• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding between which OS to choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

My Samsung 256GB EVO arrived today (unlucky day coz today is 13th in India). So I will have to install the OS on it and keep the 2TB Seagate HDD for storage. Now the problem is I have a copy of WIndows 7 Professional as well as Windows 8.1 OEM(received it on Christmas). Although I have used Windows 8.1 in the past, I don't like it because AERO is missing and also the start menu is missing. I am a fan of Windows 7 though. Now I am faced with a problem. Support for Windows 7 is ending today. Many of my friends are saying to go with Windows 8.1 since according to them, Windows 7 will stop getting driver updates.(I don't think it's true). So what do you guys suggest? Stick with Windows 7 or upgrade to 8.1? :screwy:

Install 8.1, search here for the write-up C627627 did for installing Classic Shell, and you're done.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is the gaming performance of Windows 8.1 same as Windows 7? I play games like NFS, Crysis 3, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Metal Gear Rising, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4 and Batman Arkham Orgins.

What does the word 'support' mean?
Updates for Windows 7 will be available until 2020. Did you know that updates for Windows XP were officially available until 2014 and that Windows XP security updates are still being released and will be until (at least) 2019?

Rule of thumb (if I may suggest) is:
Do not update from a perfectly working Windows 7 to Windows 8.... but from scratch?

Windows 8, absolutely, since for most people Windows 8 stops being a problem after this is done:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...l-in-Win-8-1?p=7758666&viewfull=1#post7758666

Attachments

• Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows 7.png
    Microsoft Support Lifecycle Windows 7.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 147
Thanks a lot everyone. Completed installing Windows 8.1. I did a secure erase of my HDD and SSD prior to that. Now I am noticing one thing that 8.1 seems to not support DVD playback. ANy software that I can use for that purpose? I am thinking about CyberLink PowerDVD. And also, what's a good antivirus for 8.1? I have narrowed down the choices to Bitdefender Intenet Security, Avast Internet Security and Eset Smart Security.

VLC is the top dog for media playback.

I recently found an excellent app for ios (maybe android as well?), vlc remote. Let's you control playback from your phone and works very well.

I've never used an anti virus, so I'll let someone else answer that.

I don't use an AV outside of whatever W7 comes with (MSE/Defender). Damn near everything else is bloatware these days (AVG, Avira, etc).

If I may offer my 2¢: Antivirus software has officially become a bloatware nightmare. I agree with everyone posting about that, it is a HUGE problem now to install it and modify it and reduce the bloatware problem... so what do you do?

I do have my free antivirus legitimately intercept something, even in browser cache, so having an antivirus with good definitions is still important... I mean what would have happened if I didn't have anything... native Windows 8 protection may simply not be enough... and no I don't browse to dodgy places or download dodgy stuff, it's about legitimate sites being *taken over* and injected by third parties - not the site owners themselves posting malware traps.

So it i s a headache to install, but here's what I do:

1. First, btw, this is an alternative to VLC. It can be custom modified easier than VLC and has more features than VLC, there is no other player like it that I could find, I love testing features on these... so DAUM Potplayer for universal playback of everything, packed with more features than anything else out there: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...deo-player-DAUM-PotPlayer-skin-customizations

2. Avira. What a headache to install. What a nightmare of bloatware it has become. But definitions-wise there is no alternative. Still looking for alternative after all these years but there simply is nothing to rival Avira's definitions.

Involved setup though [IMPORTANT: scroll down to see How To disable Notifier nag screen when finished installing.]

UNINSTALL AVIRA ESSENTIALS after installation complete - it is the first Avira entry in Add Remove Programs list (if there are two entries).
DO NOT ALLOW AVIRA TO UPDATE IMMEDIATELY AFTER UNINSTALLING THIS ENTRY or else Avira Essentials will be reinstalled.

DO NOT CLICK ON Accept and Update when prompted immediately after set up finishes. Click on X to close the window > Cancel? > Yes

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Click on Next, ignoring Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom
UNCHECK: I want to improve my protection using Avira Protection Cloud
CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next > Next

CHECK: Confirm manually when sending suspicious files to Avira > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(LEAVE UNCHECKED: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

DO NOT CLICK ON Accept and Update when prompted immediately after set up finishes. Click on X to close the window > Cancel? > Yes

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically when you right click on Avira icon in the task bar > Start update

or download the latest key file from:
http://personal.avira-update.com/package/peclkey/win32/int/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue License file link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

Options:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Warnings > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> First click on OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

Also block this Avira messaging popup nag file from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

Security TAB will only show up on NTFS formatted drives.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

I suppose if i said WIN 7 64 BIT PRO then there would be a almighty out cry against me on here! :chair:

I only mention this due to my own personnel experiences of late with WIN 8 or 8.1 what else can i say without telling the truth. :attn:

I would have installed WIN 7 64 BIT PRO as C6 kindly said, its still supported to 2020 another 5 years and i find it a good solid OS for me. ;) :thup:

Ajay.

Thanks a ton guys for your suggestions. I have installed VLC and Avira and so far so good. Now how do mark this thread as solved?

erm you probably edit your first post then scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the mark as solved button :)

thanks dj :)

I'm contemplating buying a new laptop and I, too, faced with deciding between Win 7 and Win 8.1. Win 7 resides on all of my desktops and lappies, but I'm also looking forward to Win 10. At that time, I'll buy a stand-alone rather than a "add-on" to my existing OSs. Still, with the classic shell additions, Win 8.1 is intriguing. So I've closely followed this thread. My nest door neighbor has Win 8.0 and, having messed with it, I can honestly say I hate it. Maybe 8.1 is better, but the classic shell is an absolutely necessity for my wife and me. Truth be told, the final decision is most likely out of my hands as I'm not sure I can buy a new MSI GT80 Titan with Win 7 installed.

Anyway, thanks, guys, for a terrific thread.

Each to there own as they say, but i am happy with the way things are working for me here. :) ;)

Regards,

Ajay.

Last edited:
Back