• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC the only thing that can be considered worthy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivy 2015
The first thing to do is to remove the headphones, using slippers instead of shoes and simply think about the matter...

I think that may go in my sig. Please don ever let this thread die. :)

Perhaps a overclockers PC is a supreme system but hardware is only half of the cookie, the other half is the software and it will always stay like that until the very end of the days.
I overclock my software too. ;):p

Can you overclock your console?

Literally no idea what the OP is on about... And don't think I have enough breadcrumbs to get back to the main forum page.

I bet gaming on new hardware these days is pretty awesome! I have 2 small boys, and not enough room.. I don't have the space for a desk anymore, or the cash like I used too. I make more money now than I did when I was able to have expensive hobbies.. I do still have my old gaming pc, but it spends most of its time running at stock clocks in sleep mode, when its not doing mundane tasks. So to me, a triple monitor insane performance epeen rig is not very practical for me these days. I do have a PS4 though.. And its not as beastly as a pc, it still does ok. My kids love it, and its relatively easy to use. I still prefer a kb and mouse for fps though, as I am not nearly as accurate as I would be with them. I usually buy games when they come on sale. I am a bit annoyed that the newer ps4 can run the big tb drives. I do wish my pc had usb3 like you guys.. And all that other new crap too I suppose.

Gotta bump this here.
Considering Sony's new PS4 Pro console coming out. The GPU power @ 4TF is that of a 970GTX GPU roughly. Next year the Xbox One Scorpio supposedly will have 6TF of power which is roughly that of a 1070GTX.
The consoles are actually starting to catch up to PC's in terms of graphics power. They currently pull roughly 1.8TF (PS4) and 1.3TF (XboxOne) of GPU processing power.

Course yes yes... GPU's will increase in power between now and at least the Scorpio's release date. I like that both MS and Sony are upgrading the consoles to have more power without needing to say that currently what is out is useless. I'd have to think its got to be easier on Dev's partially, like a PC, here is your Low, Med, High settings tied to the console, without needing to recode the game because of a new CPU type or the Base OS changing.

1070 performance next holiday season isn't really catching up, 970 performance this holiday season isn't catching up either. But you cannot expect a $400 to $500 consumer gaming system to keep up with top end PC graphics. What you should expect is a uniform product that developers can create stable games for.

1070 performance next holiday season isn't really catching up, 970 performance this holiday season isn't catching up either. But you cannot expect a $400 to $500 consumer gaming system to keep up with top end PC graphics. What you should expect is a uniform product that developers can create stable games for.

Console OS' make better use of their hardware. I remember reading an interview with John Carmack when the PS4 came out that PS4 1.84 TF equals about 3.86 TFLOPs on a PC this is just for the graphics. My shiny new GeForce GTX 1070 pushes out 6.46 TFLOPs therefore gives me about 65% power than a PS4. GTX 1080 is about 9 TFLOPs.

PSX4 Pro GPU 4.2GB so by Carmack formula in DX11 you'll need about 8.8 TFLOPs that's 98% of GTX 1080. If Sony start supporting keyboard and mouse this is gonna cause Team Green nightmares they will need a low-level API with hardware optimized for parallel execution to compete - Team Red doesn't have the market in PC but consoles. At least I have a 14 day cooling off period on the GTX 1070...

PlayStations, Xboxes and Wiis, oh my!

Reading this it sounds like a expression someones does that may have very few clues about the idea that is behind. Instead barely accepting the fact it does even exist and trying to cover the existence by a slightly ironical undertone. Perhaps a overclockers PC is a supreme system but hardware is only half of the cookie, the other half is the software and it will always stay like that until the very end of the days. There is indeed great software on consoles and at every age and timeline. However, the people never experiencing it... well... they may feel it is a matter of "oh my (touching forehead)...lets just accept theyr existence."

So in my mind... it can have a blatant tone that can easely be misunderstood. Although i can fully understand US mentality not truly in favor, since the XboxOne is ... well... someone simply was to cheap. :-/

On the console the Last of Us, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Mario Kart for me anyway but I much prefer MS Strategic Commander and mouse for controls..It all comes down to the games. May try the Sony PC cloud client just can't justify a PS4 for a couple of games...

Console OS' make better use of their hardware. I remember reading an interview with John Carmack when the PS4 came out that PS4 1.84 TF equals about 3.86 TFLOPs on a PC this is just for the graphics. My shiny new GeForce GTX 1070 pushes out 6.46 TFLOPs therefore gives me about 65% power than a PS4. GTX 1080 is about 9 TFLOPs.

PSX4 Pro GPU 4.2GB so by Carmack formula in DX11 you'll need about 8.8 TFLOPs that's 98% of GTX 1080. If Sony start supporting keyboard and mouse this is gonna cause Team Green nightmares they will need a low-level API with hardware optimized for parallel execution to compete - Team Red doesn't have the market in PC but consoles. At least I have a 14 day cooling off period on the GTX 1070...

Well said Haider. Its not just the console OS but dev's optimizing for a specific GPU. Computers have a wide range with limitations between OS and GPU manufacture, drivers, and overall generation of GPU.
But yes consoles are more efficient at using the CPU and GPU's true power... maybe PC's with the DX12 and low level API access will get some improvements in the future but there is low presence of this so far in the market.

So when saying its close/catching up they the consoles are doing decent, specifically for the 1080p resolution. And considering the fact the console is $250-400... that is the price of a good mid range to potentially entry into the upper range for a PC and its for a whole system. Consoles will never beat computers as they can't upgrade quick enough to keep up with the market but if these refreshes happen more often it can probably hang in there decently.

Higher resolutions, well to be seen what it can pull off in the future but even my R9 290 can pull off 4k at 30fps of course in some games.

just can't justify a PS4 for a couple of games...

I thought the same, but then the new Ratchet and Clank game was amazing so I did anyway. $200 for the PS4, bought the game for $30 on a super sale and finished it 100% in about 3 weeks of casual playing and sold it for $30 again. I could probably sell the PS4 for nearly $200 if I wanted to too, but I'm holding out for a few titles coming in 2017.

How true.

I read Microsoft is going to have a more frequent update cycle with XBOX.

How true.

I read Microsoft is going to have a more frequent update cycle with XBOX.

Yep, old news. They already released the Xbox One S a few weeks ago that is slimmer and adds a slightly higher clocked gpu and HDR support. Next year will be the Xbox One Scorpio that will have a higher clocked GPU which will supposedly be around 8TFLOPS of power. Now, we don't know what the cost of this system will be, but they are shooting for true 4K support as I understand it, I can't imagine the console being less than $599 in order to hit that performance level.

The XBOX S 2TB is $399.99, I would think the Xbox One Scorpio would be $499.99

$299.99 for a 500GB version, $349.99 for 1TB version and $399.99 for 2TB version.
We know it will be more than $299.99 right now but who knows how much. Considering the revised console was even considerably less than I expected only a $50 bump from the stock Xbox One for the extra features, I'd say it could potentially be $400. I'm not sure they would potentially stretch it again above that price point because of the hit they took last time but its going to be a powerful beast for a console at 6+ TFlops of power.

With all this I'm curious where Nintendo will stand for their next console.

With all this I'm curious where Nintendo will stand for their next console.

Behind. Everything I have seen and read about the NX does not give me a good feeling about this console. It looks like they just doubled down on the Wii U formula.

As I see it, the niche that Nintendo is aiming at is already filled by phones and tablets.

This may be the end for Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back