• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battery locations can suck on Motherboards!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Will the designers, engineers and manufacturers of motherboards please stop placing the battery under the PCIe slots? It's hard enough to remove this guy with one air cooled GPU. What am I supposed to do when running a X-fire or SLI set up on water? Dumb dumb dumb!
:mad:
View attachment 158083

I've thought the same thing for a while now. 'Back when' the battery had two wire leads which could be adjusted, i.e., made longer using butt connectors and could be mounted anywhere using tape. But they also were lead/acid and needed changing every year or so.

Right now nothing, but once I go x-fire water cooled it becomes a much bigger PITA.

My old Abit AW9D had the battery and CMOS jumper under the 2nd 16x slot. It was a real pain trying to push an overclock when I was benching all the time.

I got a momentary switch mounted to an expansion slot cover connected to the jumper pins. That made life easier for benching. Still had to pull a video card to replace the battery though.

Right now nothing, but once I go x-fire water cooled it becomes a much bigger PITA.

Replace the battery when you go watercooled x fire. Just test the battery before you put it to make sure that it has a full charge.

Right, but I generally remove the battery when I clear my cmos. This is a benching rig. I probably Shoulda started with that fact. LOL

Right, but I generally remove the battery when I clear my cmos. This is a benching rig. I probably Shoulda started with that fact. LOL

No need to do that. Hold the button down ~5sec and it's just like removing that battery.

If a battery replacement once every 5 years is that much of a hassle... I dunno... Your motherboard will likely go out of relevance before you need to change the battery.

I never said it is frequent, but dead batteries do happen.

All time worst is the AsRock Z87m

next to the socket, condisation is always running into it, ended up having to silicone it in .... :screwy:

It's almost like the manufacturer totally forgets about the battery during the product design and when they come to testing they realise it's missing from the board!

Then the development team play a blindfolded version of "Pin the tail on the donkey" to decide where to put the missing battery. It's probably great fun for them too! :D

"Hold down the button" not on this board. I've cleared it using just the jumper pins with the battery still in and no go. Battery must be out. :shrug:

Nothing to add except that I agree, sometimes bad placement for cmos bat.

i know the feeling, i run quite a few 775 motherboards just bought not too long ago 10 cmos battery's because all the cmos batteries have been dying in them lol.

mine is only 18 moths old and dead, gotta take both cards out to get at it , its not rocket science to put is somewhere else, still give the machine a good clean while im replacing it :)

Back