• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wife's Going to Grad School...another which one thread :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

My wife starts grad school next week and she's looking for a laptop to use as her school laptop for the next couple years. I haven't bought a new laptop in a few years and the market has gotten a little weird so I am looking for advice.

She does not get excited about technology at all, this will truly be a web, office, email machine. The things I think she will notice will be quality keyboard/palm deflection, not a horrendous screen, battery life, portability, and for performance as long as it doesn't fall down on youtube HD it will probably be enough. Looking at max $500 she'd be much happier spending less. I think a 13" 14" would be ideal, I have a 15.4" 7lbs work laptop and I hate it.

My problem is the convertable/chromebook market has really saturated the smaller laptop market. I know she could care less if it has touch screen and wouldn't pay for it. I think a Baytrail would probably be enough horsepower but it's hard for me to get over the "I'm buying a Celeron?" feel in my gut. Any suggestions?

I am looing at a Lenovo Z40 with i3-4030U, GeForce GT820M, 14" FHD for $500. It's far more power than she needs and I'd prefer intel HD over the Gefore for better battery, but that's a slamming deal that ends today. But I also feel I just spec'd out a laptop for myself more than for her....so can anyone come up with another suggestion?:confused:

if the most demanding thing she is doing is watching youtube vids then the Lenovo is not bad at all

If you have access to the Classifieds here there's a nice Lenovo in there for $500.

I was in the market for a new tablet/netbook/laptop. I already have a dual core Dell with middle of the road performance. The problem is even with an extended battery pack, it only gets about 2 hours of use. I own a LG G Flex phone, so portability is covered, but it doesn't address the need for Office or being able to type papers with any sort of productivity. I used to have a 10" netbook, but they keyboard was also entirely too small for productivity.

Obviously I had a little money to burn because, I don't really NEED something in between, but after looking at a lot of options of Android based Samsung Tablets, convertible laptops, netbooks, and Windows 8.1 tablets. I settled on the Yoga 2. It has a decent quad core Atom processor at 1.33GHz and a 32GB SD with a external SD Card slot. Although I use Windows 7 on my main machine and my laptop, and Android on my phone, I find that Windows 8.1 on the tablet is not that bad. The keyboard is very usable and windows does a good job of moving windows around so that your not blocking what you do with the on-screen keyboard.

The verdict is out, but you might want to look at the offerings of Windows based Tablets. They are very affordable and if you can get a good open box deal or sale, it makes a light, long lasting college alternative. They tuck very nicely into a backpack or briefcase and IF it gets stolen, your not out a 500+ laptop.

If you can afford it, the Surface Pro 3 is excellent for school. Apart from the extremely useful OneNote/Stylus writing package, it is no slouch when it comes to running demanding programs. I use Mathematica, Lightroom, VS and plan on installing LabView. I have the i5/256Gb config. The screen is also amazing.

Back