• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

splitting input at receiver end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattyts

Registered
Hi all,I hope you can wrap your heads around this.

I game and skype regularly from my PC but using my 2.1,people who I'm skyping with get a lot of feedback from my end so I usually just switch to my headset but that means constantly unplugging etc.

From my PC, the audio output is a 3.5mm jack,this is split into 2 x RCA connectors before going into my amplifier.

What I've done is used one of these:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...erNTgpajLUxXIAdgIaodTHVmmevGrjy4bypWmbPxWGPkn with a female 3.5mm jack inbetween the cable from the pc and the amp to split the signal to a 3.5mm jack so I can plug my headset into that.

It means that the audio plays through both the speakers and headset at the same time and I just mute whichever I don't use at the time.

Is this OK/safe to use?

That will work fine but if you have a receiver that supports digital input (S/PDIF or HDMI), use that instead. Also note that while the headphone jack on a digital receiver (if it has one) is more or less just an afterthought, it may still do better than onboard. Try it.

Back