 with DVI so it shouldn't be a problem.)

Mine has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 display port

Gigabyte cards have warranty tied to the serial # (make sure it has the sticker attached to the card), so worst case you can have it RMA'd. MSI and ASUS cards have the same serial warranty. What you don't want is something like a Powercolor that you can't exchange.

If you can find one with a custom cooler for around the same price I'd go for that instead though as the stock coolers are very loud on these.

Back