• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A fix for the Audio Problems in WIN 8???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

I have just recently purchased a new Laptop with WIN 8 64 BIT installed, then did the Up dates like everyone does then for no reason my speakers stopped working altogether. I understand that this is a common problem with the Buggy win 8 OS and affects lots of different units not just mine. :rolleyes:

It would be really good to have a tried and tested fix on this web site for anyone who has the same problem, so far i have tried lots of FIXES, but not one has worked for me! :(

Here is a list of which i have tried myself so far,

2, https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=audio problems windows 8.1

3, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03257712

4, https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...q=realtek+hd+audio+manager+no+sound+windows+8

5, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-realtek/d2a2ddf7-d38e-4611-b5d2-b874bce74a42

As you can see i have done a lot of reading, and tried all of the above fixes, but none has worked for me so far the only outlet that works is the HEADPHONE JACK on the side this i have plugged into a external set up here. That works perfectly but pull that out then no sound at all, i hope someone with a better understanding of WIN 8 OS might have a fix that will work! ;)

Sorry for the long post but i needed to give you all the facts about this, i will be going back to WIN 7 64 BIT soon when my new SSD's arrive, but its sad state that a OS will not work with DRIVERS or Codec's Microsoft dropped the ball with this OS. I can now see why so many do not like it that much, to buggy for my liking and that is just my own opinion here. :-/

Kind Regards,

Ajay.

You should not under any circumstances allow Windows Update to update hardware drivers on any Windows platform ever released.
Use manufacturer web sites to update hardware drivers and only use Windows Update to update Windows operating system itself - never allow it to update any hardware drivers, especially video card or sound drivers! This advice is courtesy of 13 years of reading the ocforums and is a statistical fact, not an opinion. ;)

This has been true since Windows 98 and it is true today.

If I may suggest:

1. Remove all personal data from the Laptop.
2. Reimage the laptop to factory settings.
3. Use Windows Update to *only* update critical Windows software security updates.

4. Optionally and rather than going through the trouble of installing Windows 7 (and shooting yourself in the foot), do this and have Windows 7 interface as an option in Windows 8:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...l-in-Win-8-1?p=7758666&viewfull=1#post7758666

5. Only install hardware drivers from manufacturer web site, and do so one by one, so that you can discover the culprit if hardware driver update messes up your system.

6. On laptops, I would think twice about installing 'recommended' or driver updates because so called "recommended" (rather than critical) updates may not be necessary and may introduce additional instability into the system, why take a chance on a laptop?

It's easier to handle all this on a desktop with multiple hard drives and multiple partitions and quick imaging/reimaging.
It can be done on laptops too, but it usually takes longer to set up different partitions and a custom reamaging system on laptops... so that's why greater care should be given to what is updated on laptops...

Thanks for the reply C6 i was hoping you would take the time to look at my thread, the problem lies with the windows up dates and yes i only applied the ones that where critical.

According to what i have read and seen this is the culprit KB2962407 and Microsoft knows about it, but that does not help me right now!

All drivers where applied from GIGABYTE SITE via the up date used and supplied by GIGABYTE themselves on this laptop you can up date the Bios direct and the main drivers as well. I even tried the audio driver off the Install disk from GIGABYTE no joy, so goodbye WIN 8 and hello WIN 7, why because its well known that XP, VISTA, WIN 7 all work with the sound. ;)

Snap 2015-01-11 at 18.01.02.png

So long as it works off the HEADPHONE JACK into my speaker array i am OK and happy in the meantime, i have sent a E-Mail to GIGABYTE TECH today asking for help and guidance on this matter. This is my second unit the first was tested by the shop and was passed as faulty by there TECH DEPARTMENT by the way just wanted to know if you yourself has ever seen this problem before now C6! :shrug:

Kind Regards,

Ajay.

P.S If more info need just ask!

Last edited:
I try to make an image of the OS partition before doing Windows updates and do have things like that happen periodically, Then I reimage back and try to isolate the update that did it.

First of all, I am with you about Windows 8 and so are the majority of people... Windows 8 sucks out of the box but Classic Shell takes care of the Windows 8 UI problem quickly.

I would recommend against installing Windows 7. If you are certain that Windows Update caused the problem, I would restore the laptop to factory image and then simply not install the problem update. This will be quicker and long term less problematic for you.

At the very least, restore to factory image and test to see if you can isolate the problem update for possible future install of Win8 for yourself and whoever else owns that model laptop.

Well that is something i have learned for the future all the system building i have done in the past never had bean of a problem like i have had with WIN 8. I did install your CLASSIC SHELL but probably made a dogs dinner of it and it seems to work to some degree for me, but as OS is not my strong point. Its hard for an old dog of 60 years to understand let alone get it right the first time here, well stop talking so back to you.

Thanks for trying to help out! :salute: :thup:

I will phone the shop again on Monday to see what they are going to do if nothing!

Ajay.

Your best bet is to remove all personal files from your laptop and reimage the laptop back to factory settings.

Then simply UNCHECK the problem update, don't let it install if you can't uninstall it as it is...

I hear what you said to me C6 and i fully agree that it seems the only option, but what i am waiting for is a reply from GIGABYTE and i am going to phone the shop vendor today as well. I had a look last night and they have a FACTORY RESTORE put into the laptop which wipes everything clean and starts again as you say. :attn:

I will keep you up dated C6 as to any news this end, its a real shame because everything else works perfectly and i am very happy with the performance of this unit. :(

Regards,

Ajay.

I got a answer from GIGABYTE today and this is there idea or suggestion as a fix to the AUDIO PROBLEM!!

Question: DO YOU HAVE A FIX FOR THE LOSS OF AUDIO FROM THE INTERNAL SPEAKERS AFTER UPDATING WIN 8.I HAVE PURCHASED THIS P25 V2 CF4 TO FIND THE AUDIO DOES NOT WORK THIS IS MY SECOND LAPTOP FROM MY VENDOR. I NEED A FIX OR PATCH TO REPAIR THE SOUND THE HEADPHONE JACK IS WORKING BUT NOT THE INTERNAL SPEAKERS PLEASE KINDLY HELP ME. PHILIP FRIEND. 1/11/2015 3:48 PM
Answer:

Dear Ajay,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. This issue you are facing is caused by Hotfix KB2962407, we suggest you uninstall this Hotfix to avoid problem. Please remove this Hotfix KB2962407 and turn automatic updating off and hide this Hotfix in Windows Update to prevent installing HotFix KB2962407.

--- Remove this update :

(1) Press [Windows] key + [X] and to to [Control Panel] > [System and Security] > [Windows Update].
(2) In the left pane, click [View update history].
(3) Select [KB2962407] and right click to select [Uninstall]

--- Turn automatic updating off :

(1) Press [Windows] key + [X] and to to [Control Panel] > [System and Security] > [Windows Update].
(2) In the left pane, click [Change settings].
(3) Under Important updates, choose the ".Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

--- To hide an update

(1) Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
(2) Enter Hide or unhide updates in the search box, and then tap or click Hide or unhide updates. Do one of the following:
- If you have any important updates, click the link that tells you important updates are available.
- If you have any optional updates, click the link that tells you optional updates are available.
(3) Select the update "HotFix KB2962407", press and hold or right-click it, and then tap or click Hide update.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

1/13/2015 9:59 AM

So now i will try this a see if this really works foe me, if not then its a full FACTORY RESTORE is the only other answer i think. :shrug: :salute:

Ajay.

Yup. This effects all Windows versions from time to time, this isn't a "Windows 8" thing.

Risky business updating Windows... as you found out the hard way. I hope that simply removing a single update fixes things for you.

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner, but as you can see I have had my hands full lately!! Well the news is I did a FACTORY RESET and started again from scratch yes I got the sound back and the speakers are working so no fault there. Did the SECURITY UPDATES and kept checking the speakers no problems there all worked fine, was just about to ask you C6 what to do with the WINDOWS UPDATES. Had to turn off the laptop to go to sleep and start the next day "NO SOUND SPEAKERS NOT WORKING AGAIN" :bang head

So 2 whole days work down the drain I have really applied myself to this task, the only conclusion is "THIS OS SUCKS BIG TIME"!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Its no fun working your guts out to find by switching off the PC everything goes wrong" NO SOUND next the USB OUTPUTS, MOUSE and COOLER PAD does not work! :-/

So I have never in all my days had some many problems as this with a OS, and I set up RESTORE POINTS along the way but I feel its purely a waste of time going back and forth this is being DELETED and replaced period! :mad:

Back to you C6 and many thanks for looking in my friend! :salute: :thup:

Ajay.

The post above mentions specific instructions by the manufacturer on what to remove... you didn't post if you did that, I am assuming you did?

I think it was especially important to turn the automatic updates OFF, as they instructed so that things don't get installed that cause this, automatically.
Since the laptop is new, actually calling tech support might guide you on what to do...

Returning that particular model of laptop and replacing it with another model might be something to do as well, if they would allow you to do that?

I am sorry you're having problems... I dread to TOUCH the case door of my PC, it seems like every time I do, something goes wrong and wastes my time trying to fix it - technology is a pain... sometimes a big pain.

I fully understand what Gigabyte said C6, but 1, there was no KB2962407 TO BE FOUND!! 2, I always set windows up dates for me to pick and choose! 3, As far as I can see it does not matter what you do the end result will be the same! In other words you can nock you self out trying to fight fire and fix things and get no where. :-/

The answer is a simple one "delete delete delete" and be done with this CR-P! :mad:

I have had a laptop running everyday for 3 years now on WIN 7 64 BIT HOME PREMIUM without a hiccup with all the Windows up dates applied to it enough said! ;)

So this is the plan and answer in my eyes install WIN 7 64 BIT OS UP DATE THAT and be happy and at the same time I will be up grading the DRIVES as well to. :D

1, SAMSUNG 256GB eSATA for the OS.

2, SAMSUNG 500GB EVO SSD for the replacement HDD DRIVE.

So all the best,

Ajay.

P.S. Hope to see you on the other side, not the DARKSIDE C6 LOL! :comp:

The news is i am backup and fully running with my new OS WIN 7 64 BIT PRO and yes it really rocks my boat here, all the bells and whistles are fully working folks. Yes even my part time audio is now fully working so SAME DRIVERS AS BEFORE DIFFERENT OS, i can not believe the difference it really makes for me here. :confused: :rolleyes:

This case is now closed by me, but open to reply's for any of the members posts. :salute:

Ajay.

Hello,

I have the same problem like you , Can you Explain how do you do for the sound because i have install the driver on the CD-ROM and no sound.

Back