• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to keep sleeved cables in order?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

During a dry install, Im noticing my sleeved cables are 'flaring out', which is rather annoying. I'd prefer not use zip ties or things that will look bad. Anyone have any non intrusive ideas for this?

Cable combs! Nice, thank you. As for patience... I think you know the answer to that one ;)

I opted for cable stitching and lots of patience. The first stitch took an hour with the learning curve. The third took only 30 minutes. For the back, out of side, I opted for cable combs. Overall, I love the look, especially as the cables don't bunch up. I went to far as to do the same with my second rig, using blue and white instead of red and white.

Give it a shot! Find a comfortable chair put on some music or the TV and enjoy. It really was a pleasant thing to do.

I think you know the answer to that one
Yeah but sometimes we do have patience for certain things, though I doubt sewing would be one of yours. Then again it could be considered relaxing to some people :screwy: :D

@rpjkw11
I opted for cable stitching and lots of patience. The first stitch took an hour with the learning curve. The third took only 30 minutes. For the back, out of side, I opted for cable combs. Overall, I love the look, especially as the cables don't bunch up. I went to far as to do the same with my second rig, using blue and white instead of red and white.

Give it a shot! Find a comfortable chair put on some music or the TV and enjoy. It really was a pleasant thing to do.
It does take a bit of time to do the sewing but it looks really good when done. Though, I do think if my wife saw me sewing computer cables together she'd send me to the loony bin. :thup:

Some thick neon green stitching would really be nice for this. I'll try it and see how I fare haha.

Ok, stopped at hobby lobby and picked up some sweet neon green thread. Spent about 10 minutes trying to thread the needle before I gave that up haha. BUT, I decided on a new route. basically, just wrapping the crap out of the sleeving, then putting a drop of super glue on the thread. Seems to work exceptionally well, and the "look" is what Im going for. Its still incredibly mind numbing and time consuming, dont think Im just "wrapping it around" or anything, I am going around each cable, and wrapping them into pairs.

20150102_161955_resized_zps87113545.jpg

comparison of one pcie cable vs the other pcie cable, MUCH cleaner!

20150102_163007_resized_zps3946509f.jpg

Not perfect, but any distance more than 4 inches, they look pretty good. Certainly does the job as well.

Back