• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New initiative: FAH on Android Mobile Phones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
January 12, 2015 by Vijay Pande ·

I’m excited to announce today our new initiative for Folding@home on Android Mobile phones, with a beta version being released today. In collaboration with Sony, we have brought Folding@home to Sony Mobile phones starting today with broader Android support in the coming months. The rationale for moving FAH to mobile phones is simple: there are millions of phones and they are becoming extremely powerful. Indeed, with our open source OpenMM code (http://openmm.org) optimized for mobile phones, we get performance comparable to what we were getting on desktops just a few years ago. Moreover, we have completely rewritten our server backend in order to handle the needs of mobile devices. In particular, our Streaming Backend (also known by its internal project name ‘ocore’) can seamlessly distribute work from one phone to another, so even a short amount of compute time on a phone can make an immediate contribution to our project.

With the computer power available, we plan on tackling two key challenges. First out the door is a project on breast cancer. In this project, we are investigating the nature of drug resistance mutations in key proteins (kinases) that are targets for breast cancer drugs. By studying the nature of how these mutations change these key drug targets, we will be able to both advance our basic biophysical understanding of these key proteins as well as build a tool to be used for patient specific breast cancer treatment –– by sequencing the tumor and seeing what mutations are present, our tool seeks to recommend the best drug for a specific patient. Next, we plan to follow this project with a protein folding project, related to misfolding disease (eg Alzheimer’s Disease).

Note that this is a first beta release and certain elements are not in place just yet. Nevertheless, we’re very excited about this next step forward, both that we’re moving into a new space but also that we’ve put the pieces in place such that mobile can make a significant contribution. We have other projects going on as well, so look for other announcements in 2015 for additional FAH initiatives.

Source

Last edited:
This is cool - some kind of future I guess?

Sadly no Sony phone here either, so I'll just have to wait - or rather BOINC with "HTC Power To Give" as i do for team32 :)

Update

Folding@Home client for Android Mobile phones
March 19, 2015 by Mark Piercy ·

We’re happy to announce that our Folding@Home client for Android Mobile phones has now entered the next stage of beta. This version is available to all Android Mobile phones with version 4.4 (Kitkat) and above. The version also contains an update of the mmlib.

Scientifically, as in our previous beta run, we continue to focus on the breast cancer with our the mobile app. In this project, we are investigating the nature of drug resistance mutations in key proteins (kinases) that are targets for breast cancer drugs. By studying the nature of how these mutations change these key drug targets, we will be able to both advance our basic biophysical understanding of these key proteins as well as build a tool to be used for patient specific breast cancer treatment— by sequencing the tumor and seeing what mutations are present, our tool seeks to recommend the best drug for a specific patient.

We are planning user experience updates in the coming months, including updates in areas suggested by donors. We have been very excited about the donor reaction so far. The beta version has been downloaded more than 150,000 times worldwide, with more than 53,000 mobile phones contributing at the same time.

Source

I wonder what PPD a phone gives and how badly this kills battery life.

edit: from looking at the reviews on the play store:

It will run for 6 hours per day
There's currently no team/passkey support
Looks like phones have to be fully charged to run (?)

I just noticed theres no team/passkey support (yet). What a shame, but I'll put my new LG G3 to work tonight to see what it can do.

I'm due for an upgrade, and my blackberry is showing it's age, but I would really like to see the ability to fold for t32 even on my phone, once I can do that I'll fold on my phone too, until then GPU is where it's at

I just finished my first 4 hours on this. There are quite the limitations compared to BOINC on when you can run, but I guess for this to be mainstream it's better to aim for that night-only, when you already are folding, not affecting your day battery time. I miss points, if only to compare phone performance ;) About 58000 phones are folding right now, compared to about 9400 with points last week on EOC.

The max 6hrs is probably to stop crazy 24/7/365-folks hoarding smartphones ;)

Back