• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is jonnyguru.com Down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A pump is what, 20W? And the 290 is 250W.

850W I wouldn't call close, especially considering the general trend of power consumption going DOWN on processors and CPUs..

I would call it quite close and here is why.
That pic is taken while running thief benchmark and it is not just a one second peak wattage. account 10-13% conversion loss and I'm sitting at bit under 600W.
nimetön.png

I'm sorry, I know you guys know what you are tallking about but I'm not comfortable with 850W PSU ,adding second pump and another 290.

Geez... 600W actual draw from a 290/83x0, LOL. Nice going AMD. I wouldn't break 375W with a quadt+HT intel.

Sell that power vacuum you call a PC then...but being serious, if you are going CFx, go Intel so you can stretch the legs of the setup properly. AMD CPUs in CFx holds back cards. So not only do you lose something in scaling as its never 2x, you lose more on top of that compared to Intel.

Last edited:
Geez... 600W actual draw from a 290/83x0, LOL. Nice going AMD. I wouldn't break 375W with a quadt+HT intel.

Sell that power vacuum you call a PC then...but being serious, if you are going CFx, go Intel so you can stretch the legs of the setup properly. AMD CPUs in CFx holds back cards. So not only do you lose something in scaling as its never 2x, you lose more on top of that compared to Intel.

I have faith in Mantle :p

LOL, really?

I have a 295x2 and use DX when playing BF4. Otherwise, the memory leaks catches up and hoses things. So, yeah, no faith in Mantle at this time... and thats a AAA title, BF4.

LOL, really?

I have a 295x2 and use DX when playing BF4. Otherwise, the memory leaks catches up and hoses things. So, yeah, no faith in Mantle at this time... and thats a AAA title, BF4.

Yes AAA title published by EA :D Almost everything tied EA has been crap lately. TBH Only game I have liked since Shift2 Unleashed is Titanfall and even that is ruined by the lack of dedicated servers and the horrible lag compensation. I believe BF4 uses very similar compensation which makes it a 5$ game in my eyes.

Mantle is quite young API and I believe it will mature well. DX12 is the only threat to mantle atm. Microsoft is a big player but now that steam is working on free linux based OS around it's plattform I doubt that DX12 will kill mantle as long as AMD invests in linux drivers and support for SteamOS and Steam manages to gain a foothold for it's OS in gaming market.

I'm talking about a AAA title and its Mantle support still sucks. EA has little to do with it outside of coding in the ability to switch to it. Its alll Mantle/drivers that are still borked.

And while it is new, it hasn't gained much ground and where its at, in a AAA title, its not doing well/unusable. I hope the best for it, but after a year and some change... it doesn't look good yet.

TBH my first thought was that you have your whole surge protector with all peripherals plugged into your kill-a-watt lol. Crazy power draw. My OC'd 8320, R9 290 didnt even come close to pulling that much (I only have a 650w bronze PSU)

If the guy that reviews PSU's for JhonnyGuru told me which PSU I need I'd listen ;)

TBH my first thought was that you have your whole surge protector with all peripherals plugged into your kill-a-watt lol. Crazy power draw.
Uhh huh... That is insane...

I would call it quite close and here is why.

And your current PSU is...?

You could be hitting it at its most inefficient spot. It could be 80 Plus Bronze, White, or below the 20% load level where manufacturers sacrifice low level efficiency to get that coveted 80 Plus mark. Who really knows how much power it's really putting out to get that wall reading?

I said it somewhere else recently, but it bears repeating. One of my dedicated crypto mining rigs pulls about 650W from the wall. Three video cards. It's being powered by a Seasonic X-1050, 80 Plus Gold. I have a 1kW Seasonic built Platinum I could put in there, but I haven't. Why? Because the Gold unit is actually within 1% as efficient at the same load level.

The other dedicated mining rig is running an AX1500i. Titanium. That one pulls 700W out of the PSU, currently running five cards. It's about 93.5% efficient at that power level. That's when you start seeing real gains over 80 Plus Gold, because Titanium requires high efficiency over a broader range. It starts at 10% load levels, where everything else starts at 20%. Of course, Titanium costs big bucks right now... we're still talking about years to make up the difference in power cost savings. Especially when both Titanium units on the market are 1500-1600W monsters retailing for over $400 USD each.

Long story short, Gold or Platinum really doesn't matter that much right now. It's really a toss-up when it comes to purchase price vs. power bill cost savings and build quality, as long as you're looking at a half decent OEM to begin with.

And your current PSU is...?

You could be hitting it at its most inefficient spot. It could be 80 Plus Bronze, White, or below the 20% load level where manufacturers sacrifice low level efficiency to get that coveted 80 Plus mark. Who really knows how much power it's really putting out to get that wall reading?

I said it somewhere else recently, but it bears repeating. One of my dedicated crypto mining rigs pulls about 650W from the wall. Three video cards. It's being powered by a Seasonic X-1050, 80 Plus Gold. I have a 1kW Seasonic built Platinum I could put in there, but I haven't. Why? Because the Gold unit is actually within 1% as efficient at the same load level.

The other dedicated mining rig is running an AX1500i. Titanium. That one pulls 700W out of the PSU, currently running five cards. It's about 93.5% efficient at that power level. That's when you start seeing real gains over 80 Plus Gold, because Titanium requires high efficiency over a broader range. It starts at 10% load levels, where everything else starts at 20%. Of course, Titanium costs big bucks right now... we're still talking about years to make up the difference in power cost savings. Especially when both Titanium units on the market are 1500-1600W monsters retailing for over $400 USD each.

Long story short, Gold or Platinum really doesn't matter that much right now. It's really a toss-up when it comes to purchase price vs. power bill cost savings and build quality, as long as you're looking at a half decent OEM to begin with.

Corsair CX750M. I believe it's bronze rated, Has a crappy fan and coil whine :D

It should be well within bronze rating at typical loads.
I have other hardware that most people dont use in their systems like Intel 910 PCIe SSD and studio grade microphone that pulls power from USB. 2 fan controllers and couple of small displays.
I won't arque, it could be that the meter is broken too or maybe the corsair PSU is a fluke but the extreme systems PSU calculator is pretty close.

luke said>>>>>>>>> If the guy that reviews PSU's for JhonnyGuru told me which PSU I need I'd listen .
this is exactly what I do, and I buy the review samples from him , (when he'll take a money order).

I still see no use of a 1K unit for you.
I fold with 2 7970's @1050-1080, no cpu folding and all i see is 430-460 watts from the wall and when i game I see in the 300's.
with the size of the 1K units it makes it a bit tough to fit everything in the case and route the cables, I think the 850 G2 is right for you, that's what I use in the rig now.
I have run it on a very cheap 550, good 600 and fair 750 and they all mushed it well.

Back