• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel® Compute Stick -- Plug and Play Just Got Even Simpler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Didn't know where to put this.....:shrug:

intel.web.576.324.png

Compute when, where, and how you want

The Intel® Compute Stick is a new generation compute-on-a-stick device that’s ready-to-go out-of–the-box and offers the performance, quality, and value you expect from Intel. Pre-installed with Windows 8.1* or Linux, get a complete experience on an ultra-small, power-efficient device that is just four inches long, yet packs the power and reliability of a quad-core Intel® Atom™ processor, with built-in wireless connectivity, on-board storage, and a micro SD card slot for additional storage. It’s everything you love about your desktop computer in a device that fits in the palm of your hand.

Intel® Compute Stick

I had read this too and find it very interesting. I spend a bit of time in hotels. Most hotel rooms have TVs these days that have additional ports, USB, HDMI, and such and my initial impression is that rather than carry a netbook or laptop I could literally put this in my valise and rock my world. Accessories like a mini-mouse/KB are necessary but hardly a deal breaker. My mussette would probably fit it all and leave room for a toothbrush, etc.

I got curious, so I found a ZDNet article with actual specs. 2GB ram, 32GB storage for the $149 Windows version, 1GB ram, 8gb storage for the $89 Linux version, both based on the Atom Z3735F, and "future iterations of the Compute Stick will use newer processors, including Broadwell Core M CPUs."

Might be ok for mild web browsing. Has Intel gotten the Atom to the point where it can play HD video off integrated graphics? I haven't checked in years, I just remember my netbook having trouble with anything above lightly compressed SD video.

May not be able to go "hands on" with a compute stick like with a raspberry pi, but looks to have sufficient built-in capability for on-the-go computing.

Last edited:
The intel and the hp are cute but slow and lacking. I would suggest a Fitlet-I. It has power and has the right form factor for mounting behind your tv or wherever. For basic bs browsing email etc, even video playback I'd just get a quad core android stick. I had a great link for some but after rooting my phone I lost some links. You can get android dongles with awesome connectivity, little to no configuration, better hardware, w/wireless oob for less than the hp.

I plan to pick one up once I see that it doesn't have any issues streaming 1080p and netflix.

edit:

anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9167/intel-compute-stick-review

gizmodo review:
http://gizmodo.com/intel-compute-stick-review-don-t-buy-it-1699377058

After reading the gizmodo review for the HP Stream, I think I would spend the extra $30
http://gizmodo.com/hp-stream-mini-review-a-deceptively-capable-tiny-deskt-1692158242

I sincerely think expectations were too high for those. For 100 bucks, you shouldn't expect lag free anything really. Feels like the intention of item is to be a website surfing device more than a "computer".

To be fair, it's $150, I realize we're splitting hairs but that's 50% more than $100

for htpc business id rather have a firetv stick. $40 does anything and everything a htpc needs to do.

Intel Compute Stick roadmap

Fyi for those that liked the concept but thought it lacked chops...

compute-stick-roadmap-680x383.jpg

Cedar City (Core M Compute Stick in 2015)

Later this year Intel will launch the first Compute Stick with an Intel Core M processor. We knew it was coming, but what we didn’t know until now is that the next-gen Compute Stick, code-named “Cedar City” will have some other big improvements as well. It features:

*Intel Core M processor
*4GB of RAM
*64GB of SATA storage
*USB 3.0
*802.11ac WiFi
*Support for 4K displays
*MHL

The MHL feature means the Cedar City model will be able to draw power from the HDMI port on TVs that support MHL. You won’t have to use a micro USB cable to power the stick.

Intel only plans to offer a Windows version of the Cedar City Compute Stick, but I suspect you’ll be able to install Ubuntu or other GNU/Linux operating systems on your own.

Fall City 2 (Intel Atom Broxton Compute Stick in 2016)

In early 2016, Intel will launch “Fall City 2″ models, which replace the current Compute Stick models (which are, not surprisingly, code-named Falls City).

These sticks will feature Intel Atom chips based on the upcoming “Broxton” architecture. In other words, don’t hold your breath waiting for an Intel Compute Stick with a Cherry Trail chip. It’s not coming. Instead Intel is skipping Cherry Trail and designing its next-gen Compute Sticks on the CPUs that will launch after Cherry Trail.

That doesn’t mean we won’t see Cherry Trail-powered PC Sticks. There’s nothing stopping other computer makers from building them. But they don’t seem to be part of Intel’s roadmap.

Falls City 2 should offer better performance than today’s Compute Sticks thanks to their next-gen processors. They’ll also feature USB 3.0 ports for faster data transfers, MHL support for connecting to a display without a separate power cable, and these models will support 4K displays thanks to improved graphics.

Intel will offer Linux and Windows versions of the Falls City 2 sticks. The Linux model still has just 1GB of RAM and 8GB of eMMC storage, but the Windows model will ship with 2GB of RAM and 64GB of eMMC storage.

Source

I was planing on getting one of of these stick pc's, but so far, i havnt. My friend bought one, and seems to work just fine, but I do see speeds issues. Its fine for streaming TV which is what he does mainly.

Honestly, after thinking about it, with a smart tv and so on, i have no idea what i would use it for. The next versions seems like it could be more useful :)

Back