• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon SIII: January, Aquamark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have high performance pump then it won't freeze too. I used to test on really large ice cubes before I got ss. I mean like 2-4kg ( 4-8 lbs if I'm counting good ) into large bucket and not much water so it won't melt so fast. I was using Hydor 1200 l/m pump. Old and noisy but was good.
Good water cooling has higher thermal capacity than SS so it's for sure better for FX CPUs and some graphics cards. When I was benching FX @1.55V+ then under load I had water on the board. It was constantly above 0*C during any tests and in idle was dropping not much below 0.

I don't think it matters what pump you're using when the ambient is -30°c and pushing the water through a rad.
Bummer E_D I thought you were gonna have some luck with colder temps.

I don't think it matters what pump you're using when the ambient is -30°c and pushing the water through a rad.
Bummer E_D I thought you were gonna have some luck with colder temps.

I was benching without rad with freezed water just because I had wc at home and rad was causing ice to melt faster. If you bench with rad outside and loop is larger then it may freeze when rig will be in idle or simply turned off for short period of time. Anyway whatever works good for you is best and glycol or other stuff is cheap :)

It didn't really matter if I was idle or not. The FX is a hot chip but not hot enough to keep the water mix over -20°c. I had three instances where I had to add more glycol to the mix because it froze while benching. The reservoir and block would be covered with frost just like the inside of a freezer. I did the cold water with ice paks before I tried the rad outside and never had problems with freezing but this is a totally different beast.

I have to think about GTX980. It clearly overheats on water at anything above 1500MHz.
Yesterday was -1°C outside. Average temp since the beginning of winter is above 0. Since couple of years I can't even freeze water outside and have too small fridge. About 5 years ago I had always 20kg+ ice prepared for benching but not anymore.

Can't you just buy a few blocks of ice? Here they're about $3 ea.
The VRM get really hot too. I stuck the HS back on them with an elastic band and have fans blowing cold air. I will have some 2mm nuts today to do it right Haha. It's not easy to find them that size and I had to buy 50 of them to get the store to order them.

you guys are hard core

Wouldn't be easier to just strap a pot on the the CPU and GPU and use dry ice or ln2 ?

you guys are hard core

Wouldn't be easier to just strap a pot on the the CPU and GPU and use dry ice or ln2 ?
Don't need to insulate when the entire rig is outside, LOL! :p

I just chucked everything out there and ran wires through a crack in the door.

Didn't help me much this time around, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, yeah. Its a good way to get a couple hundred more Mhz pretty easy. Those that hang theirs out a window I am jealous of, LOL!

Can't you just buy a few blocks of ice? Here they're about $3 ea.
The VRM get really hot too. I stuck the HS back on them with an elastic band and have fans blowing cold air. I will have some 2mm nuts today to do it right Haha. It's not easy to find them that size and I had to buy 50 of them to get the store to order them.

Nothing like that here. Noone would buy it :p
Reminds me of this ( can't find better quality ):

No time and money for that this second... plus, others aren't using it... so why be different and win only because I use and have access to LN2? :)

No time and money for that this second... plus, others aren't using it... so why be different and win only because I use and have access to LN2? :)

I don't have a choice, all my stuff is set up for pots.

the spacers I use for my rods won't even let em install an Intel stock cooler

So DICE and ln2 is all I have. Dice is cool, but the fumes from the acetone give me a headache

I am hoping to get a 35 on Saturday so i can post a score.

If my set up will go ???

Well hopefully it works and no permanent damage Witchy. If you don't get first then there is a problem.

Culbrelai/GTX 670/2/stock/187309

I like it how it says "Unknown Other" under CPU, What's the matter Aquamark, too much cores 4 u?

qSY9I9F.jpg

Don't need to insulate when the entire rig is outside, LOL! :p

I just chucked everything out there and ran wires through a crack in the door.

Didn't help me much this time around, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, yeah. Its a good way to get a couple hundred more Mhz pretty easy. Those that hang theirs out a window I am jealous of, LOL!

I'm not jealous at all myself - My entire benching setup and area period is out there.
No need to move anything at all and if the weather is nice-n-cold, it's all cold. Makes for some nice temps all around BUT I do have to dress for it and sometimes it can be a pain. When I crank up the blowers for cooling the board and RAM I have to wear gloves sometimes just to stand it, a clear case of numb fingers.

When that's going on I turn it loose and go inside until it's done, then head out again to get the shot if it completed the run.

However in warm weather it's a different story. :p

That's good news Pharaoh. Finally make that thing go, go , go :thup:

That's good news Pharaoh. Finally make that thing go, go , go :thup:
Will do tonight! :salute:

Hey, it's a good mobo plus it's a blue themed motherboard.
Also, there's no warranty since I'm not the original owner. ;)

TBH, I saw that a G.1Sniper was in the classies... I would have bought that but it was "sold" at the time I bought this P8Z77 PRO. The day after I bought it from here, the G.1Sniper was back up for sale for the same price as the ASUS I just bought lol.
Bad timing :p

Back