• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NEVER, EVER use a debit card over the net or the phone!!!!!!
I took a hit that way and it was all gone... and will never be recovered.
go get a prepaid mc card from the corner gas station.

So let's say I make my purchase again with a prepaid MC and the order gets lost again how would I go about recovering the funds then over my banks debit card? Seems like I'd have more security with the debit (aside from it be directly linked to my checking and instant withdrawal of funds) than with a store bought prepaid card.

So let's say I make my purchase again with a prepaid MC and the order gets lost again how would I go about recovering the funds then over my banks debit card? Seems like I'd have more security with the debit (aside from it be directly linked to my checking and instant withdrawal of funds) than with a store bought prepaid card.

You'd take it up with the CC company of the prepaid card.
Worst case, you loose $100 or so instead of your whole checking account's balance.

Went with the z97 extreme 6 ac. Plugged in the headphones after a fresh os install and zero feedback. I start installing drivers (LAN first) and my computer locks up. Tried installing 2 more times only to have it stall again. I'm just loving technology lately. Bent pins, no RMA from Asus cause it's physical dmg, lost z97 extreme 4, and now a board that won't let me install drivers but will let me install programs :bang head

Edit: Looked around a bit and it to appears to be happening to quite a few people. I managed to install everything I needed in terms of just basic drivers but I need to restart after each install so I don't get lockups. That is BS so I will be RMA'ing this board. Luckily I have a large amount of mx-2 and my nh-d14 now so I don't have to worry about wearing the thread on the h80i rad from all the reseats haha.

If anyone knows a fix for this please give me a shout and save me some time with the hell that is RMA's. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Connected to the network via ethernet and the 2t2r wifi adapter. Used the uefi to install the realtek driver. Manually installed the intel driver on the 4th attempt through the os.

Well here is the deal right after I left a reply earlier I tried to install drivers again after updating the UEFI and running CCleaner. I was able to install about 4-5 drivers back to back before a lockup occurred. Restarted when it finally did then attempted again and it didn't lockup. I saw someone mention on another forum they were using an extreme6 (unsure if it was this model or an older gen) and they were having the same issue. They installed a driver, made a restore point, and then restarted after each driver to avoid crashes. That seems to work but I am not going to do that with any board so may just request a replacement unless there is a fix.

I wonder if that's an issue with the AC model, as I haven't seen that happen with my Extreme6 at all.

You think the cause of the crashes might be found in event viewer?

I have to RMA for a refund but it is going to cost me 10$ more due to the coupon code they gave me not being refunded until after the RMA process. I could wait until after the RMA refund has been completed but the rebate of $40 expires the 31st. The AC model also only comes with 1 year warranty so may just go with the non AC model for the 3 year warranty this time. Save myself only $15 but get 3 years vs 1 of warranty and a wifi/bluetooth adapter. Kind of wanted it so trying to see if I can contact ASRock and see if they'll have another $40 rebate for this sucker next month.

Last edited:
Okay I am on the desktop again with the new motherboard but it stalled on 2 driver installs again. First was realtek audio driver and the second was the intel lan driver. They were both being installed at the same time.

Here are 2 people with the same problems. One of them is using the latest uefi (he posted 3 days ago).

Here is an apparent workaround which was done rebooting after each install, installing drivers via uefi, and or via usb but on a z87 extreme 6.

These drivers should be able to install simultaneously without crashes. I can understand a need for a reboot for some to work correctly but not after every single driver.

Any ideas on what might be the problem or how to tackle this? What exactly should I look for in the event viewer?

Always install drivers individually. The more you try to install at the same time, the better the chance that you will encounter problems. It doesn't matter how many times you have done it in the past, it's just not a good idea.

And yes, restarting after every install is not a bad idea, weather needed or not. It is the only definite way to know that your system is using that driver. Aside from that, one install may use files that are updated by another, and if you install those 2 drivers simultaneously, one may lock that file down, thereby not allowing access to the other.

Long story short, the second link as you describe it is the way I would go.

Yeah I did that but just tried to uninstall something and same case after a fresh boot. Thinking of just getting a different board.

Downloaded a ASRrock driver updated via the UEFI onto a flash drive. Fresh image and driver installs via the updater on the flash drive while in the OS followed by restarts only when advised to by drivers. No stalls or crashes so far. Haven't tried to uninstall any of the drivers just to test if they still stall/lockup the system but it is running fine now. Hopefully the board doesn't die out either like other have reported with z97 ASRock boards haha. Unsure if I will extend warranty past 1 year yet though. Thanks for the help everyone.

Yeah I did that but just tried to uninstall something and same case after a fresh boot. Thinking of just getting a different board.

You want to replace hardware because of a software problem? :-/

If ever you encounter issues with the mobo OEM installer get the actual hardware's OEM installer. I was having trouple installing a chipset driver on an ROG board recently. Win 8.1 didn't want to accept ASUS' version of the driver, so I just downloaded the INF from Intel.com. Got a problem installing the Realtek audio driver? Download it from Realtek instead.

You should never run these "auto install" scripts anyways, like what ASUS would call "InstALL". It's more likely to cause problems than just installing each driver individually manually.
Don't go installing, uninstalling, reinstalling drivers. If things get too screwed up you should just do a clean install of Windows and do the driver install the manual way. Any drivers you had issues with from the mobo OEM, ignore them, get them from the hardware OEM instead.

Back