• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Galax GTX 970 HOF Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Ladies and gentlemen, today I get to present to you an offering from the Galax camp! We all read the GTX 980 SOC reviewed I published a couple weeks ago and know it was a beast. We also mentioned on the front page the release of Galax's famed Hall of Fame (HOF) version of the GTX 970 and GTX 980. Now, we have the Galax GTX 970 HOF in our hands for review. If it is anything like their 780Ti HOF I reviewed a while back, you all are in for a treat as Galax really does a number on improving NVIDIA's reference design both on the PCB, and on the cooling. Let's check it out, shall we?

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time

looks to have potential to be one of the top 970's

It really is amazing they went out of their way on a second tier card.

:thup: for the guys over at Galaxy

It really is a beast, and would only get better under cold and with a modded bios (im keeping my eyes peeled). Out of the box though, stock voltage and 1585 MHz was pretty impressive!

I also have the voltage tool that works for this card, so if anyone needs it, please PM me. :)

Great review Ed, now we just need for DiamondCooling to bring out a waterblock, and not be out of stock forever. I could really consider 2 of these badboys.

Hi guys I'm new here, I like what I see on this gtx 970 HOF but at $479 that is really step. I am wondering about the other Galax card GTX 970 SOC (3 fans like hof) priced at $379, I have been going around the internet for review/benchmarks and found none. Does anyone have bought this card. How is it? I am in the market for another gtx 970 . I currently have strix 970 on my other computer.

I reviewed the 908 SOC with I believe the same cooler on it. It performed quite well while still being quiet with the fan on auto. There is no reason to shy away from it that I can tell.

voltage scaling

thx for your review
would you care to talk about more detail about the voltage scaling of GTX 970 HOF?
From what you said, is that mean GTX 970 HOF have a voltage limit which the user cannot adjust the voltage to be higher than the stock voltage or can only add a pittance of voltage?

gtx 970 hof help

hello Eartdog . I managed to hit the 12303 points in basic firestrike with a score of 14685 in the graphics score with my 970 HOF . without passing the 40 degrees. used the afterburner with core voltage in 37. you think I can give some indications to climb some more.

thx for your review
would you care to talk about more detail about the voltage scaling of GTX 970 HOF?
From what you said, is that mean GTX 970 HOF have a voltage limit which the user cannot adjust the voltage to be higher than the stock voltage or can only add a pittance of voltage?
Sorrry I missed this post... Like all NVIDIA GPUs, yes, there is a limit on the voltage you can add with certain software.

hello Eartdog . I managed to hit the 12303 points in basic firestrike with a score of 14685 in the graphics score with my 970 HOF . without passing the 40 degrees. used the afterburner with core voltage in 37. you think I can give some indications to climb some more.
Go for it... not knowing what clocks you are at. Temps are ok! Every card is different as far as what clocks it can reach. YOu can try, and when it fails, roll back!

1600 core clock 40104 memory clock . voltage 1212mv . with 37 core voltage power limit 116 core clock + 170 memory clock +600 . and gpu bios original. with a bios mode could improve anything? is that when I put +180 core clock firestrike the test continues but my settings back to original .

If you hit the button on it, that should disable any OCP/OVP and may let you go higher.

But 1600 Mhz core clock is solid (not sure what you meant to type with the memory, LOL!).

Not sure what you mean on the last sentence either. Are you saying it fails in firestrike and the driver resets and clocks go back to stock??

google translate lol .. I'm Portuguese . I am not good at speaking English. I was giving the afterburner readings. the memory on the GPU - z brand 2053mhz . with firestrike . what happens is that if I try to put 1610mhz in gpu clock . half of the first test . my settings valtam to the default settings. but the test continues normally. and does not give any error . and validates the score but gives a normal score for standard hof . will be a bug? the nvidia driver is 350.12 .

OK. I see that the ceiling is the 1600mhz . with 1600mhz runs completely without error. 1610mhz will test , but with the lowest memory. and see if the same thing happens . I thought it did not go up because of not having enough voltage . thank you for your help. is the first GPU to test some kind of overclocking.

hello Earthdog, I've recently bought this card and what I got was with elpida memory but it can go 8Ghz stable but couldn't overclock even with a tiny +35MHz core overclock, it starts artifacting and crashing. It has 79.6% ASIC. Can I ask for the voltage tool you have to see if I can push this card with more voltage?

hello Earthdog, I've recently bought this card and what I got was with elpida memory but it can go 8Ghz stable but couldn't overclock even with a tiny +35MHz core overclock, it starts artifacting and crashing. It has 79.6% ASIC. Can I ask for the voltage tool you have to see if I can push this card with more voltage?

I get those levels without additional tools. only with afterbuerner.
but I'd like to try with a little voltage. xD. then tell here what improved.

let me get to a pc and I can send it... pm me your email.

Also, are you using the button when o erclocking? I'd be shocked if that was the limit of the core. What does it do with the memory at stock?

Back