• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When is a GPU Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I am buying a GTX 970 and I am just mulling around the cost vs. how much I will need it. There are a lot of different applications where certain components and software would determine whether an upgrade is necessary. Further, there are other nuances that I don't see addressed with any google searches.

For reference I went from a GTX 260 Sli that was 4 years old to a GTX 660 in February of 2013. So almost two years now. I have recently picked up a GTX 970 and I am hoping to get at LEAST 4 years out of it.

Some of these questions may be odd, but none the less I am looking for an answer.

1) How does a video card affect Windows, specifically Windows 7, but really Windows in general because I plan to upgrade to 10 when it becomes available.

2) Does Aero impact GPU performance when we are talking the difference between GTX 660 and GTX 970. One thing I notice when in windows is moving the windows around from one monitor to the next. Windows themselves seem to tear while dragging them. Is this a GPU problem or a Monitor Problem or is it a Software problem?

3) Since I mentioned the dual monitor set up. I have two Hanns G 27" Monitors that are 1080p. How are the two specific GPUs impacted, if any, by two large 1080p monitors. Both in normal Windows or in 1 monitor playing, say BF4, and the other with a Media player open playing music?

4) I have also looked at the use of the GTX 660 as a dedicated Physx card, however since I have no games that use Physx, should I sell the 660 or keep it in the hopes that one day, it will be utilized in more games. Physx looks like a dinosaur that is almost extinct, but since the best I can hope to recoup from 660 is about 100 dollars minus shipping, it might not be worth to sell it and rather keep it as a back up if my 970 ever has to be warrantied, or pass it down to my daughter when she is a little older.

I know there are a lot of questions to be answered, but I'd like to use this as a discussion thread on a topic I find very few answers about.

1. Any modern videocard will be able to run the Windows DWM just fine. Even onboard video from Sandybridge on up will handle it fine and give you GPU-accelerated video in web browsers and players. Going overboard won't make any differences here.
2. Nope. If anything it's something to do with the monitors themselves but there's not really anything you can do about it with the card. That's a minor thing anyways which won't impact much. Worst case you can just move windows with hotkeys if it bothers you: http://lifehacker.com/5828453/move-windows-around-quickly-using-your-keyboard-in-windows-7
3. Unless you're running intensive 3D applications on both monitors (ie: games; not including Milkdrop/video) there's negligible impact to having additional monitors running.
4. Not a bad idea to have a backup card, but your board does have onboard video so you won't really need one for RMA purposes.

Thanks for the feedback grumpefish. The Lifehacker video will come in handy as well.

I also completely overlooked the on-board video as well.

So at what point (as in the minimum GPU) was necessary for a Dual 1080p Monitor Set-up?

Well if you take gaming out of the equation, I still have one rig running dual monitors with a Ge Force 7600, granted at 1680x1050 but for normal usage you really don't need a high end card for dual monitors. With gaming in the equation, more and more games are taking advantage of the increased V Ram on the newer Gpu's so running at 1080p with say the 2g of Vram of the 660, in the future will definitely be the limiting factor.

Regarding physx, the 970 should be more than capable of handling that and all of its rendering tasks on its own. Definitely sell the 660 while it still has a little value ($75 I'm guessing?).

Maybe like $110-$150 if you can find the right buyer. 2GB cards aren't in huge demand given rising monitor resolutions, and 290's/970's tanked the resale market so it'd probably end up at the lower end of that.

Grumperfish is right. Selling a 4, 5 or even 6 series card is almost not worth the hassle. I guess $75 isn't exactly worthless, but the hassle of shipping it and the cost makes me just want to keep it as a back up.

Yeah I here that its not worth the hassels.But
how much does the ram really effect gaming.I know pretty much all my games run great maxed on my system .

Last edited:
Its not just the gaming aspect of it, it also has a lot to do with resolution and frequency of your monitor, and if you are running multiple monitors.

A GTX 970 is probably a little more than what I need on my two 28" 1080p monitors playing BF4, but If I upgrade to a 4k monitor or put in a 3rd one, then 970 won't really cut it or lets just say its performance will be impacted. We are on the cusp of the "need" for 4k gaming. I think 4k is also becoming more mainstream for video editing which will lead to future 4k movies.

Back