• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pad-modding E5800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MichanOl

Registered
Hi, i am fairly new to computers and got an old Dell Inspiron 560, I know now that Dells are notriously tricky to overclock and almost all of the time require an bios flash and as I do not risk this as I have no money for a new motherboard or windows 7, I would like to try something I came across called Pad-modding, it sounds fairly simple and I was wondering if I would be able to perform it on my processor to squeeze some more needed power out of it, I have an Intel Pentium dual core E5800 processor here is all the information about it

Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Pentium E5800
Code Name Wolfdale
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 45nm
Specification Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model 7
Extended Model 17
Stepping A
Revision R0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64, NX, VMX
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Not supported
Fan Speed 493 RPM
Bus Speed 199.7 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 798.8 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3200 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Average Temperature 44 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 2 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 2048 KBytes

I was wondering if there is anyone who has pad modded this processor or similar or who knows any other ways around my overclocking problem as I do not want to have to buy a new processor

Thank You

If you are worried about spending money on new motherboard or any parts that might get damaged, I highly recommend not doing this. It can be successfull in overclocking a locked bios motherboard but you run this risk of toasting a perfectly good CPU. I also don't believe that you are going to notice a huge performance gain from doing this mod and it doesn't warrant the cost of a failure.

This was common when cpu's were locked and needed the extra 100+MHz to make games playable. I think your best bet is to save up money to buy a unlocked CPU and motherboard. AMD makes so great chips for overclocking on the cheaper side compared to Intel.

What are you doing on this computer to need the extra performance?

Well I am trying to play games on it, I have bought a fairly powerful graphics card that works nicely and produces good fps and also have a new power supply unit and am soon going to purchase new ram, I can play war thunder in maximum graphics and get fairly good fps on it, garry's mod with good fps, and counter strike with good fps however when I try to run arma 2 it lags and I have checked and my graphics card is fine for it however my cpu is not which is why I wanted to try and squeeze some more power out of it.

Arms 2/3 is a very poorly coded game that runs like crap on a $1000 CPU. I have a 4790k with a 780ti and I get maybe 45fps in Arma 3. I would not mod my CPU for one game that everyone had problems playing even with $5k rigs.

I also had another question that you may be able to help me with, I have two sticks of 1gb ddr3 ram so was wondering if all ddr3 ram will be compatible because there is always cheap used ram on ebay and I was just hoping to add a bit of extra ram 2 or possibly 4gb I cant remember what mhz my current ram was at, I have a feeling it was somewhere around 300mhz, I have space for two more ram sticks so i wanted to check that all ram would be compatible as most of the ram i find on ebay is something like 1333 mhz and wanted to check compatibility, thanks.

for game, ram will get you almost nothing to very little in speed, you might, and it's a big might, gain a little from more ram.
go to the dell sight and find the specs for your rig, in there will be the motherboard specs, find all the ram specs for the motherboard also find the specs for your ram, buy 8 gigs of that spec ram, if your board and operating system support that much ram and give it a go, i don't see that it's going to make much at all.

if your operating system is xp all you can use is 4 gigs.
post us a link to that motherboard manual and we might take a look for ourselves.

Download CPUz and look at the memory and SPD tabs. That will tell you what RAM you are currently running & what you need to match if you want to add two more sticks.

A pad-mod is definitely out of the question because of the high multiplier in the e5800. A pad-mod would attempt to overclock your CPU from 3.2 GHz to 4.2GHz. The Dell mobo and CPU cooler couldn't handle a jump like that.

Yeah I do have CPU-Z however I am not on my computer right now so cant check right now however I will check when I am back and post all of the specs, and okay thanks for the info on the pad modding, there have been a lot of dissappointments with this processor, I just wanted to squeeze some more power out of it, however now I have heard that arma 2 doesnt run well on anything Im not as bothered as to my surprise war thunder a free game on steam plays really nicely, rarely dropping below 30fps in maximum which for a very cheap computer is not bad, I wouldnt mind too much buying amd chip plus mobo asi have seen how cheap the chips are compared to the lga775 chips and the speeds the produce without overclocking it wouldnt be too bad however then i would need to buy windows 7, is there any way to get windows 7 for free?

I was also thinking as computers come with windows 7 builders so its tied to the motherboard, if i bought a second hand mother board with the hard drive the operating system was installed on will everything still work if i then just put a new processor in

i know im a bit late, but imo the cheapest and most cost effective route. Is going to be going to a Intel G3258 and ocing it to 4.2-4.4ghz, with your current video card as well as new psu/mobo/ram. even new if your in the states 4gb or ram is cheap, one thing to keep in mind more watts on the psu is not always better. you might get lucky and bet able to use the current windows key on the new setup. just keep it with the new setup, if it doesnt work then you would have to buy new win7. there is no way to get one for free unless you have a hookup with someone.

if your game, figure out how much you can spend on a new setup. some of us can put one together for you via newegg.com if your in the USA, otherwise let us know where your at/buying from.

Back