• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New sabertooth 990fx CPU LED solid red, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

callumwi9htman

Registered
Hey guys Ive recently had a problemm with my old mobo, I was gaming and my mobo caught fire/burnt out. So then I ordered a new one, this time a sabertooth 990fx which can handle my 8 core processor, the reason the other mobo died is because it only has 4 VRM or something not suitable for 8 cores..

Anyway my new motherboard has a solid red CPU LED and makes a high pitch electrical noise when I try to post it/turn it on, the noise isn't coming from any of my fans so I presume it's my CPU? Has it died? Or was it the CPU that killed my mobo by frazzling? Btw I was overlooking my CPU at the time but I've never had any problems with it before. Please help, thanks :)

Old flaming board probably killed that cpu as it was singing its' last hurrah. I doubt I would keep on trying to boot that new Sabertooth with a dorked processor.
RGone...ster.

Old flaming board probably killed that cpu as it was singing its' last hurrah. I doubt I would keep on trying to boot that new Sabertooth with a dorked processor.
RGone...ster.
Yup yup. CPU is a goner.

Yeah I'll stop trying to boot it incase it something happens, I'll just have to buy another processor and see if that's it, no other choice ... Being a student and relying on a computer to get 3D renders and Modeling isn't cheep

Thanks mate

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh **** :(

On a side note, just to dummy check, have you made darn sure your 8 pin and 24 pins are FIRMLY connected? Also, you are using your 4+4 or 8 pin not a 6+2 pin right?

We meet again :D and don't worry man I fixed it I purchased a 8320 as my 8120 actually was dead... :( anyway it's all working now man just downloading drivers ect as I had to install windows a fresh

Cheers

Great to hear you are up and running again. Thanks for giving a shout back so we knew what was the issue as we diagnose and often never hear if we had it right or not. Not knowing back does not help us hone our skills. Thanks man and good luck now.
RGone...ster.

Looking for help on the same problem.

Back-Ground :
New FX-8350 - Moved the old FX-8320 back into my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.x (The rig is used for F@H with 4 R9-280X)
New Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 - Replaced my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.x in my gaming rig
New EVGA 1300 G2 power supply - Replaced a PC Power&Cooling Mark III 1200 (Moved to F@H rig)
Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 overclocked to 2133 @ 9-11-9-27 2T 1.65v
Gigabyte 2x HD-7950 WF3 Rev 1.x overclocked to 1150/1375
All Item's, except MB's NB/SB, are water cooled by 2x MCP-655, EK water blocks, and a 360 Black Ice Stealth x 3 190 CFM Delta's

I had finally got all the parts installed and was doing some benchmark runs on Friday, trying to tweak the board. I was able to get a 5087GHz @1.4875v run out of her, so I slowed her down to 4.7 to retweak on another day. On Saturday, I decided to play COD AW, I was able to play for about 5 min before I got a BSOD. When I rebooted, I had a red light on the CPU LED. I rebooted again hoping to clear the error. I heard a faint sizzle sound and then a strong smell of burnt electrical. I had already killed the power by the PSU, when I first heard the odd sound. The smell came from under the VRM heat sink. I have a RMA request with ASUS pending but I don't know if the CPU is still good. Hopefully I can upload a pic for you guys to see.

Bad MOSFET on ASUS MB Pic #1.jpg Bad MOSFET on ASUS MB Pic #2.jpg

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

MaddMutt

It is for certain that mobo is not going to work without serious repair. If the cpu is still good or bad is just a real guess. If you're lucky it is still okay. If your luck stinks it may have died in the trajedy.

Moving forward to RMA, I have been taught a thing or two. Take very good high resolution pics of that board before you send it off. Pics make for evidence you did not send a motherboard in for RMA with a screwdriver gouge in it which is not of your making. Write the serial number down so you know if you got another board or your own again repaired.

Pulling the VRM heat sink is not a good idea when you want a company to repair something up under it. It leaves the situation open to the heatsink being pulled at a point not known and a remount of the heatsink being poor. When I worked RMA's I told the users to never fool around with the board. I do not know what Asus thinks but just for future reference.

Good luck with RMA and hope it is not overly lengthy.

Oh by the way, most of us have fan/fans blowing onto the VRM sink since when water cooling comes into play there is no air wash from air-cooled cpu to blow over the VRM sink to aid in removing hot air from the sinked area.
RGone...ster.

It is for certain that mobo is not going to work without serious repair. If the cpu is still good or bad is just a real guess. If you're lucky it is still okay. If your luck stinks it may have died in the trajedy.

Moving forward to RMA, I have been taught a thing or two. Take very good high resolution pics of that board before you send it off. Pics make for evidence you did not send a motherboard in for RMA with a screwdriver gouge in it which is not of your making. Write the serial number down so you know if you got another board or your own again repaired.

Pulling the VRM heat sink is not a good idea when you want a company to repair something up under it. It leaves the situation open to the heatsink being pulled at a point not known and a remount of the heatsink being poor. When I worked RMA's I told the users to never fool around with the board. I do not know what Asus thinks but just for future reference.

Good luck with RMA and hope it is not overly lengthy.

Oh by the way, most of us have fan/fans blowing onto the VRM sink since when water cooling comes into play there is no air wash from air-cooled cpu to blow over the VRM sink to aid in removing hot air from the sinked area.
RGone...ster.

Thank You Sir for the quick reply.
I first took a pic for tech support :
ASUS Sabertooth R2.0.JPG

I took the other pic's, to request a change from tech support, to a RMA request.
For the past several years, my luck stinks, I have been fighting Leukemia.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

Back