• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "Security Camera" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't seen many recent threads about this, but here it goes.

I live in an apartment and whenever something goes wrong, the management company sends in maintenance guys when I'm at work, even after saying I'd rather it be done at a time I can be there. So far nothing has happened, I'm just being overly paranoid here.

I'm looking for two, maybe three basic network/internet security cameras, hopefully with the option to save to local storage. I don't need 1080p, waterproof, IR/nightvision (although that's a plus), or anything really heavy duty. Just something reliable that I won't need to go and reset twice a day.

My budget is $100, $150 if absolutely necessary. Hopefully one of these days I get my NAS working so I can save video to that, but may need something cheap until then - I have a couple spare external drives I can hook to my HTPC if there are any decent windows - based programs I can use.

Any suggestions?

$100-$150 each, or for the three you need? Foscam is pretty much the go-to brand for residential IP cameras these days. You can get a wifi version with PTZ and IR for around $60 or so, cheaper if you don't need PTZ.

$100-$150 each, or for the three you need? Foscam is pretty much the go-to brand for residential IP cameras these days. You can get a wifi version with PTZ and IR for around $60 or so, cheaper if you don't need PTZ.

Sorry, should have clarified - $100-$150 total, which is why I'm ok with having my HTPC doing the recording if necessary. I realize getting a stand-alone box for recording as well as the cameras is going to be tough in that range, even if I go used. But thanks for the tip about Foscam, I'll start looking into them.

I haven't seen many recent threads about this, but here it goes.

I live in an apartment and whenever something goes wrong, the management company sends in maintenance guys when I'm at work, even after saying I'd rather it be done at a time I can be there. So far nothing has happened, I'm just being overly paranoid here.
-snip-

First things, first. Check your state laws to see if the apartment is even "allowed" to enter your apartment without your permission (except in emergency situations) Some states (mine included) prohibit entry unless they schedule an appointment with you, or you sign a waiver (on a per-incident basis, no less)

That said, you can get some DLink security cams cheap each at Amazon (This is a link to all Dlink cams sorted by ascending prices)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...&ie=UTF8&qid=1419878394&rnid=2528832011&ajr=1

There are several different types...some are USB, some are wireless. There should be one or more that fit your needs

This is not an endorsement of DLink, though...you're on a budget so I looked at them because they're pretty affordable. I got no clue if they're adequate for you.

First things, first. Check your state laws to see if the apartment is even "allowed" to enter your apartment without your permission (except in emergency situations) Some states (mine included) prohibit entry unless they schedule an appointment with you, or you sign a waiver (on a per-incident basis, no less)

That said, you can get some DLink security cams cheap each at Amazon (This is a link to all Dlink cams sorted by ascending prices)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...&ie=UTF8&qid=1419878394&rnid=2528832011&ajr=1

There are several different types...some are USB, some are wireless. There should be one or more that fit your needs

This is not an endorsement of DLink, though...you're on a budget so I looked at them because they're pretty affordable. I got no clue if they're adequate for you.

I'll have to look into the state laws. I've thought about DLink since you're right, they are right in my price range, but I've heard not so good things about them from people I know in person - bad UI, having to be reset, randomly dropping connections, etc. If those are true or not, I'm not 100% sure, that's one of the things that led me to ask here.

@kyfire, thanks, I'll have to look around there as well.

Dlink works for me.

Cams with micro SD store locally but there are a plethora of options out there.

Just as an FYI, if anyone's interested, I have 4 cams that point out windows, and 4 cams that point inside my apartment.

In addition, I have 3 "fake" cams that are mounted in the most conspicuous locations so that anyone who comes in tends to pay far more attention to those "fakes", which gives the real cams more time to upload to the web (Just in case someone breaks in and immediately tries to take out the cams...)

Just as an FYI, if anyone's interested, I have 4 cams that point out windows, and 4 cams that point inside my apartment.

In addition, I have 3 "fake" cams that are mounted in the most conspicuous locations so that anyone who comes in tends to pay far more attention to those "fakes", which gives the real cams more time to upload to the web (Just in case someone breaks in and immediately tries to take out the cams...)

I do the same.

I'm also looking for cameras,we had our cars broken into about two weeks ago. This is the second time ,last time was mothers day five yrs ago in daylight,man a was mad:mad:

Yawcam is a handy program... Motion detection and multiple upload options including forward to email.

I mention it in context of they can swipe your worldly possessions but your left with images of who dunnit at least.
If the image quality is eligible for court and you've got a decent mug shot for the police to run through the criminal database then chances of compensation and taking the opportunist/troubled and desperate off the streets for the greater good is more likely.

Well thanks everyone, decided just to go with one of the cheap kits from ebay, there are a couple sets for ~$100 shipped. If those don't work, I'll sell it for what I can get then maybe grab some of the Foscam cameras pcgamer suggested. Thanks again.

Back