• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB not booting with new RAMs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kortam

I have bought 3 single RAMs "3*4GB" to work as triple channel on my ASUS Rampage II Extreme. The new RAMs specific type is F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - G.Skill 4GB 1600 MHZ CL9 9-9-9-24 1.5V. After the installation, my MB didn't boot at all and didn't even beep. I want to add that before purchasing the memory i have checked G.Skill RAM Configurator to know if the RAM is compatible with my MB or not and fortunately i have found that there is no issue from installing this type. Please, i need your support to know what is going on. Thanks in advance.

RAM Type:-

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9s-4gbrl

RAM Compatibility:-

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=40&model=208

Solutions that I have tried but nothing changed:-

1- I have tried to install only one stick in the MB and it also didn't boot.

2- I have tested the new 3 stick in another PC and they were working without any problems.

3- I already have triple channel 3*2GB Corsair Dominator RAMs and i am installing the new sticks in the OLD RAMs slots "As recommended from the MB QVL to work as triple channel". Also, this means that the MB RAM's slots are not faulty.

4- I tried to reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS for 5 Mins then install the new RAMs but unfortunately this also, didn't work.

5- I enabled the XMP on the old RAMs then installed the new stick "I gave a try with only one stick and another with the 3 sticks" and again no boot.

6- I installed one old stick beside a new one and the MB booted but, it didn't read the new stick. Only the old one.

Please, note that i am not over clocking any PC component and I am using the processor stock fan. I am waiting for any recommendations to try.

My PC Components are as below:-

1- Processor: Core I7 920 D0 2.57 GHZ
2- MB: Asus Rampage II Extereme
3- RAM: Corsair Dominator 3*2GB 1600 MHZ 8-8-8-24
4- HD: Corsair Force GT 120GB
5- PSU: Gigabyte Odin GT 800 W
6- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1. Gaming

Actually, My MB is too old and it's QVL wasn't updated since 2008. As a result all the RAM's types in the QVL are not available in the markets. So, i have only checked from G.Skill side that the RAM is compatible with the X58 chip and specifically with my MB but didnot from ASUS side. Also, i would like to add that I have the latest BIOS 2101.

Of course no, but I am using 3 G.Skill single sticks not a triple channel kit because it is not available in the markets. Also, Please, notice that the MB is not operating with only one single G.SKILL stick, don't know why?!!

Maybe I'm missing it, but your board isn't on the memory qvl in the first place...

Try manually setting the timings and voltage for the new sticks with the old sticks is my suggestion.

On that Rampage 2 Mobo is there any Mem OK button?? If not then i would set the Voltage and timings in the Bios by hand as ED said before, but there is no guarantee it will still work. As 3 odd sticks on some Boards does not help or even 2 pairs put together is about the same.

Ajay.

Just to be sure, on these boards 1st memory slot = last counting from cpu side. It probably won't boot with 1 stick in any other slot. 3 sticks = 2/4/6 slots but you already know that running other memory kit.
I'm not sure if this G.Skill kit is going to work as it's newer, high density memory and some sub timings can be out of timing table but it still should boot at least at auto/SPD settings. If it won't even start with 1 stick then it will be really hard to give any advice.

That link doesn't work. The link in the first post it's not in the list.

The whole site is not working. Don't know what happened. I will check it again, once it is available i will inform you.

On that Rampage 2 Mobo is there any Mem OK button?? If not then i would set the Voltage and timings in the Bios by hand as ED said before, but there is no guarantee it will still work. As 3 odd sticks on some Boards does not help or even 2 pairs put together is about the same.

Ajay.

I think there is a LED for that i will check it.I will try changing the timing manually and share the results, but the problem is that the MB is not even booting with only one stick.

Just to be sure, on these boards 1st memory slot = last counting from cpu side. It probably won't boot with 1 stick in any other slot. 3 sticks = 2/4/6 slots but you already know that running other memory kit.
I'm not sure if this G.Skill kit is going to work as it's newer, high density memory and some sub timings can be out of timing table but it still should boot at least at auto/SPD settings. If it won't even start with 1 stick then it will be really hard to give any advice.

I think it should work with no issues. Please, check the attached picture for X58 DDR3 RAM slots configurations. I agree with you if i installed the 3 stick it should at least boot then, I may have some performance issues or something but, unfortunately that is not happening it is not working at all. Do not know why?!!!!.

Attachments

• DDR3_GA.jpg
    DDR3_GA.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 363
I think there is a LED for that i will check it.I will try changing the timing manually and share the results, but the problem is that the MB is not even booting with only one stick.
Tbats why I said do it with the working sticks. :)

The other thing linked to memory is bad or bent pins in the CPU Socket, which can prevent boot up! But you did mention it fired up with the other ram installed. I would go with ED or Woomack you have the best 2 guy's helping you right now.

Happy New Year,

Ajay.

P.S. Best of luck with the ram!

If I understood you correctly in your post #5 you stated that the new modules were not from a kit, but instead were three individual modules and the model number you gave in post #1 is consistent with a single module (that is what the "S" after the "CL9" indicates).

Could you provide the first 8 digits of the serial number from each of your three modules? The first 3 or 4 will indicate the manufacturing year / week and the next 4 will indicate the type of memory chips under the heat spreader. In addition, look at the modules closely and tell us if there are memory chips on both sides of the PCB, or only one side.

With this info we will have a good idea as to what specific chips where used to build the modules. Knowing the ICs used will help in determining board compatability, as well as allow us to make suggestions based on the attributes of those particular memory chips.

If you have single-sided modules then they may be using 4Gb ICs (same as those used in double-sided 8GB modules) which could very well be the source of the compatability problem.

Also, when these modules were successfuly tested on an alternative system, what platform was it (CPU & motherboard)?

I think it should work with no issues. Please, check the attached picture for X58 DDR3 RAM slots configurations. I agree with you if i installed the 3 stick it should at least boot then, I may have some performance issues or something but, unfortunately that is not happening it is not working at all. Do not know why?!!!!.

On all my X58 boards 1st memory slot on the right had to be used in case of running 1 memory stick so DDR3_5 on the photo. Next DDR3_3 and last DDR3_1. I'm not sure why every motherboard manufacturer is marking it in a different way. If you can't make it boot then probably motherboard is not supporting new, high density modules. Probably it works only with 4GB double sided or 2GB single sided modules. I had no issues like that on Rampage III Extreme but Rampage II is older version and had no BIOS updates when new memory was available.

Can't help but wonder how this one ended? Would have been worthwhile to find out a little bit more about the ram being used.

Yeah they kinda give you a taste and then leave you hanging lol! :(

Happy New Year "RM" :salute:

Ajay.

Back