• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWB help ASUS A8N32 SLI Dellluuuxe and 7900 GTX/ AMD fx60 a good PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IloveTHISlife

Aloha all,

I have been a wanabee builder for some time...not enough time to really get into building PC's but just enough to have a custom machine. About the extent of my PC knowledge...

anway, I am going to buy a new power supply, I have crappy CX 500 that I believe is hindering my ancient beast. It was a replacement for the 450 that burnt out, but that was a higher quality psu with no issues performance wise, until it died after years of abuse. So I am on the hunt...

My setup is this:

-AMD Athalon FX 60
-A8n32 SLI
-4gb OCZ RAM
-2 PCI-E 7900 GTX 512mb graphics cards
-CX 500
-Win 7

I don't know a lot about PSU's, and I see the ""SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD""
on new egg for $100. It this a good fit for my machine?

I googled this combo and can not find anything MODERN about a good PSU for what I have.

TIA

-OC

How is it hindering your ancient beast? I dont see a reason to switch off the CX500 in the first place with that setup. The CX500 isn't great, but it will put out its rated power within spec.

I'd save that $100 and put it towards a new PC.

EDIT: Your CPU is 110W stock, that GPU is 90W stock. Give 100W for the rest (mobo/ram/fans/etc), and you can see that the CX500 shouldn't flinch. Even overclocking both CPU and GPU it would be fine...

Again, save that money and build something new.

Last edited:
oi, I knew someone would say that LOL. I love my old setup! I don't really need a new PC, I mean it's like a classic car; runs all my old games, operates superbly for graphics I do...

You think it is sufficient enough, perhaps I will reconsider. I know a lot has changed since 2006, but I am caveman...living in 2006...lol

You guys know about the memory hole? I enabled it, now win 7 uses 3.5 gb of the ram (instead of the 2.5), but not all 4gb of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it works for you.. enjoy! But by no means do I think you need another PSU. Save that money.

Memory hole... that takes me back, sure. Considering we are rocking 64bit OS's and way more ram these days its not really an issue though. :)

You never did mention how you think its 'hindering your ancient beast' though...

If it works for you.. enjoy! But by no means do I think you need another PSU. Save that money.

Memory hole... that takes me back, sure. Considering we are rocking 64bit OS's and way more ram these days its not really an issue though. :)

You never did mention how you think its 'hindering your ancient beast' though...

It's running slower then it did before I moved last year. I was deployed, then came home, unpacked in the new place and it is sluggish to start up (like windows just started for the first time, every time...) and slow to turn off. Everything acts like I am on an Atarti ST, 20 seconds or so for everything. Looked for malware and such with AVG, Malwarebytes, MS removal tool etc. Nothing on the drive virus wise or malware. Only thing that changed was that power supply. Win 7 was on and operational etc way before the move. I did replace the mobo as I said above, but with the exact same one, and it has not had any issues. I thought I should just use a new HDD and install a fresh plat of Win 7 (64) at this point, but I couldn't get it to install for some reason on the new HDD.

Losing faith in my building skills/troubleshooting. I googled the hell out of possible problems, but I don't have any that I can find. The mem hole thing was done before on the old board, never had a problem.

My working HDD has win 7 64 as well btw, which is what I am using.

Thank god I have this MSI gs70 to search with ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PSU has nothing to do with that. It works or it doesn't. It will not slow your system down. :)

Not sure what is going on or why it wouldn't install without more details.

I think its really time to spend some coin on a new rig. You would be amazed how much faster things are, especially with an SSD. You can keep the PSU and case and build from there...

PSU has nothing to do with that. It works or it doesn't. It will not slow your system down. :)

Not sure what is going on or why it wouldn't install without more details.

I think its really time to spend some coin on a new rig. You would be amazed how much faster things are, especially with an SSD. You can keep the PSU and case and build from there...

After dropping $1800 on this MSI gs70 last year, i doubt the wife will let me... ;(

I'm surprised that a8n is still working, it remember a lot of failures with that board littering the posts here when it was new.

as for the memory thing, did you install a 32 bit or 64 bit version of windows 7?

64. still having slow issues. was not this way when i was in Hawaii. don't have money to just drop on another system.

I am going to say that after being deployed and coming home...the memory of how things were especially about perceived speed are a little off in remembering. You are now comparing an old combination with a newer high dollar laptop and the difference is great. There is where the problem comes in and it is thinking your old beast was faster when it now seems slow against newer tech.

I have one setup that I don't use often but when I do...crap it seems slow against my more modern stuff.
RGone...

Your issues aren't related to the power supply.

It's just the sheer age of the system.

That one is probably from circa 2005-2007, so it's going to seem slow compared to today's PC's. It was probably slow 4-5 years ago actually, or at least that was when one would really start to notice the differences compared to socket AM2+ or AM3 on the AMD side.

I own a socket 939 computer myself.
Board: DFI SLI-DR Expert
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4800+ dual core (the 4800+ is the FX-60's multiplier-locked brother basically)
Memory: 2x1GB DDR-400
GPU: GTX260 usually
PSU: Corsair HX520

For most tasks, it's really slow. Just browsing the web makes it slow down, even with the CPU overclocked to 2.9-3GHz. I keep it on hand for a backup PC, in case my main one breaks down (and to have fun overclocking on it ;)).

Frankly, you're maxed out. The CPU is the fastest one they made, and you've got 4GB of memory (which is the board's maximum). About the only upgrade you could do to that system would be to buy faster RAM if your current RAM is something slower than DDR-400 (DDR-400 is the highest rated speed for that board, unless you overclock it).

You are going to have to upgrade to a faster PC at some point. Until then, there probably isn't much you can do to improve the speed of your current one.

Have you run Disk Cleanup to search for junk files cluttering up the drive? Or have you analyzed your disk with Disk Defragmenter?

Last edited:
Hey bro..I love the classics too..im new here and just posted about the same mobo. i see you have the illusive fx60. you cant find one for less than 100 bones anywhere. i got lucky and found my opty 180 which is first to see in your rear veiw mirror botha. it took me a while to even break away from the rock solid 478 pentiums. truth is, as the internet gets more complex with advertizing and pop ups, these old tanks start becoming obsolete. especially 32 bit os. but the 939 is not dead yet by a long shot. people who have spent money on cool ddr1 ram love the 939 as it is the only dual core to use ddr1.

Back