• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In desperate need of 4 GB GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm can not find a way checking temps. Guess there is no measurement spot available.
But in so many reviews i see clocks up to 8 GHz, this one too: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8
Could be worse, i guess it makes close to no difference, chip clock surely is higher matter.

...to cool them off.
Cooling down? Doesnt work the easy way without any sink attached (at least at the backside they are without sink) and the clock is pretty high. In my case the temperatures are naturally higher at he backside.

Usually i consider memory clocks a cheap "free clock" because almost no trade offs, at least as long as it will clock up all the way. ;) But im not sure if the last 500 MHz truly is making a difference.

Last edited:
Point a fan them ivy...direct cooling.

.. I forgot you have a tiny case and that likely isn't possible. I doubt it's memory temps though. Most aren't even cooled with heatsinks and overclock plenty.

Yeah, Ivy likes to find ways to cause temperature issues that nobody else has.

How to check the temp? IR thermometer.

Of course, i always find a way... thats why i got special stuff, baby cases and such, in order to make them cry, simply an expert. :D

But i guess its most likely simply a rather bad chip, because those Samsung RAM can usually clock better than that. But i have to say, when i run Firestrike at 7.8 GHz or so, the memory only starts to become unstable when i passed the rather long "forced demo", so it actually may need some heating up first... dunno.

IR thermometer and additional fan is out of question, simply to less space for that kind of stuff, would be a hassle. Finally, when a case is such tiny such as mine, backplate is maybe still of use when it can cool chips i assume.

I've got a tiny case, but no temp issues. It's not difficult.

So...... Did you try the fan?

I got no fan to use, at least nothing that is not already used inside a case. And the case is so small, it truly is almost impossible to attach fans at that spot. Backplate will surely fit, but i guess its just a bad chip... more likely at least.

Well i can try it out but no usable fans yet, may have to buy something fitable first. A fan can always be useful for what else, so a good fan is rarely wasted cash.

I dont have a house fan, it is never hot enough in my country to make it useful. The few days a year i actually have 30+ C i feel lot of joy... i would never ask for cooling (not me but the Computer). :D Reykjavik is actually pretty warm, i currently have -10 C when i open the window.

But indeed a good question, can a VRAM module become unstable at to high temperature and how high could it possible get when at the backside of PCB attached? Usually in many reviews i have seen pretty high temperature there because its so close to the graphic chip, that one can become up to 80 C (with my current setting). Guess i will find out when i "off cool" it using a good fan.

Last edited:
Back