• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

#NoPreOrders - 2015

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Is anyone else participating in this movement against pre-ordering games before they are released?

I, personally, will not be pre-ordering any games this year after the fiasco with all of the broken game launches in 2013 and 2014. I will be waiting for reviews and likely buying after launch date when games go on sale.

Being, for all intents and purposes, a 'one game pony' (BF4 and a few others get some time, but not a lot). Naaa.

Good idea though and I support it... but if I want BF5, Im getting it day 1. :)

I look at BF4 as a perfect example of the motivation of the movement. BF4 was incredibly broken at launch and took them a year (more?) to fix the netcode issues, random crashing, failure to load, etc. Battlelog is still buggy for me (found around 10 servers to be able to play on when I tried to play last week) and the game crashed after a few rounds.

Even with my peculiar setup, I'm ok (295x2)... I guess I don't change much in there and run off favorites and history so I don't see a lot of that side of things.

It is a great example, but... its the only game I really play so...

*buys h1z1 SA*
hmmm after this one perhaps.
bf4 pissed me off
dayz is starting to
bout all ive bought tho, i didnt even buy bf4 in advace i dont think

Battlefield 4.... worst purchase ever (pre-order too... I never pre-order games.... BF4 strengthened my want to never do so again).

I almost never pre-order unless you count Early Access games. Several Early Access games have left me disappointed being bugged or unfinished.

I wonder how much money, % wise, comes in on pre-orders of games versus their total haul...

...(would show how much weight something like this would hold!)

For percentage, I would love to know how much of these profits actually go to the devs or teams behind the games... I could probably just google it, but, I'm feeling lazy.

Btw, is it just me, or is $60, hell, even $50 just a bit much for these games especially the digital games without need for a disk. I don't know why I have a pre-conceived comfort zone for game pricing, but it is generally $30 - $40 for new titles for me.

I kind of slowed down on the whole pre-order deal after dropping $60 on DNF, which I played once for maybe 1/2 an hour and never touched again (not home so I can't check exactly how much time I have logged).

These days I really don't see the point. Ooohhh, I spend $60 on a game with no actual player reviews and I get the super special Tactical Hello Kitty package, which provides exactly zero impact on gameplay but makes your *generic marine #224b* model SOO KAWAII with pink sneakers...

I wonder how much money, % wise, comes in on pre-orders of games versus their total haul...

...(would show how much weight something like this would hold!)

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/42008/USA/

From looking at that hundreds of thousands to million+ copies have been pre-ordered (especially looking at multi-platform games). So of course depending on the size of the market for that game and the totan number of sales you could be looking at probably up to 5-10% of copies sold. That may not sound like a ton in the grand scheme of things, but that is a pretty large chunk of money to pay for something without having it.

I also imagine that doesn't include digital preorders as generally Steam (and I'm unsure of other digital distributes including xbox live and psn)

For me personally, Blizzard titles are about the only safe purchase for pre-orders. I will say though, Diablo 3 exp was the FIRST blizzard game since original SC that I didn't pre-order. After BF4 being an "Ok" game I won't be pre-ordering any BF games in the future. I would, however, pre-order HL3 if it ever came out....

I pre-ordered GTA V on steam.
And may be getting Evolve as well before its released I need something to tied me over till the March 24th release of GTA V.

As for any others...donno. I'll preorder if I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Been long *** time since I pre ordered though...I think I preordered GTA V when it was released on 360 but thats it.

I say preorder it if think you will like it or played a beta of it or if its sequel to a series you enjoy.

Otherwise...I wouldn't raise a stink about it. If devs start finding less money in PC gaming then it can only get worse for PC and better for console.

Otherwise...I wouldn't raise a stink about it. If devs start finding less money in PC gaming then it can only get worse for PC and better for console.

If I understand it right, the movement isn't about just PC games, it's about pre-orders in general, so there might be a fairly hefty impact to console pre-orders as well. It's possible that devs then look to PCs as a way to get some of that money back :shrug:

can we wage war on in app purchases and adverts in droid games too?

then maybe storm playstore and remove the 90% crap on offer there?

maybe I should just quit computin and live under a rock... grrr tecnorogy :(

I don't usually pre-order games as it is, though I do make some exceptions, like the upcoming Witcher 3 release.

Anything by EA/Activation/Ubi, I will not pre-order. CD Projekt Red, Bethesda, or BioWare I will still pre-order. Anything Introversion puts out I'll buy as soon as they'll let me throw money at them. Pre-ordering isn't really the problem here - it's lack of education. If the unwashed masses are too lazy to remember how often certain publishers and studios have screwed over their customers, there's not much you can do about it.

Back