• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte mboard bios corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djnunny

Registered
as my title states i am having issues with the bios
everytime the computer is shutdown and left overnight the next morning i come to turn it on and get a quick power up with just fans twice and on the third attempt it brings up a bios type screen telling me the main bios is corrupted and is restoring from back-up this has now happened 4 days on par:bang head and i have no idea were to begin troubleshooting this issue can anyone help in any way would be much appreciated thanks

system spec:
windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4
Amd a10-5800k OC 3.8Ghz
8.00GB ddr3
1TB HDD
128GB SSD

REmove any overclock being done to the system and REtest to see if the same thing happens when the board is at stock/default speed and settings. Probably the easiest way to return to Defaults is to clear the CMOS. That is the very first step in troubleshooting.
RGone...ster.

REmove any overclock being done to the system and REtest to see if the same thing happens when the board is at stock/default speed and settings. Probably the easiest way to return to Defaults is to clear the CMOS. That is the very first step in troubleshooting.
RGone...ster.

What power supply are you using?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-059-OP&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2466

that psu and ill try doing that the stuff came overclocked from overclockers

Ouch, that PSU looks pretty terrible...
I've seen quite a few reports of "blew up and took my system with it" in two minutes of searching for a review.

It's very possible that the PSU is the issue, but definitely do what RGone said to troubleshoot some for us first.

well its been running for just over a year and i have never had an issue with it other than noisy fan ill try and track down a replacement if i can

Just because it ran for a year doesn't mean that it didn't do damage to the system with poor ripple suppression or shoddy voltage regulation.
Whether the PSU is the cause of the current issue or not, I would look at replacing it. What budget can you afford for a suitable replacement?

dont have much of a budget especially right after christmas lol my local shop has an arctic red 650w for 25 quid i think even that would be better than this.

i knew when i got it was to be replaced just never round to it :( hope to god my board is ok dont fancy replacing that aswell :sly:

Just because it ran for a year doesn't mean that it didn't do damage to the system with poor ripple suppression or shoddy voltage regulation.
Whether the PSU is the cause of the current issue or not, I would look at replacing it. What budget can you afford for a suitable replacement?

http://prntscr.com/5mlu8o

if thats true could i get away with a lower psu say a 500w? or the corsair 430w?

ok so acknowledged i need a new psu which i will get knowing i can get a lower one around 400-500w makes it better to find a good one cheaper, but my main issue still stands when my computer is left to stand the main bios gets corrupted, last night as a cautionary measure i cut power to the whole thing by using switch on the psu and still had the issue anyone got any ideas what causes if any lead to that :(

Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the motherboard battery, since that's what keeps power to the BIOS chips to store information when power is cut.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the motherboard battery, since that's what keeps power to the BIOS chips to store information when power is cut.

wouldnt the board pick up on a flat cmos battery? suppose it wouldnt hurt to change it :)

The board won't tell you if the CMOS battery goes dead.

lol silly me i always thought they had a warning on first post for that :p i will purchase i new battery :)
my plan is to go shops get a psu and couple cans of compressed air, gut the tower down rebuild it up and reset the cmos to take away those nasty overclocks hopefully i can report good news :)

Your first post mentioned nothing about having the 7770.......

That said, the review you linked used a MAX of 259W at the wall. When overclocked.
You're fine with the unit I suggested.

Died in under a year of use
A little frustrating
DO NOT BUY

Wow those are the titles of the three user reviews at OCUK posted on their own user review section for that power supply. I am not impressed. And it seems you are at that one year mark as well in your computer journey and now with problems that are now beginning to surface.

One this is for sure and that is nothing happens in the computer without a power supply. Overall good clean power to the parts in the computer is always a big bonus. It is always thought to be real good logic to have good electrical power going to components since they tend to do better when so supplied. Just a thought to make sure that power is good when starting to check for repair of other symptoms.
RGone...ster.

Back