• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large SMART values in error rows for Seagate Constellation ES.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also recently purchased a constellation and SMART parameters are not too good.
Code:
                                               Value   Worst   Thre.                            raw value
           1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f     066     066     044     Pre-fail  Always   -    70342312
           191 G-Sense_Error_Rate    0x0032     100     100     000     Old_age   Always   -    960

Value and Worst of Raw_Read_Error (66) are quite close to the threshold (44)
Also G-Sense_Error_Rate (but I use HDD Removable Frames) displays an enough high value (960)

1. If you read the thread, you'll note that the numbers printed by smartctl are probably bogus. Check the values in Windows, or figure out how to get Seagate drives into the smartctl database.
2. 066 and 044 might be close. They might be projected decades apart. Seeing as "Worst" is 66, 44-66 might be the entire possible range, meaning it's as far from being close as possible. Lots of SMART values simply cannot be treated with simple integer arithmetic.

Tangent: There are at least a few threads on WebHostingTalk by people who are angry their server companies charge drive replacement fees after replacing a "bad" drive multiple times. The SMART data in each instance actually said the drives were okay, and replacing them was rather pointless. TL;DR: If you're not absolutely sure what a value in SMART means, and the tool doesn't print a big warning saying "YOUR DRIVE IS FAILING" (the simple "Pre-fail" or "Old_age" column is just listing types - it doesn't count as a warning), then you probably don't need to worry about it.

Last edited:
Hugo: Try using hdsentinel and convert the values as I did in previous posts with the first 4 (from the left) being failures and the last 8 being total. As for G-sense, no clue, though pettyg is likely right that everything is fine. If you really want to know I suggest asking Seagate, but they won't like that you are using a Linux tool. They are anti-Linux.

Back