• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$2000 ITX Build Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you really want to do that, I'd start a separate thread. That way, future searchers will be able to find the information more easily.

That said, are you sure you want to go that route? ;)

If ITX is something you really want, I think it'd be a better idea to go with the 980 now (which will get you closest to 144 FPS) and upgrade the card down the road. Entirely up to you, of course, just wouldn't want you to completely give up on what you want just because you might have to swap out a graphics card in a year or so.

2 970s will get him to 144Hz a heck of a lot better than 1 980 will. I think he's chosen wisely. What does it matter the form factor of your PC if the output isn't doing what you wanted when you built it?

But yes, start a new thread with a link to this one.

No Optical drive? How will he use his Encarta and Dangerous Creatures multimedia CD-ROMs? :p
Great build. I'm for it.

You know I never put in an optical drive :p
The only one I have hooked up is in my HTPC, and even it doesn't get used LOL! (All files on the server)

And I'd stick with the 500gb ssd.
games take up a ton of space, I already have games that are almost at the 40 gb mark, shadows of mordor is around 37 gb I think, and dragon age inquisition is pretty up there in size too!

I'm definetly going with ATMINSIDE's SLI build with some preference changes. Let me know if its solid choices. I should have this build ordered by the end of the month. Thanks for everyone's help I greatly appreciate it! But Im still not sure if the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970s would get to hot in SLI or just stick with blower style 970s.

Last edited:
The main reason I say hold off on the 500gb, is because the SSD prices are dropping pretty steadily. Its REALLY not difficult to add another drive, and you can use a program called steam mover to move games to another drive.

Steam mover keeps registry entries intact. Not all programs can be copy pasted

Probably true. I just haven't hit it yet. So far, it's worked for Verdun, CS:GO, Tomb Raider... that might be all I've tried so far. (It also works for BF3/4).

As promised here's the update on my new rig!

Specs:
i5 4690K
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866
Corsair H110
MSI GTX 970 Gaming SLI
EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM
Corsair Air 540

Asus VG248QE 144hz Monitor
Steelseries Rival
Steelseries QcK Mass
Ducky Zero DK2108 w/ Red Switches

IMG_20150123_153009_zpsd9ivibpx.jpg

IMG_20150123_153236_zpsrfv4o4ly.jpg

IMG_20150123_195000_zpsvhrwci1k.jpg

IMG_20150123_211503_zpslt1kec7t.jpg

IMG_20150123_211252_zpsctlphax3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question. Right now I have 4 VGA cables connected to my 970s (2 per card). Should I keep it like that or use two 6+2 - 8 VGA cables for both GPUs instead or 4 separate VGA cables?

It won't matter which way you do it. Do whatever looks cleanest.

Build looks great! Thanks for sharing! :thup:

I have a question. Right now I have 4 VGA cables connected to my 970s (2 per card). Should I keep it like that or use two 6+2 - 8 VGA cables for both GPUs instead or 4 separate VGA cables?

They're PCIE power. VGA is a dead standard, and never applied to power connections. It sounds like you're asking whether you should use 4 cables straight from PSU to GPU or whether you should use 2 cables with piggyback connectors instead. Basically, it shouldn't make a difference. 970s are low enough wattage cards that they should have no problem with the piggyback connectors. I always say, though, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's a nice machine you have there.

Here is an update on the performance of the rig at stock. This is my first time benchmarking so I'm not sure what a good score is yet. Not sure how to post the Unigine Heaven scores like other people in forums do.

MSI GTX 970 Gaming x2 with MSI Afterburner:
Core Clock: 1303Mhz
Mem Clock: 3505Mhz

Temps:
Top GPU: 63 Max
Bottom GPU: 72 Max

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS: 152.5
Score: 3842
Min FPS: 32.2
Max FPS: 324.9

Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3499MHz) x4

GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4725 (4095MB) x2

Settings
Render: Direct3D11
Mode: 1920x1080 fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Disabled

Just did IntelBurnTest for 5 passes (CPU Boost at 3.9mhz) on very high settings and max cpu temps were 57 (Core Temp to monitor). So I think its safe to assume my h110 is working well.

Back