• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My amazing idea for extreme cooling....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
So before I explain what my idea is, I will say this...
Have you ever had an absolutely amazing idea only to find out (right before i build the prototype) that a company has actually been working on a product that is the same as my idea for the past 8 years??!?!? and are about to release it!!!
This may sound fishy... but I assure you with 110% honesty that I have never even heard of this company nor have I ever seen talk of this product ...ever!
(Also the article I found talking about this did not tell what the actual liquid was within the unit and of course I know what the liquid is that I was planning to use in my design....)
If you think I have any luck with producing my idea with another company putting one out, tell me what you think.
Without further wait, here is my idea...

My idea was for a heatsink for your cpu, the heatsink would house a small container over the plate that touches the cpu and it is filled with a chemical called chloroethane (which boils at 12.3 degrees celsius) the container tapers to a small heatpipe that then curves off to the side and goes in a spiral coil that is covered with aluminum fins (like your typical heatsink) at the bottom of the spiral it emptys back into the main container holding the majority of the chlorothane. Since evaporation is the most effective manner of dissipating heat, the chemical would boil with very low amounts of heat applied to it (it would actually boil holding it in the palm of your hand) the evaporation removes the heat from the cpu in a constant cycle gets up into the heat pipe and condenses which then dumps all the heat, the liquid is cooled as it flows down the spiral coil while being further cooled by the fans and the remainder of the latent heat is absorbed and dissipated through the aluminum fins.

Well...there it is!

At 12.3°C / 54°F your ambient temperature would have to be below that to condense back into liquid to be able to work. You need some active cooling in addition to it for it to work outside winter / arctic zones.

At 12.3°C / 54°F your ambient temperature would have to be below that to condense back into liquid to be able to work. You need some active cooling in addition to it for it to work outside winter / arctic zones.
+1

And that is why they don't use that product inside of heatpipes and vapor chambers. ;)

The coolant turns into a liquid at a much higher temperature...again, that is how heatpipes and vapor chambers work.

Most heatpipes are filled with a pretty common substance, dihydrogen monoxide. A slight vacuum (usually) aids in lowering of evap temp.

*EDIT*

You found exactly what I was thinking of! You already linked what I couldn't remember the name of.

Last edited:
Back