• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHEA Errors, but P95 stable...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
For those who find this thread, up your Vcore a bit. If you still get WHEA errors (even one!) back off your overclock and try again until you get ZERO WHEA errors. Either you have a crappy chip, or a crappy motherboard with weak power delivery systems like me.

---------------------
I'm lost and confused.

It started when Borderlands would randomly quit without warning, then HWmonitor would quit without warning..
Then I saw boatloads of WHEA errors in Event Viewer!

I need help getting rid of these before I can move on to getting X-Fire to play nice.

Specs:
i5 3570K 43x100 @ 1.26Vcore
G.Skill Ripjawsx 9-9-9-24 @1600
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
MSI R7850 @ 1120 core 1250 memory 1.15Vcore
Sapphire 270x @ 1120 core 1500 memory 1.245Vcore
Gigabyte Z77-HD4
LLC set to Extreme
Coolermaster i600 80+ Bronze PSU

What I have tried to troubleshoot:
Set OC lower (4.0 Ghz, 1.32 Vcore) -> No WHEA errors
Set stock clocks (1.32 Vcore) -> No WHEA errors
Set stock clocks, keeping RAM OC (9-10-9-28 1T @1866, 1.66 Volts) -> No WHEA errors
Set OC higher (4.4Ghz 1.32 Vcore) -> Lots of WHEA errors
Set RAM to XMP (4.4 Ghz 1.36 Vcore, 1.66 RAM voltage) -> Still get WHEA errors
Set OC high + high Vcore (4.5Ghz, 1.4 Vcore) -> Lots of WHEA errors

Some screenshots:

3 things I think can be the issue:
I set some setting wrong
CPU simply can't handle speeds over 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard's VRM (4+1+1) simple can't provide enough/clean power

Any idea's?

Last edited:
Well the biggest issue I see SP is trying to get to 4.4 from 4.0, slow down my friend! If it's stable at 4.0 try 4.1 not 4.4, get it stable at 4.1 and move up. Trying to jump from 4.0 to 4.4 will cause nothing but frustration. Figuring out what the root of the issue will be easier if you try one step at a time.

Well the biggest issue I see SP is trying to get to 4.4 from 4.0, slow down my friend! If it's stable at 4.0 try 4.1 not 4.4, get it stable at 4.1 and move up. Trying to jump from 4.0 to 4.4 will cause nothing but frustration. Figuring out what the root of the issue will be easier if you try one step at a time.

Yeah, I get that way sometimes... I was running 4.4Ghz since I got it, then I tried 4.0 just to see ;)
Lemme reboot and set 4.1 Ghz.

1 hour of Prime blend and no WHEA errors at all.
I'm going to try 4.2 Ghz @ 1.26 Vcore now.

So these WHEA errors I've been getting, I've read it's due to to low Vcore?

Here's a good review of your motherboard. It's likely going to be the weak point of your OC with a smaller VRM section and heatsink. I know you already know that, but what I found interesting in the review is that it took the reviewer more volts that other boards with the same setup. So don't be surprised if you experience the same results.Generally more volts equals more heat at the socket and VRM's so I'd mount a fan on them if you can. More volts and heat can also lead to a shorter life. So keeping everything cool should be a priority. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6964/gigabyte-z77hd4-review

Hmm that's something I didn't know. They needed more volts..
I thought I had a crappy chip, needing 1.3+ Vcore for 4.5 Ghz.

Maybe not..

Either way, 4.2 Ghz is stable at 1.26 Vcore. Not a single WHEA error.
I'll try 4.3 Ghz and 1.27 Vcore next.

Are you trying to play a game so you can see if the OC was causing the graphical problems?

I do get awful glitches and flashy bit in Borderlands after the drivers recover sometime anyway.
A reboot fixes those though.

4.3 Ghz @ 1.31Vcore is stable - games fine and no WHEA errors with Prime95, so I increased the Vcore to 1.32 and the CPU to 4.4 Ghz - WHEA errors galore :-/
I don't understand, it's like some wall at 4.4 Ghz giving me issues.

Any ideas? slap on lots of Vcore?
If I can't get 4.4 Ghz, then I'll work on the memory clocks and maybe raise the BCLK like I did with my old i5...

4.3 and it's stable at 1.31 cpu v how long did you test it?
4.4 could just be a point where you really need to start hitting it with voltage, if you're temps are good then hit it with more and see. If it gets to the point where you're running out of headroom temperature wise then 4.3 is still a respectable Oc. If you keep hitting it volts and it's still erroring out then it may be that the board just doesn't have the guts to run it up there. I have seen on AMD boards, so take it with a grain of salt, when the board doesn't have the power to run over X Mhz, prime will just freeze when started.

4.3 and it's stable at 1.31 cpu v how long did you test it?
4.4 could just be a point where you really need to start hitting it with voltage, if you're temps are good then hit it with more and see. If it gets to the point where you're running out of headroom temperature wise then 4.3 is still a respectable Oc. If you keep hitting it volts and it's still erroring out then it may be that the board just doesn't have the guts to run it up there. I have seen on AMD boards, so take it with a grain of salt, when the board doesn't have the power to run over X Mhz, prime will just freeze when started.

I tested 4.3 Ghz ~1 hour prime + 2 hours gaming. Not a single WHEA error.
Then I tested 4.4 Ghz (43x102.5), and fell asleep during the test, came back 2 hours later no WHEA, and gamed just fine. :shrug:

I'm running 4.5 Ghz as I type - 44x102.5 @ 1.35 Vcore, stable enough for Windows, but I see one WHEA already... (BTW, this chip hates high BCLK :p )

Anyway, I had a few BSOD's, the last one was 0x50, which is either too low VTT, or the uncore frequency is too high.
I can't change the uncore, let alone if Ivy chips even have this "uncore"

I'm going to hammer the Vcore right now, and I'll bump the VTT up a notch as well.

I tested 4.3 Ghz ~1 hour prime + 2 hours gaming. Not a single WHEA error.
Then I tested 4.4 Ghz (43x102.5), and fell asleep during the test, came back 2 hours later no WHEA, and gamed just fine. :shrug:

I'm running 4.5 Ghz as I type - 44x102.5 @ 1.35 Vcore, stable enough for Windows, but I see one WHEA already... (BTW, this chip hates high BCLK :p )

Anyway, I had a few BSOD's, the last one was 0x50, which is either too low VTT, or the uncore frequency is too high.
I can't change the uncore, let alone if Ivy chips even have this "uncore"

I'm going to hammer the Vcore right now, and I'll bump the VTT up a notch as well.
Don't go crazy SP, just give it 1 notch of voltage at a time and test. Not all chips will oc with the Bclk like your last. :D

Don't go crazy SP, just give it 1 notch of voltage at a time and test. Not all chips will oc with the Bclk like your last. :D

I wish they did :D
Safe MAX 24/7 Vcore is 1.4 volts for Ivy correct?

EDIT: I think I'm on to something here! :)
I set the BCLK back to 100, and then I set the multiplier to 45...
Then raised the Vcore to 1.38 and lowered the CPU PLL & IMC down 2 notches (1.645 & 0.84V respectively)

Ran Intel Burn test, and passed Standard and High levels without a single WHEA error! :thup:
I'll run Prime95 next!

Last edited:
No idea what 24/7 safe voltage is for the Ivy SP sorry.

Sounds like you're getting the knobs twisted in the right direction.

No idea what 24/7 safe voltage is for the Ivy SP sorry.

Sounds like you're getting the knobs twisted in the right direction.

Kinda, my brother wanted to game with me so I figured it'd be a good stability test of sorts.
A crapton of WHEA errors but the game never crashed until he decided to play something else. :-/
It did last 2 hours though so perhaps this chip needs less voltage, not more.

Either way I don't get it, either I lost the silicon lottery, or my motherboard is terribad so, instead of spinning my wheels on trying to make 4.5 Ghz work, I'm going to focus on getting 4.4 Ghz stable and then tweak the RAM some more.

Best I can do until I fetch a new motherboard one day :)

At least we know I can boot up at 4.5 Ghz and be stable enough for Windows - which is just enough for benching! :D

Kinda, my brother wanted to game with me so I figured it'd be a good stability test of sorts.
A crapton of WHEA errors but the game never crashed until he decided to play something else. :-/
It did last 2 hours though so perhaps this chip needs less voltage, not more.

Either way I don't get it, either I lost the silicon lottery, or my motherboard is terribad so, instead of spinning my wheels on trying to make 4.5 Ghz work, I'm going to focus on getting 4.4 Ghz stable and then tweak the RAM some more.

Best I can do until I fetch a new motherboard one day :)

At least we know I can boot up at 4.5 Ghz and be stable enough for Windows - which is just enough for benching! :D
My only suggestion is to stop jumping around, work on it will you get it stable and then move up the next 100 Mhz, the reality is that 4.3 is pretty darn good for 24/7 Oc. Getting it at or above 4.5 for benching purposes is a whole different ballgame.

My only suggestion is to stop jumping around, work on it will you get it stable and then move up the next 100 Mhz, the reality is that 4.3 is pretty darn good for 24/7 Oc. Getting it at or above 4.5 for benching purposes is a whole different ballgame.

It's just frustrating not knowing why feeding it way more Vcore than it needs does nothing when everything I've read says to add a little bit more Vcore to stop WHEA errors...

Getting late here, and I haven't been folding at all today.
I'll play with it tomorrow :p

Oh, and the benching thing? I was just saying it's darn close to 100% stable which is enough to bench on, so I know that I can atleast crank up the Mhz and still be stable enough for some benches :D

Thank you for the help so far guys, I appreciate it :)

It's just frustrating not knowing why feeding it way more Vcore than it needs does nothing when everything I've read says to add a little bit more Vcore to stop WHEA errors...

Getting late here, and I haven't been folding at all today.
I'll play with it tomorrow :p

Oh, and the benching thing? I was just saying it's darn close to 100% stable which is enough to bench on, so I know that I can atleast crank up the Mhz and still be stable enough for some benches :D

Thank you for the help so far guys, I appreciate it :)
This is the issues SP and it usually happens when you try going up on the Oc too quickly. Each extra 100Mhz will likely take a bump in Cpu V. Though, at some point on every chip I own there becomes a point where the next 100 Mhz increase needs significantly more voltage then the previous. For example say at 4.3 Ghz you need 1.31 Cpu V to be stable which we know. Now we don't know but for example purposes say it needs 1.335 Cpu V for 4.4 and 1.4 Cpu V for 4.5. It becomes easy to lose our way when just trying to jump the big numbers and push the voltage. The other issue is we do not know if the board is going to be capable of pushing to 4.5. You may find that you can get it stable at 4.4 but the jump in voltage is just too much to warrant trying to run 24/7 at that voltage.

Just to let you into my thoughts, my 8350 in my sig I run 24/7 at 4.7 Ghz. I have tested it up to 5.1 and have it passing 2 hours of blend every 100 Mhz from 4.7 to 5.1. I could run it 24/7 at 5.1 Ghz if I wanted. I looked at my notes and performance figures and the voltage jump necessary for me to run even at 4.8 Ghz Vs. the performance gain over 4.7 Ghz to me is silly. I believe on my chip I needed around .03 volts to run stable at 4.8 over 4.7. At 4.7 Ghz no matter what I do on my rig the Socket temps never go above 51c and the package stays around mid 40's. To me it just makes more sense to run it at 4.7 and when I want to give it a kick in the arse for benching I just dial it up.

You should be able to simply set your vcore higher to get rid of whea errors. The only time I wasnt able to do that with my 3770k (when I had it), was when it was near edge of what it would run stable at. Mine would do 4.7 with 1.31v, but I couldnt get 4.8 stable with no whea errors regardless of vcore.

Bottom line, I think your first post was correct, the fact that you cant increase vcore and get rid of them suggests your cpu is crappy and doesnt OC well.

Just to let you into my thoughts, my 8350 in my sig I run 24/7 at 4.7 Ghz. I have tested it up to 5.1 and have it passing 2 hours of blend every 100 Mhz from 4.7 to 5.1. I could run it 24/7 at 5.1 Ghz if I wanted. I looked at my notes and performance figures and the voltage jump necessary for me to run even at 4.8 Ghz Vs. the performance gain over 4.7 Ghz to me is silly. I believe on my chip I needed around .03 volts to run stable at 4.8 over 4.7. At 4.7 Ghz no matter what I do on my rig the Socket temps never go above 51c and the package stays around mid 40's. To me it just makes more sense to run it at 4.7 and when I want to give it a kick in the arse for benching I just dial it up.

What your cooling setup to run that 8350 that fast and that cool?

This is the issues SP and it usually happens when you try going up on the Oc too quickly. Each extra 100Mhz will likely take a bump in Cpu V. Though, at some point on every chip I own there becomes a point where the next 100 Mhz increase needs significantly more voltage then the previous. For example say at 4.3 Ghz you need 1.31 Cpu V to be stable which we know. Now we don't know but for example purposes say it needs 1.335 Cpu V for 4.4 and 1.4 Cpu V for 4.5. It becomes easy to lose our way when just trying to jump the big numbers and push the voltage. The other issue is we do not know if the board is going to be capable of pushing to 4.5. You may find that you can get it stable at 4.4 but the jump in voltage is just too much to warrant trying to run 24/7 at that voltage.

You should be able to simply set your vcore higher to get rid of whea errors. The only time I wasnt able to do that with my 3770k (when I had it), was when it was near edge of what it would run stable at. Mine would do 4.7 with 1.31v, but I couldnt get 4.8 stable with no whea errors regardless of vcore.

Bottom line, I think your first post was correct, the fact that you cant increase vcore and get rid of them suggests your cpu is crappy and doesnt OC well.

Crappy chip + low end board I think are my issues right now...
At the same time, this board was all I could afford when my old one died.

After I finished testing this run (just trying something here, 4.3 Ghz @ 1.38 Vcore) I'm starting fresh, from 4 Ghz.
But, I know this chip can do 4.3 Ghz, it just needs ridiculous Vcore, 1.38 volts to do it without any WHEA errors.

What your cooling setup to run that 8350 that fast and that cool?

IIRC Manny runs a nifty water loop :)

Back