• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This guy was so desperate...........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow...now that is some butchering!!!! Judging by the wire management and cleanliness of the case I'd say keeping the Pc looking good isn't top priority.

At least he was able to make it fit and it is running somehow, top priority achieved. But kinda lame if ya ask me because i guess i could probably fit the currently biggest card, a W3 from Gigabyte inside a mini SFF case without damaging it... at least im gonna try in term no good GTX 960 offer the next 1 month. Another thing to consider is the general bad assembly of the case, because a good case, for example the Lian Li PC-V354, got removable HDD bays in term a card is to big in size (at the expense of lesser bay capacitys of course but gamers dont need many bays), that way even a monster card can easely fit. However, the Stix is a 27 cm "standart baby card", really... can easely put inside one of the smallest SFF... I would say, go show me a 30 cm thing i and i may show some tears.

In general i think the card size may go up at some point in the high end range (and true gamer cards with high cooling) and we may see 30 cm, "the 1 feet standart" as a standart size instead of the pretty much common up to 27 cm size. Because the cards nowadays are such incredible hair dryers that there is always the demand for more cooling and without WC there is only 2 ways: Increasing lenght or making a 2.5+ slot design, maybe increasing hight too. The increase in lenght is certainly the better deal, so a multi GPU setup is easy to achieve. 2.5+ slot is more difficult and the increase in hight can also lead to many issues... but still funny how the manufacturers are trying to "cheat" theyr way into better cooling, sadly the "slot standart" got less and less meaning in the high end/true gamer range, so always have to use a measurement tool before buying it. :D Weight is only a issue in term MB is not mounted at the bottom (standart tower maybe), but there is "GPU mounts available" in term of weight issues. 10-15 years ago i would never have guessed such a "increase" but the GPU demand is remaining at a critical condition... the matter remains unchanged even 10-15 years after and the solutions more and more funny to watch. Surely one of the most funny thing is the
it got a total of 4 fans, even a top mounted one... crazy crazy... although the cooling is only matched or beaten by WC solutions.

Last edited:
been there done that. :)

the old 3870x2 didnt fit in my mid tower case, it ended up looking alot similar to this. lolol thank god for floppy bays

Its always good to have some Alu cases, not only for temperature but even in order to make some required "changes"... it is simply way more soft than nickel plated iron or whatever some manufacturers got in mind in order to cut cost. When i was modding my SFF (in order to increase airflow, not for fitting purpose), it was pretty easy to make "adjustments" using a carpet knive, no freaky stuff needed at all and not even excessive force, just skill and some patience. The interesting thing is that most "open GPU coolers" (they dont drag the heat out of the case), this is almost any cooler except reference design, usually got better cooling performance when the case is open. Because a open-cooler design is self sufficient, most of the case support is only a dorn in the fan it seems. So in that term i have to ask myself why to put a case around the hardware in term the room could cool it down even better, as people can see here when case opened the high end coolers usually run "cooler": http://www.tomshardware.de/nvidia-g...up-vergleichstest,testberichte-241658-21.html
At some point i have to ask myself... is a case just a design element or a true addon to the cooling? Well dunno... a PSU and a CPU cooler is self sufficient too, the so praised airflow is not always a bonus, or the bonus is smaller than expected. So a "test bench" is actually a pretty good case i think and it can fit absolutly any card size not bigger than your door. :D Fact is, in term i can separate a open-cooler card that is self sufficient from the rest of a SFF case as much as possible i could fit almost any card, no matter the TDP and no matter the size of the case, it simply need to have a big open spot. Fact is, the open bench table was the winner... even compared to a tower.

Last edited:
There is the difference between "open cooler" and "closed coolers" related to the GPU. A open cooler is usually a array of many fans simply blowing to the sink and most heat will be pushed into the case (bad bad in term the case is not a elite one and big sized). A closed cooler is less effective but most heat will be dragged to the outside without heating up the case. The issue with open coolers simply is, they may perform better at a test-bench and have absolutly no need for a closed PC case at all. Now the hint is useful for builders of small SFF systems... most likely not you.

Hope you get it, else i cant help.

Besides... yes i like to lol but even more i do enjoy to see some point and reasons for having a topic (not just pure entertainment value), and i actually was finding some hints useful for myself (maybe some others too).

But whats the point? Just having a laughter? Ok why not... hope people are handing out even more pics then.

There is the difference between "open cooler" and "closed coolers" related to the GPU. A open cooler is usually a array of many fans simply blowing to the sink and most heat will be pushed into the case (bad bad in term the case is not a elite one and big sized). A closed cooler is less effective but most heat will be dragged to the outside without heating up the case. The issue with open coolers simply is, they may perform better at a test-bench and have absolutly no need for a closed PC case at all. Now the hint is useful for builders of small SFF systems... most likely not you.

Hope you get it, else i cant help.

Besides... yes i like to lol but even more i do enjoy to see some point and reasons for having a topic (not just pure entertainment value), and i actually was finding some hints useful for myself (maybe some others too).

OHHHHHH I get the point of this thread now. Hmmm, I thought it was just a guy who bought a GPU with out measuring and decided to make an adjustment with a ball peen hammer. We're good. Thanks.

I didnt expect him to be that stupid but im used to people unable to understand stuff. Regarding the peen hammer.. oh yes yes interesting but tell me something new, because stuff like this is all around the net and people may be surprised how many damage inexperienced (if they are desperate or just incapable, thats another story) users are causing. Although im glad you (whoever did) enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Back