• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reset cmos everytime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I own an extreme 9 and I really do like the board. There are some features in the BIOS of the Sabertooth that I wish ASRock incorporated. Not to steer you in any direction there are good and bads with both. I've read nightmares about ASUS customer service if you don't own a CHV board. I'm sure those are isolated stories, but you never really know. I have had to submit 2 RMA's for my EXT9 but only one of those was because the board has issues. Customer service with ASRock has been good. I would like a little more communication from them, but in the end so long as I get my replacement in a timely manner I'm happy.

I guess in the end your comparing 2 top products in their field. I think you'd be happy with either one.

M5A99FX Pro R2.0...only if you run as AMD designed to run in my mind...

Taipei, Taiwan (2 September, 2013) — ASUS today announced that its existing 990FX-based motherboards all support the new flagship AMD FX-9000 Series processors at memory speeds up to 2400MHz, without the need for a BIOS update.

The ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboards all feature AM3+ Socket with full support for AMD’s extreme-performance FX-9370 and FX-9590 processors. With eight-cores and unlocked clock speeds up to 5GHz, the FX-9000 Series requires incredible amounts of power and generates considerable heat — AMD recommends a 1200W power supply and liquid processor cooling.

Well if you are going to go by what AMD says; there are a number of specs like power supply and cooling which have not been met by the OP.

RGone...ster.

EDIT:
List looks close except for EXT6, 970Performance, M5A99FX Pro R2.0. Those three might be borderline unless run just as AMD designed the processors to be utilized.

Note: all the Gigabyte boards should be in Ver 3.0 for UD5 and UD7 and the 970 UD3 in Rev 4.0 which are the latest Revisions.

The list of motherboards, compatible with the AMD FX-9590 microprocessor

END EDIT.

Last edited:
Just a word from the peanut gallery. I tried to run my 9370 in my M5A pro and quickly decided not to. It was on a whim in the first place, just wanted to see how it would react and personally I wouldn't get anything shy of a solid 8 phase board for the 9590. It would just be another headache you don't need.

RGone...ster.

I was reading about it (probably the same place) when the 140 W question arose. Sabertooth confirmed it to run the 9590.

AMD recommends a 1200W power supply and liquid processor cooling

At the Official GIGABYTE Forum, everyone was laughing about the overkill.
I should just put it up at EBay.LOL The wheels came off the cart when I tried to install a Antec KUHLER H2O. It was so difficult to screw down the CPU Block that's when I must have broke something. Nothing worked after that. I'd have to get a full size case to be able to use a Cooler Master Nepton, or such. With the Noctua I turned my top fans in and it made a significant drop.

Johan45. Still waiting for my head to stop spinning. Thought of selling it on EBay but wouldn't gain anything, at least with the 9370. 220w, also.
Leaning towards the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 right now and see if I can keep the heat down.

You people have helped a lot, thanks. Learning a lot, too.

The Sabertooth is a good solid board but personally I'd wait till the board comes back from Giga and see how it works out. If you can put that CPU in and it runs fine I'd leave it at that. The UD5 should be able to handle the 9590 without issue IMO and take the money you were going to spend and upgrade your case or cooling.

You missed my post about that. Giga said it was damaged/unrepairable and voided the warranty. That's why I was whining about the water cooler.

Ah, OK I did miss that. Bummer.
OK then...... Yeah the Sabertooth R2.0 is a great board , I have one of them too.

I have a rubber bumper between the back of the mobo and the mobo tray just to absorb too much pressure pressing down on the mobo when working on the cpu or installing ram. Saved my butt a bunch of times. Presssing down on the cpu area used to break or hurt a trace heading out to the ram from the cpu socket.

Part of the problem with these AiO coolers is they often have a very mickey-mouseish hold down bracket. Over time some of the bigger names in the industry have made strides in their hold down brackets but it is always a job needing great patience in mounting some water blocks.

Don't really know what to say. A Kuhler 920 H20 is a pretty good cooler. Likely better than the D-14.

I guess I still say the FX-9590 used as designed will do very well on the Sabertooth R2.0. It is when you start dorking with settings to the cpu that the wheels can come off the buggy. MOST changes you make to the cpu in bios will have the cpu running with ALL the cores enabled. Not just a few. AMD specs the 5.0Ghz to occur across only 1/2 the cores and never all 8 cores as happens when we change settings in bios to do overclockiing.
RGone...ster.

My cpu use.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll have more than a couple questions when I get it together. I think your right about the traces. What I like about the D-14 is it how easy it is to install. Well, off to NewEgg. Is Gigabyte going to charge me to ship the board back? Is it worth it, or just a wall decoration?

If the board does not work...it ain't much good. So if you have to pay to get it returned...don't need it is how I see it. No I don't know how they work on return of non-repairables.
RGone...ster.

Back