• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avira AntiVir 14 Free Download is Missing Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I have downloaded Avira 3 times, twice from filehippo & once from Avira. When starting the install it looks like it is unzipping and then a message says not all the file were there, download again. I removed my old Avira install because it wouldn't update anymore. This is a work computer that several people with poor internet safety have infected more than once.

Do you think I have another infection & it is preventing a new install? This is an old HP P4 running XP SP3.

First question I have: Have you tried other anti-virus software (AVG, Avast!, etc)
Second question: What is the exact error message you are getting?

I would say this screams corrupt download file, but if you've downloaded from two sources...that is unlikely. When you redownloaded are you sure you a) overlaid the old file or b) chose a new file location?

I ran a fresh install of malwarebytes and kaspersky's TDSSkiller. I haven't tried a different AV, just uninstalled one that wouldn't update, and I'm trying to install the same thing again. Not sure they infected the PC, the AV just stopped updating while I was on vacation.

I think the message is "some files are missing or corrupt. Please download again and install."

I deleted each download before downloading another.

I downloaded crystakdiskmark.zip to check the HDD smart and got a download corrupt trying to extract it. Now I'm starting to think that the HDD is beginning to fail. :confused:

Run scandisk with the "check for bad sectors" option on. It should force the drive to mark sectors as bad so they won't be used again, if it is in fact failing.

Thanks petteyg, I'll try that Monday.

Edit: I ran chkdsk & it didn't find anything. I kept the last avira download on the hdd & added a .old extension. Then downloaded again & it seemed to install, but I got a dll crash on startup.
I was also able to d/l HDTune, run its disk check & look at SMART info - everything looks fine. :confused:

Last edited:
I emailed our IT today & requested a new PC. It's ridiculous that we still have this 2003 vintage PC running software that's mission critical to the office park where I work. Hopefully they'll just send me a "new" one (C2D Win7 Pro is new for our IT - lol)

I still need to work on getting rid of the two or three Win2000 PC's we have floating around too.

also open some command prompt admin action to check the windows install files. could be left over hijacked critical files causing install fails.

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Back