• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time, board suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chevy350

Registered
Going to be upgrading CPU and Motherboard in the next couple weeks. Going with 4790K and Z97 series board but having trouble deciding on the board. Was looking at a couple from MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, and Asus. I'm trying to figure out if I can get by with just 6 SATA ports since I still use a DVD burner. Have a total of 4 SSD's and 2 HDD's. Not planning on going crossfire anytime soon since the single 290X does just fine with 1 monitor. Max price I could possibly go would be $180 since the wife's comp is getting upgraded as well. Any suggestions or "stay away from this brand"? :rock:

The i7-2700k is still a good solid CPU did not see any mention of what Mobo you have in your SIG! I would keep it and Overclock it to 4.5 or more with the right cooling.

I had the same CPU running Abt 4.7 to 4.8 that was fast and could handle most things out there!

EDIT: On second thoughts get a newer Mobo that will work with the 2700K and then later you could just change the CPU when needed.

Ajay.

Last edited:
EDIT: On second thoughts get a newer Mobo that will work with the 2700K and then later you could just change the CPU when needed.
You were good up until here... The upgrade to SB to IB is just about pointless.

I'd keep what he has until Broadwell or Skylake.

Correct ED, but until he gives us the low down one is just whistling in the wind for now.

Ajay.

Thought that was in my sig, currently have the Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z that I bought about a month after it released lol. I know the 2700k is still a decent performer but after 3yrs of gaming and benching I'd rather just upgrade to DC and see how long that will last me. I usually upgrade every other year regardless of minimal gains and send out my used parts to friends who could use them. I'll get my sig updated so I can update it again in a few weeks lol. Thanks for the replies, and as far as waiting for Broadwell it's mainly going to depend on their pricing and what I can get one for at Micro Center lol.

The Extreme 6 is a really good bang for your buck, though I do agree with the above. Just wait till Broadwell comes out, though do understand if you just have the itch.

z97 OCF

$ 180.00 after rebate

Arguably the best out there

But agree, your current set up is fine , next gen is less than 6 months away

Broadwell appears to be a very short term chip from (what little) I have seen. Skylake later in the year, if I was you with the hardware you currently have, is what I would wait for.

Just scratched it, picked up a Asus Maximus VII Hero for $179. Thought about waiting for Broadwell but probably won't have the funds in 6mos :( older home in need of renovations going to take priority about the same time. Now if I could get my credit score up a bit more I could get a Micro Center card...then the house would just have to fall apart as long as power and internet still worked then we would just have to manage lol. Thanks for all the replies and recommendations, it's much appreciated :D Also have a buddy in need of an upgrade, still on a Q6600, and he's already drooling at the 2700k and MIVE-Z lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back