• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

So it seems that im in the market for a new headset, my Steelseries Siberia V2 has served me well over the years but alas it is kicking the bucket. Earlier this year the microphone decided to die, which i took the headset apart in order to attempt to fix with no lick(faulty wiring/ kink)The drivers themselves are starting to show their age as well with minor crackling during massive amount of sounds(battlefield for example) playing at once. Ive been through the rounds and cant seem to find a new set that matches both my budget and need for a decent headset.

I have considered purchasing a separate mic/headphone setup but that puts me at much more of a cost disadvantage. I have also considered purchasing another set of V2's as the price has dropped in recent years, but am hesitant. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal for the most part with some other genre's thrown in but I have ways to cope with different EQ settings so that's not much of a worry. Other than my music addiction I mostly play FPS with these with the occasional RPG/RTS thrown in. I would prefer to get the budge at or below $100 but seems my options are limited doing this. I would really enjoy having a mic again to order people around in my MMO crazes :rofl:

That brings me to a conclusion as it doesn't seem to be very well covered on OC forums, what would be considered a good headset for >=$100??

Thanks in advance. Note: I havent had a chance to toy with my nepton 140XL+OC for those curious.

I heared that Kingston Hyper headset is good. Though, it is a closed one.

First off Which HyperX? and Ive heard mixed reviews of the G35, some like some dont... and lastly Whats the opinions for Audio Technica ATH-M50? I had an offer for these, and they look quite appealing and a great offer as well. If I pick those up I could then pickup a ModMic to pair with and be under my budget(ok maybe a bit more with shipping :D) Im looking up information for the m50's as we speak and trying to get a better idea what im looking at.

If you can get them for under $100, the M50 are a great set honestly. There is someone selling a pair here in the classifieds section too I believe :)

If you don't go for the M50, the best HEADSET under $100 is the Skullcandy SLYR by a landslide. Otherwise good options are Creative Aurvana Live! or NVX XPT100.

Last edited:
If you can get them for under $100, the M50 are a great set honestly. There is someone selling a pair here in the classifieds section too I believe :)

If you don't go for the M50, the best HEADSET under $100 is the Skullcandy SLYR by a landslide. Otherwise good options are Creative Aurvana Live! or NVX XPT100.

I'd agree... but that may be biased.... hahaha

Ive gotta say TBH ive never really seen the zeal that people bestow upon skullcandies. And I havent used a creative product since SB Live lol

I'd agree... but that may be biased.... hahaha

lol probably

+1 for the SLYR as well.
A bit small for my liking, but I was impressed by the build quality and sound quality of the pair my girlfriend got to go with her recent build.

(I recommended she try them after she said my G930 was too bulky)

Ok so its been a while since i had the chance to sit down to reply to anything, things are looking like im going to pickup the M50. Now my question is what I have selected for a standalone mic, The Modmic, does anyone have any opinions of that? From what little I know and few reviews I have seen it seems to be a great mic for around $50. Though I would prefer if anyone had some hands on, to give me an opinion. Oh and it would be the 4.0 version.

I have owned several Antlion Modmics since the 2.0 were available and I have also tested and reviewed the 4.0 prototype for GT-Devices LLC. I currently use the Modmic 4.0 paired with my DT990 and cannot recommend it enough over any current "headphone mic" on the market.

Just get the muteless version to save a few $ unless you really want that switch on the cord.

modmics are over priced now imo. 50$ for a low quality mic? Thats just absurd to me. "It sounds good!", Im sure of it. The problem is that in most games the compression ratio for the transmitted voice is so high, that it doesnt matter if you are using a 300$ Shure mic or a 5$ clip on zalman mic. And thats what I would recommend. At 50$, the mod mic just doesnt make sense. You might as well get a standalone mic that is going to be superior in every way, or just get something cheaper that will work JUST FINE.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

These work great, sound fine for games.

The ZM-MIC1 has severe limitations with various hardware setups, thus I have not recommended it for quite some time. If it's limitations were not so pronounced in real world use, it would be a quality cheap alternative to the $43 Modmic. With that said, if the Zalman works in your setup, then that is fantastic and I would say stick with it because you can save a nice amount by going that route.
(An example of what I'm saying is that it worked flawlessly on the various Creative cards I tested, but several of the ASUS Xonar cards were another story, especially my normal daily driver. In short in order to hear ANYTHING from the mic, Mic Boost would need to be maxed and the sound quality was then too atrocious to mess with)

If you HAVE desk space for it, and want a good mic, obviously you can look at a USB condensor mic.

Well that's another issue I'm dealing with is not a good amount of desk space, i literally have but a few inches in front of my keyboard for a dedicated mic and that would probably cause trouble. I have mixed feelings about the zalman as it seems some enjoy it but others not so much. Mics and me tend to have a bad relationship especially ones that are attached to headsets. I also prefer not having the extra clutter of a dedicated desk mic. tricky slope to tread either way that I go.

You can get a monitor mounted usb mic for pretty cheap. That's what I use and the work fine for gaming.

Well i have around 20 inches been myself and the monitor would that be worthwhile too do assist that distance

Hes on a budget for under 100$ and you're suggesting 2100$ worth of stuff? How is that any form of relevant?

I was a joke.. However my post was slightly more relevant then your post since mine at least mentions a headset lol

I was a joke.. However my post was slightly more relevant then your post since mine at least mentions a headset lol

considering I sent him a PM offering him my great condition ATH M50 for very cheap, you could consider that an "inside joke". Sorry, I'll inform you next time.... oh wait that would imply you actually respond to messages as well... *shrug*

considering I sent him a PM offering him my great condition ATH M50 for very cheap, you could consider that an "inside joke". Sorry, I'll inform you next time.... oh wait that would imply you actually respond to messages as well... *shrug*

Would seem that someone woke up on the grumpy side of the bed..

Back