• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 keeps trying to boot from wrong drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobjackson

Registered
Hi everyone,

I somewhat recently finished a new build using 8.1. At first the boot partition ended up on a different harddrive from the OS. So I unplugged all but the 120gb SSD I'm using for the OS and re-installed Windows. The OS and boot partition are in the right spot now. BUT, now the PC always tries to boot from the DVD drive (which was used to install Windows). I have the OS SSD, another SSD, and about 4 large HDs. Every time I turn on the PC it goes straight to ASUS's BIOS (X99 Deluxe mobo), and the only drive that shows up in the boot priority list is the DVD drive. I have to click the "boot options" (or something like that) button below the list, and then it shows all of the harddrives and disc drives. From there I can manually click on the 850 Pro SSD and the PC boots like normal.

Shortly after installing the OS, I think I once used ASUS's program that allows you to manually reboot straight into the BIOS to change settings. I was under the impression that this was a one time deal for each time I chose to use it, because I don't see any option in any ASUS programs to choose boot options.

If anyone has any ideas about what I can do to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. If my only option is to re-install Windows again, then screw it. I'm not doing that again.

In your bios bios, you should have an option to set the boot order. Set the boot order to choose your os drive instead of the cd/dvd drive. Press F10 to save it, reboot and you should be good to go.

In the bios under boot priority it only lists the DVD drive. Clicking "switch all" only shows the same single DVD drive too. Its only when I click on "boot menu F8" that I can see all my drives. But as soon as I click the correct SSD, Windows starts to boot and I have no options to save anything.

Also, under the advanced mode, when I scroll down to boot option #1 and #2, it only shows the DVD drive and one other random harddrive thats installed.

Also,

In the boot option priorities in advanced mode, I tried disabling boot option #1 because it only showed the DVD drive as an option. Then in harddrive BBS priorities! I disabled all the drives except the SSD with the OS, which was in slot #1. But when I hit F10, it says no boot options have been changed. I then tried clicking on the SSD under boot override, which booted Windows fine, but after restarting the PC I was back to square one.

At last!

I probably should have tried all this before asking, but I don't think the "steps" I took are normal.

After disabling different drives in the advanced boot priority list, BBS priority lists, and clicking on boot override a couple times, the PC now boots normally. I don't understand why, but each time it failed to boot automatically, I would go back to the advanced boot menu, and the would be more drives showing up each time. Eventually the OS SSD showed up under boot option #2, so I just disable boot option 1 and it worked.

Thank you mimart7 for offering advice though.

Back