• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

Hello all,

I currently have a Dell XPS 702x 17 inch laptop.

It is pretty heavy and big so I am looking for a light and thin laptop (maybe a ultrabook) which is at least 15 inch.
It needs to be capable in terms of hardware as I occasionally play games and run multiple OS.

I am interested in the 4K laptops but not sure whether its the right time to buy one of those.
I've also heard that Asus will release a gaming ultrabook named Asus ROG GX500 4K.
What do you guys think of that one?

Regards.

Asus tends to have overheating issues. For gaming look at Sager, MSI, and Lenovo.

www.xoticpc.com

I'm in the same boat, looking for a decent gaming laptop that's still fairly light, and have been coming across similar info. Sager is good if you want customization, MSI laptops are good gaming laptops, and the Lenovo Y series seem to be good all-arounders.

As far as "thin and light" while still being game-capable, it gets kind of tough. As you'd expect, tossing a decent CPU and even a midrange GPU in a cramped case means you need a fair amount of cooling. A quick check and it looks like the Lenovo Y50 line is probably as thin & light as you're going to get without much thermal trouble. 17" laptops seem out, as most seem to weigh about as much as your Dell and aren't exactly paper thin.

A few of the lower end 15" Sagers are 0.55"-1.24" (guess the battery sticks down a little) and seem to way about the same as the Y50s (~5.5lbs), but you seem to be limited to the 850m in that thickness range.

As for 4K, I had the same question, as they seem to be popping up here and there. What it all comes down to is there a specific reason you need it, since if you just want it for gaming, you'll be SOL. A single mobile GPU just won't be up to the task, and laptops with SLI/XFire are few and far between. Even then, there's no guarantee they'll be able to handle it.

Edit: I've actually been looking at laptops on and off throughout the day, and kind of leaning towards the MSI GS60 Ghost line, and they seem to fit your requirements as well. Thin, light, and some models have GTX 970s. Just thought I'd pass it along if you're curious.

Last edited:
Gigabyte or MSI would be worth looking at especially now the Jan Sales are here!

Ajay.

So I ended up talking myself into one of those MSI GS60 Ghost Pros. A little pricey for the specs compared to some of the Sager builds, but the GS60 was probably the thinnest and lightest 15.6" laptop I looked at that still had a decent GPU and CPU (I ordered the 044 build, which has a 4710HQ and GTX970, 1080p screen. There are a few with 4k screens above the $2k mark). I don't know what your budget/time frame is, but if you can wait a few weeks I can let you know what it's like trying to drag it around.

Yeah the GTX970 is really nice hope you got a decent amount of GDDR5 with that, but the i7-4710HQ i don't kinda get that hmm. :shrug:

Well i hope the battery life is OK and does not suck too much. ;)

Ajay.

Yeah the GTX970 is really nice hope you got a decent amount of GDDR5 with that, but the i7-4710HQ i don't kinda get that hmm. :shrug:

Well i hope the battery life is OK and does not suck too much. ;)

Ajay.

It's the 3GB 970, and since it just has a 1080p screen I didn't see the benefit of getting one of the 6GB model. And I think the 4710 should be "enough" for most games, especially if they're multi-threaded. I had an Asus laptop that kinda broke with an i7 720QM, and even at a whopping 1.6ghz it managed to pull it's weight in BF:BC2. Probably what ended up breaking the laptop :D

Please to say i picked up my new laptop today and is now using it to type this message, very nice keys and layout. Ended up with a GIGABYTE P25X V2 CF4 with a i7-4810MQ @ 2.8Mhz to 3.8Mhz and a GTX880M with 8GB of GDDR5 Ram seems quick. That is after all the boring updates still have some work left to do, but so far so good.

Regards,

Ajay.

i7-4810MQ @ 2.8Mhz to 3.8Mhz

Is that a Commodore 64 with turbo? :p FYI, 8 GB VRAM is a giant waste for a 1080p screen. I hope you've got the HDMI port plugged into a 4k screen, and that it supports future HDMI versions for an 8k screen to use that VRAM :)

Last edited:
Nice IPS and yes it does have HDMI and yes again i also have a 48inch 4K TV LOL!!! :p ;)

Ajay.

Is that a Commodore 64 with turbo? :p FYI, 8 GB VRAM is a giant waste for a 1080p screen. I hope you've got the HDMI port plugged into a 4k screen, and that it supports future HDMI versions for an 8k screen to use that VRAM :)
8GB DDR5, LOL... what a waste on a laptop considering a single card can't drive 4K well enough in the first place...

oh well, this thread isn't about Ajay though, you should have posted this in YOUR thread ajay! :)

Back