• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Power and Reset problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello all and Happy New-Year!!

specs in case

Msi gaming 3 - mb
G.skill Sniper 1866 9-10-9 - ram
4690k under Cooler Master 612 ver.2 - cpu and cooler
R9 290x - video card
Evga 750w - power supply

As some of you may know, I killed my mb in my daily driver:)eek:). The replacement, an MSI gaming 3, is having some weidr issue with the power and reset buttons. I connect the pw + rs, built into the case, cm 430 elite, to where they go on the mb (kinda standard). All connected fine so I try to power up and nothing at all happens. I find the manual and make certain all is connected properly (and it is) but no power or any signs of anything. I am just about to tear down and rebuild (pita with the cm 612 v2 air cooler attached) but before I do I take a small flat-head screwdriver and jump the pins manually. The computer comes to life.

Now I have been using the screwdriver to start my pc for 2 - 3 days. My question, what is going on here, help?

I guess I should clarify that the buttons are/were working fine on all my other stuff, I've taken them out of the case and tried them on other pc just to be sure.

Last edited:
Hello all and Happy New-Year!!

specs in case

Msi gaming 3 - mb
G.skill Sniper 1866 9-10-9 - ram
4690k under Cooler Master 612 ver.2 - cpu and cooler
R9 290x - video card
Evga 750w - power supply

As some of you may know, I killed my mb in my daily driver:)eek:). The replacement, an MSI gaming 3, is having some weidr issue with the power and reset buttons. I connect the pw + rs, built into the case, cm 430 elite, to where they go on the mb (kinda standard). All connected fine so I try to power up and nothing at all happens. I find the manual and make certain all is connected properly (and it is) but no power or any signs of anything. I am just about to tear down and rebuild (pita with the cm 612 v2 air cooler attached) but before I do I take a small flat-head screwdriver and jump the pins manually. The computer comes to life.

Now I have been using the screwdriver to start my pc for 2 - 3 days. My question, what is going on here, help?

I guess I should clarify that the buttons are/were working fine on all my other stuff, I've taken them out of the case and tried them on other pc just to be sure.

Bad switch or bad connection somewhere it sounds like.

My pwr switch is just 2 wires now, I just touch 'em together to power down :p

The power button (switch I should say) is only two wires here, one red and one white. Reset is one blue one white. I'm starting to think the pins on the mb are to not long enough to make connection, but that just can't be right.

The power button (switch I should say) is only two wires here, one red and one white. Reset is one blue one white. I'm starting to think the pins on the mb are to not long enough to make connection, but that just can't be right.

Or there's some break in the wire somewhere.
It shouldn't matter which colour wire is on the pwr button pins too.

Got a spare motherboard to try the buttons on?
Or even a mulitmeter to measure the ohms when you press the button.

I figured it out... with another switch.

I have to hold the button down to just before it clicks for like two seconds for it to work. I can't just hit the the power and have it power up, I have to hold it in a funny way to get any response from it. I'm okay with that though, like last line of defense lol

I've had like five mothrboards in this case and never had this issue?

I figured it out... with another switch.

I have to hold the button down to just before it clicks for like two seconds for it to work. I can't just hit the the power and have it power up, I have to hold it in a funny way to get any response from it. I'm okay with that though, like last line of defense lol

I've had like five mothrboards in this case and never had this issue?

Sounds like a worn out button.

At least it still kinda works :p

Sounds like a worn out button.

At least it still kinda works :p

Kinda sort of but not anymore. :)

Power switch stopped working last night. The reset wires fell off this morning. I'm looking for a new case now. I usually wouldn't care but I am trying to have at least one fully built, in a case with everything working and all wires tucked away, computer as a daily driver while anything else is fair game for whatever. I could just fix it but I want a new case that can hold a water loop too :D.

I drew an arrow pointing at where the reset wires came out and circled where the power wires are having a problem. I used this button a lot I guess.

More a problem with the case, not motherboard at all.

whyyyyyy.PNG

Kinda sort of but not anymore. :)

Power switch stopped working last night. The reset wires fell off this morning. I'm looking for a new case now. I usually wouldn't care but I am trying to have at least one fully built, in a case with everything working and all wires tucked away, computer as a daily driver while anything else is fair game for whatever. I could just fix it but I want a new case that can hold a water loop too :D.

I drew an arrow pointing at where the reset wires came out and circled where the power wires are having a problem. I used this button a lot I guess.

More a problem with the case, not motherboard at all.

View attachment 158313

Bad switch or bad connection somewhere it sounds like.

I called it! :bday:

Well you now have a legitimate reason to buy a snazzy new case! :thup:

I'm still looking for the right one... I moved everything over to a raidmax vortex for now.. ok for now but I want something better soon, at last it works lol

I found The one!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133275

Thermaltake Core X9

That should have enough room for everything and if not, stack one more.

I just might be able to use all my fans too!

Last edited:
Thanks ikd why it didn't work :shrug:

I'm ordering it monday night, the only problem is that all my other stuff is here so I must practice patience for like a week.
(rad, gpu waterblock, new tubing, &c)

**Update**

F Monday I just ordered it and am very excited!!

Last edited:
Back