• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 450w enough to power my system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

So, i just ordered the ncase m1 the other day and im looking to cram the following components in it.

4790k slight oc maybe 4.6ghz
gtx 780ti 100mhz oc
asus maximus vi impact
16 gb of 2666mhz
3 ssd's
4 fans probably going with all noctua

Will the Silverstone 450w gold sfx run all of this under heavy gaming loads? I have read a lot of people runninng this i just dont want to overload the psu and have it fail taking components with it.

Note that the PSU is only rated for 432W of 12V load.

You'll be cutting it close, your system will put you around 400-410W at load. Assuming ~130W for the CPU at 4.6GHz/1.35V.

Stock, yep. Overclocks... that will be close, but likely yes. Perhaps get a Kill A Watt meter and see what your actual loads are... ;)

It will work. The 120 rail is going to ripple a bit more but that power supply can handle it.

If you were to choose a 500-550 watt psu, it would end up running cooler which means quieter.

It may have a bit more ripple in it, surely, but, why would that matter to most people? It will be in spec and won't affect anything. While it does go up closer to load, any solid PSU, like this, it will be well in spec. ;)

I'm thinking that the power hungry 780ti will be my biggest concern and with newer power efficient gpu's out it should last another upgrade. I have been reading all the forums concerning the m1 case and the sfx power supplies. I have seen builds with a 290x overclocked so I figured I would be safe but it's better to ask experts.

PB,

After spending a decent dollar for a nice system, why question your marginable power supply?
You're constricting your new system to what IT can do rather than what you MAY want to do later.
Buy a new, bigger power supply that will cover any possibility, they aren't that expensive.

This is also a good point ^^. I am never a fan of overbuying, but a quality 550W PSU will run 99% of single GPU systems overclocked.

I build with fudge factors included which means a bit of overkill on everything and have never regretted it. And have built in the past without fudge factors and always regretted it.

Joe,

I don't like to overbuy either but I've been through scenarios like "I'd like to try overclocking my GPU a little more or my CPU a little more. Do I have enough?"
It never fails! Never again, I just "Go for it" and leave any doubt with my credit card!! You can always take a quality power supply with you for another build.

I build with fudge factors included which means a bit of overkill on everything and have never regretted it. And have built in the past without fudge factors and always regretted it.

Joe,

I don't like to overbuy either but I've been through scenarios like "I'd like to try overclocking my GPU a little more or my CPU a little more. Do I have enough?"
It never fails! Never again, I just "Go for it" and leave any doubt with my credit card!! You can always take a quality power supply with you for another build.
A 550W PSU has plenty of fudge factor* and should leave the question 'do I have enough' in the recesses of your brain. :)

*Now, if you were on the benching team and were into modifying BIOS' and going past conventional limits, then getting more could never hurt. But if you work within the confines of the built in protections, there is little reason to go over a quality 550W PSU unless you plan to rock multiple GPUs.

LIke I said, I was silly enough (as in most would look at me in horror) to rock an overclocked hex core and a GTX 690 on a 550W PSU and it the only thing it managed to do was turn its fan on in response. Kill A Watt was showing 500-550W at the wall with everything overclocked. :)

The mighty GTX 980 is a 165W card. Its power limits allow it to hit 190W. CPUs are 84W or 125W. Round that up to say 110W and 150W. Give the board/fans/pumps etc another 100W and do the math (~420W). ANd that value is with running those things all at 100% (not a typical gaming load).

A 550W PSU has plenty of fudge factor* and should leave the question 'do I have enough' in the recesses of your brain. :)

*Now, if you were on the benching team and were into modifying BIOS' and going past conventional limits, then getting more could never hurt. But if you work within the confines of the built in protections, there is little reason to go over a quality 550W PSU unless you plan to rock multiple GPUs.

LIke I said, I was silly enough (as in most would look at me in horror) to rock an overclocked hex core and a GTX 690 on a 550W PSU and it the only thing it managed to do was turn its fan on in response. Kill A Watt was showing 500-550W at the wall with everything overclocked. :)

The mighty GTX 980 is a 165W card. Its power limits allow it to hit 190W. CPUs are 84W or 125W. Round that up to say 110W and 150W. Give the board/fans/pumps etc another 100W and do the math (~420W). ANd that value is with running those things all at 100% (not a typical gaming load).

Heh, you were silly enough to pull 900W from a SuperNova G2 750W ;)

LOL, yes I was... Now I just run the 295x2 at stock... the hex Intel CPU 4.5Ghz. :)

That way I only hit around ~700W at the wall (so around 630W actual). The G2 laughs in my face at that. :rofl:

LOL, yes I was... Now I just run the 295x2 at stock... the hex Intel CPU 4.5Ghz. :)

That way I only hit around ~700W at the wall (so around 630W actual). The G2 laughs in my face at that. :rofl:

The G2 laughed in your face at 900W also :p

I won't forget that Seasonic 750W you used at Torin's on LN. That fan barely moved, I could count the blades on it!

An interesting ball o' worms in this is both that all system components are getting more power efficient which implies only needing x-smaller power supplies (disregarding OC'ng) but in turn the tendency of having more efficiency leads to adding more components to 'fill up the slots', so to speak. And more power requirements. Yeah, I know, it's marginal, but still worth mentioning.

Thank you everyone for your input I have decided on the silverstone 600w sfx.

update edit
600w.PNG

Last edited:
Back