• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Matrix vs Gigabyte G1 Windforce (x3) - GTX 980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raskolnikov

Registered
Is it me or there's very few reviews of the former? I'm trying to compare both cards.

Only comparative review I could find was the one of Hardware Canucks, where the Matrix only emits 50°C at full load, while it is 68°C for the Gigabyte.

IMHO i have always leaned towards Asus Cards. i know a lot complain about customer service but i have used them since the slot 1 days and never had to call CUSTOMER SERVICE. the one time i gave gigabyte a chance (GTX 280) i was left with a video card that was worse off after RMA then before i started

I have an Asus Strix GTX980. i don't like that the fan does not auto turn on till the card hits 60C but a program like EVGA's precision fixed that right quick. my ambients are about 20C with the fans on full bore i have yet to see the card hit 55C my galaxy 780 HOF would be about 10C higher than that. noise is your discretion, i don't hear mine over the wail of my 5 rad fans so no biggie there. the games i have been playing are FC4 and Metro LL both of which i max out settings on

I am not sure if the clocks are able to represent the quality of the entire design, but rather a variable condition in term of chip capability. I think, no matter how skilled and no matter the design or quality of electronical parts... OC is a lot of luck involved. In term the manufacturer is doing binning it may truly be a advantage but there is already a G1 sample with less clock than a Matrix sample, so i am pretty sure that no one is truly binning at all and if so... they are probably more or less the same level. Another thing is, i am not sure what condition they consider "stable", a almost bulletproof level of stability is unrealistic but not needed by gamers, so there is simply the question "how stable or unstable".

Last edited:
I could probably agree with that, but only because we don't have a very large sample size for the Matrix card (just two reviews).

If I had to extrapolate just from the data we do have, however, I'd say Gigabyte is binning the G1 cards a bit better, since the "average" OC is higher (again, small sample size for the Matrix cards).

Matrix all day long,

As far as the comments go, the lottery is just that , luck of the draw

What I am saying is the Matrix brings more to the table in terms of Power delivery, features component quality

What I am saying is the Matrix brings more to the table in terms of Power delivery, features component quality

Probably true, but is OP gonna use all that? Ever going to OC with LN2? I just don't know if the extra features are worth the extra money, especially when chip binning is as you say, a lottery.

Only the OP can decide if it is worth the money for himself.

All we can do is give our advice and share our thoughts.

Personally I only look at high end cards as I beat the living ****** out of them

MSI Lightning
Asus Matrix
eVGA Classified
Galaxy HOF
The occasional Vapor X & DCII

Not necessarily in that order
Personally if I was to recommend s GTX980 I would have to favor the Classy for the evbot support, that recommendation comes assuming you have an evbot

Not saying their is anything wrong with gigabit cards, just as luck would have it I have never owned a good one

However that does not mean they are not out there

The occasional Vapor X & DCII

Rest assured though, any GTX 980 is a beast :)

That said, judging by what info I've seen on the Matrix, I'd probably still go with the G1. The Gigabyte card seems to overclock better than the Matrix and is cheaper as well.

The design is really cool, and they perform very well; but they're also noisy as hell.

In term i want a GTX 980 i would probably pick the Matrix, but in term i want to get a GTX 970 then the 970 G1 is clearly better than any offer Asus got because it got the same cooler and other parts such as the GTX 980 G1.

So: :clap:
GTX 980 Matrix: Clearly top notch but insanely priced (up to 700 USD).
GTX 970 G1: Price/Performance (around 400 USD) combined with powerful cooling probably unmatched. Surely my choice, could easely get Corsairs most expensive PSU for the saved up price and the card will run cooler.

Last edited:
i know the matrix is not the same. i should have worded that better i was just trying to say that even though i would go with the asus card because im an asus guy the gigbyte card is good too. Most of all what i was trying to state was the GTX980 is a beast no matter which one you get sorry bout that

could easely get Corsairs most expensive PSU for the saved up
Why would you overbuy on your PSU? You do know the 970's are 150W cards, right? With an Intel machine, a quality 650W PSU will run 2 970's and a hex with both being overclocked (ambient cooling). Save that money. ;)

Back