• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Debate - Compression v Barb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

So I have read just about every sticky and sought advice from a number of members. I have always used barbs with no ill effects. Having never used compressions, I cannot make a proper judgment call. And, since I am unable to buy water cooling parts, use them, and return them if unhappy (at the major retailers) it looks as if I will have to base my decision on the experiences of others. So, that being the case, I am looking for someone to provide a sound argument as to why one is better than the other, but ONLY in terms of function. The looks of the project are irrelevant to me, I am only concerned with function - this is to a point obviously, complete fugliness is not okay.

I have used worm drive clamps and been fine. I am looking at the Bitspower normal barbs (not stubby) with their luxury clamps. But, clamp + barb is about the same price as compression, so price becomes a moot point. Hence, what are the perks that would (or did) make you guys use one over the other and would you do so given a new build again? Or, would you do something different? In terms of performance, I like the fact that compressions such as Swiftech have straight areas for a wrench, whereas Bitspower does not on compressions, yet they do on barbs. This is one of the things I look at that would make me choose one over the other. I know people will say they have had great results using x or y, but I am looking for universal aspects that can be applied. People can have good or bad results depending on their mechanical inclination etc. So, unless it is a large scale issue or advantage, I am looking for those who have been at this a while to provide me a push one way or the other, if it is possible. Because, after looking at the stickies and numerous posts / builds, it really seems as if we were to take looks out of it, function is pretty much equal, as is safety if the proper precautions are taken.

THANKS!

I have both barbs and compression fittings, as far as functionality within the loop I see no difference. I do find the barbs a little bit easier to work with if you change parts around. Otherwise, my compression fittings were used only for aesthetics.

I have both barbs and compression fittings, as far as functionality within the loop I see no difference. I do find the barbs a little bit easier to work with if you change parts around. Otherwise, my compression fittings were used only for aesthetics.

This ^^^

I agree as well with what Mandrake said. I would've said the same thing only to add that I feel there's maybe more grip or a hold on the tubing from a compression fitting than from a skinny clamp but honestly I am not sure if it would make a difference once tied down. The only huge difference is price and aesthetics.

I agree with above, the only difference between barbs/worm clamps vs compressions is aesthetics and possibly cost differences.

I have several different types of compression fittings, including swiftech and bitspower. I like the idea on paper of swiftech compressions which is why I bought them, but I dont use swiftech because the tolerances were too tight with the tubing I used.

primochill advanced is one of the better tubings...but with swiftech it requires a lot of elbow grease to get the compression fittings together prior to even begin screwing them in, if you get swiftech with primochill tubing you will know what I mean, you can do it, but it requires elbow grease to just push the fitting together over thick tubing...only a real problem if your in a tight spot where elbow grease is difficult. I use flat wrench with swiftech, and plastic tip pliers for bitspower, both work fine. Black compressions in both look nice, until you use a wrench/pliers on either. The chrome holds up much better against scratching, hence I ended up going back to chrome bitspower. The bitspower are easier to use, but both will work fine if you dont mind elbow grease and if you dont have areas where force is difficult to apply.

ive been sitting on six 3/8 5/8 koolance compressions if you really want to try some out. I prefer the look of over sized barbs with hose stretched over it. I am perfectly happy with the function of compression fittings though and they look pretty good.

Ive used barbs for 10+ years and only compression the last couple. I've never had a leak from either fitting. Id pick which goes into your budget or style and be done.

I do use clamps on my barbs with a piece of electrical tape underneath to prevent wear or cutting. They are just normal metal screw down clamps from any hardware store.

I've used both barb & compression (same size) and today I must say that I use compression exclusively for aesthetics and convenience. Functionally, barbs have better flow unless there is some exception I haven't seen. I'll talk about the only issue I had with barbs later, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Fittings & Elbow Impacts - MARTINSLIQUIDLAB.ORG

...and a Martins Monsoon compression article that changed my mind about compression fittings enough to change over from barb ...

Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Without trying to sound like an advertisement for Monsoon, the issue I was having with barbs was that I was breaking quick clips most times that I had to remove them. This was enough of a pain to get me to try 2 monsoon compression fittings on my cpu block. Once I realized that I didn't have to worry about destroying clamps ever again, I decided to go 100% compression for only a minor loss of flow.

Last edited:
Back